Darth Maul: Apprentice (Short Film)

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #233161 by Proteus
This is (actually) a fan-made film...

Warning: Spoiler!

:ohmy:

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adder, Alexandre Orion, Avalon, Loudzoo,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #233162 by Alexandre Orion
"No mercy nor compassion limits you ... .... this is the beginning of the end for all Jedi."

We may want to learn something from that ... :)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: Proteus

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #233164 by
Brilliant. Her wild swinging fighting style made me cringe.

So, here's what I never really got. What was the magical element that Obiwan had that made him win against Darth Maul? He was clearly not better than his master, and revenge certainly wouldn't have been the tool he used... that's a Sith trait. It's the same thing that Luke used when Vader mentioned turning Leia to the dark side. Suddenly he went all "NEVER!" and had the ability to win.

If anyone could put a finger on what to call that, it would sure be helpful.
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by .

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #233165 by Proteus

Snowy Aftermath wrote: If anyone could put a finger on what to call that, it would sure be helpful.

"Form V", which kind of mimics swinging a bat (or broad sword) as opposed to many others who are a bit more like fencing or katana swinging.

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 weeks ago #233168 by

Proteus wrote:

Snowy Aftermath wrote: If anyone could put a finger on what to call that, it would sure be helpful.

"Form V", which kind of mimics swinging a bat (or broad sword) as opposed to many others who are a bit more like fencing or katana swinging.

I meant about the middle paragraph, lol, but ty xD

More
8 years 2 weeks ago #233169 by Alexandre Orion
As for me, I'll just call it "choreography".

What struck me too there, was how well the actor portraying Maul brought across the conflict he was feeling -- he had to overcome himself to not be merciful and compassionate. It was similar to the way Prowse brought out the despair of Vader on the passerelle after Luke had been taken away (Ep. VI). All that with no words ... (in Prowse's case, no visual expression either)

It is interesting to ponder how that balance gets upset : we need the space to let it wiggle on the axis. There is naturally that moment (and sometimes it can seem a long moment) of 'conflict' where we have to choose between doing what we feel like doing and what we know we ought do. And there is the element of pondering that "ought" that wiggles that wiggle a little more Force-fully.

There are better things to look at in this film than lightsabre technique. That is merely dance next to the underlying message.
;)

~ David Hume

~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Zenchi

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #233170 by

Alexandre Orion wrote: As for me, I'll just call it "choreography".

There are better things to look at in this film than lightsabre technique. That is merely dance next to the underlying message.

;)

I'm not asking about fighting styles. Meh. Forget it.
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by .

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #233172 by Alexandre Orion
I'm sorry, Snowy ... I think I understand now.

What was the magical element that Obiwan had that made him win against Darth Maul?

It's the same thing that Luke used when Vader mentioned turning Leia to the dark side. Suddenly he went all "NEVER!" and had the ability to win.

I don't know what that is called, if it is called anything in particular. It seems to me just a "darkest before the dawn" moment, where - in the circumstances demonstrated in those scenes - there were very limited possibilities. In neither Obi-Wan's case of hanging off of that 'whatever it was', nor Luke's of hiding under the estrade, could they stay there forever -- it was a mini "belly of the whale" réflexion moment for both. In that réflexion arises the realisation that one must act and in doing so, perhaps fail and die, but if one doesn't act, one will have failed and probably still die -- along with everyone else.

There comes an epiphany, a déclic, where one knows one is just screwed. Odds are, we can't get to it unless we're 'just screwed'. That is what Campbell and Watts (notably referencing Jung) were talking about with regard to "sublimation". When death is far away, it is a horrible demon ; when it is upon us, it is sublime.

Is that what you were talking about ? :)

~ David Hume

~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by Alexandre Orion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 2 weeks ago #233173 by

Alexandre Orion wrote: I'm sorry, Snowy ... I think I understand now.

What was the magical element that Obiwan had that made him win against Darth Maul?

It's the same thing that Luke used when Vader mentioned turning Leia to the dark side. Suddenly he went all "NEVER!" and had the ability to win.

I don't know what that is called, if it is called anything in particular. It seems to me just a "darkest before the dawn" moment, where - in the circumstances demonstrated in those scenes - there were very limited possibilities. In neither Obi-Wan's case of hanging off of that 'whatever it was', nor Luke's of hiding under the estrade, could they stay there forever -- it was a mini "belly of the whale" réflexion moment for both. In that réflexion arises the realisation that one must act and in doing so, perhaps fail and die, but if one doesn't act, one will have failed and probably still die -- along with everyone else.

There comes an epiphany, a déclic, where one knows one is just screwed. Odds are, we can't get to it unless we're 'just screwed'. That is what Campbell and Watts (notably referencing Jung) were talking about with regard to "sublimation". When death is far away, it is a horrible demon ; when it is upon us, it is sublime.

Is that what you were talking about ? :)

Yes! And woo! what an answer. I'm going to have to think about that.

The word "sublime" just keeps popping up in my face and knocking the breath out of me.

Thank you :cheer:

More
8 years 2 weeks ago - 8 years 2 weeks ago #233185 by steamboat28

Snowy Aftermath wrote: So, here's what I never really got. What was the magical element that Obiwan had that made him win against Darth Maul? He was clearly not better than his master, and revenge certainly wouldn't have been the tool he used... that's a Sith trait. It's the same thing that Luke used when Vader mentioned turning Leia to the dark side. Suddenly he went all "NEVER!" and had the ability to win.

Honestly, it was probably an instinctual slide into a lightsaber form Obi-Wan didn't know at the time, Form VII. Juyo (and Mace Windu's variation, Vaapad) was a wild, unpredictable form that allows the emotions to have a greater impact on the style itself. The reason Windu kept Vaapad to himself (and his apprentices) is because it skirts so very close to allowing the Dark Side to take control. I just always assumed that something in Obi-Wan snapped in that moment, and he just got a little too angry for a moment.
Last edit: 8 years 2 weeks ago by steamboat28.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi