Battlefront

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209549 by
Replied by on topic Battlefront
As far as I'm concerned the movies are the story. This is the one time that I don't care if the game has it's own real story.

I do very much agree about the entire concept of DLCs though. It's ridiculous that they sell half games at $60 a piece then charge another $50 to get the rest. But they do it because people will pay it.

I wonder of some company were to say "we will not release partial games and then release DLCs. If you get a game made by us know that it is a full game with no add on's needed" if they would do well provided the games were good. Do you think people would be more likely to get those games knowing that the company wasn't going to do the DLC scam?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago #209550 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Re:Battlefront

Goken wrote: Ok, so who has played, or is at least planning on playing, the new Battlefront?!

It is awesome!

My favorite part so far is probably flying an X-Wing. That and when I did the Hero level on Hoth as Han Solo. Running around killing Stormtroopers while Han mocks them is great! LOL

Got it yesterday, love it!!!!!!

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209552 by
See, when it comes to Star Wars I was the kid that had all the EU books. I bought them secondhand and loved them. I am reading the new ones and the comics, just the Journey to the Force Awakens ones, not all of them. I get more out of the movies that way, but it's taste.

I don't mind DLC when it's skins, emotes, non-story missions. It's when they kill the gameplay, functionality, or story to nick another 15 bucks off me that I get upset.

See, I have this crazy idea that I would pay $100 for a game...if I got all of it when I downloaded it/ picked it up. All the maps, all the missions, all the characters, everything that makes the story and game whole. Sell baseball caps or golden weapon skins, sure, but don't sell parts of the game that you just didn't finish but intended all along. I think that people would pay for that, that's what a season pass is supposed to be, but the companies have just moved on to holding onto to core DLC till the pass is over....but, as long as we preorder, buy editions, and pick up DLC it's not going to get better. It's a catch 22.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209587 by

Goken wrote: I wonder of some company were to say "we will not release partial games and then release DLCs. If you get a game made by us know that it is a full game with no add on's needed" if they would do well provided the games were good. Do you think people would be more likely to get those games knowing that the company wasn't going to do the DLC scam?

Nintendo has said that, doesn't seem to be working for them.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #209593 by
When it comes to DLC in general, it is definitely a way to make extra money by teasing you with extra goodies and levels, but I think in the case of Star Wars, this could actually be a benefit.

The Deluxe edition of Battlefront has the Endor, Hoth, Sullest, and Tatooine that we know and love from the original trilogy and prequels along with the original characters. And they still haven't even touched the many more environments that we already know about.

Now, let's look to the future. They have already promised the Battle of Jakku expansion to anyone who pre-ordered it and we will get it before anyone else. It will bring the game closer to the current story line of Force Awakens.

As the new movies come out and the shroud of secrecy gets lifted, there is opportunity for the game to evolve along with the emerging story line via DLC. Characters, planets and vehicles can be added as they arrive on the big screen. It isn't that far fetched to imagine playing as Kylo Ren looking for Vader's burnt mask on Endor.

The downfall of this will be that the evolving game will outlast the console hardware it is designed for. We'll constantly be buying the newest fastest hardware and thus we'll need the game on the newest fastest delivery method. If it is all DLC, at least we won't have to buy new hard copies for every new generation console.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #209608 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Battlefront
I think though this game is just a bit of fun pushed out to coincide with the movie.

I always want more :lol:
I would have done it slightly more like SWOTR in some regards, and have released the engine code, main planets, and a single Rey type scavenger persona as a standard character with minimum weapons as the base program, for a smaller cost or even free. And then unlock DLC characters based on progression through tasks and/or money spent. The difference between SWTOR and this is probably the money invested into the production I guess, so they need to turn a profit somehow, I just prefer the free or low cost base accessibility coupled with a more segmented profit model which itself again is more accessible if someone just wants to be do one or two parts. This also allows in game money to be earned etc etc, so people could really choose their own path a bit. Keep people coming back for some reason or another. I'm not a big fan of how fragfest's treat the sanctity of life... automating killing etc, it teaches the removal of a moral compass in decision making. That said I don't not play them
:pinch:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #209659 by
I'm a bit on the fence about the game. I played the Alpha, and it was fun, but maybe a little too simplified. I'm used to Battlefield 4, and I enjoy the complexity and customization involved. I had Battlefront pre-ordered, but I canceled it because I needed the money. I may or may not purchase it when I have the money :\

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #209663 by

Adder wrote: I'm not a big fan of how fragfest's treat the sanctity of life... automating killing etc, it teaches the removal of a moral compass in decision making. That said I don't not play them

I would certainly agree with this sentiment when it comes to the first person shooters coming out now. I wish there was more problem solving and puzzle type missions like the true RPGs instead of just running around a map murdering everything.

More
8 years 4 months ago #209737 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Re:Battlefront

Senan wrote:

Adder wrote: I'm not a big fan of how fragfest's treat the sanctity of life... automating killing etc, it teaches the removal of a moral compass in decision making. That said I don't not play them

I would certainly agree with this sentiment when it comes to the first person shooters coming out now. I wish there was more problem solving and puzzle type missions like the true RPGs instead of just running around a map murdering everything.

And Battlefront is very much about running around and killing aimlessly. I found out the following, however:

- depends on the map. Missions in forests etc. tend to be more tactical than those in the desert. I think it has to do with the visibility of the avatars. If all game figures stick out like a painted dog, it's basically a turkey shoot.

- in connection with the latter: I think the Empire would be better off adapting their Storm Trooper armor color to the fighting scenario. In the forest battles, you're at a serious disadvantage playing as a Storm Trooper :-)

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #209764 by
I like it so far, but I don tlike being such a noob and getting owned by guys with better weapons and hands when I am used to being the god of Halo 4.
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi