Terra Prime Temple Learners

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #196756 by
Hi!

So, my non-TOTJO apprentice, Lars, was talking to me about his Lightsaber studies. After listening to his arguments and looking at the research, I have decided to look into it as a possible discipline. I got a tiny primer at the Jedi Gathering, and I did have a good time. Baru was an excellent instructor.

I know we have lightsaber threads every now and again, but I thought I would make one for those of us who practice the discipline of the Forms.

The main argument that I found beneficial is that Shii Cho (Form 1), is firmly grounded in Kendo. When I began to realize that these "real world" forms are being developed based on historical forms with a history of success, then I felt more comfortable getting involved in the project.

I have a battle saber that I bought a while back. My first desires in this are:
1. Get some foam practice sabers.
2. Learn the form of Shii Cho.
3. Get a sparring partner(s) in Indiana. I have candidates. :P

I believe the form that will best suit me in the end will be Niman, Form 6. Of course, that's extremely subject to change. lol.

I guess this thread could be used to talk about those of us who are working on such things as part of a spiritual discipline.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #196761 by steamboat28
I've wanted to hop into Terra Prime since I discovered it, I just keep missing their enrollment windows. I've studied bits and pieces of other martial weapons styles, but never anything comprehensive, necessarily, and it's just cool.

I think it would be neat to see the interaction in a (fictional) martial art made real and a (fictional) philosophical viewpoint made real, when both stem from the same fiction and have been developed almost entirely separately. I think that would be a very interesting course of study. Not to mention, I think it does a spirit good to find the soul of the sword once in a while.

This is one of the things I'd thought about doing later on in my Temple studies, beyond the barrier of knighthood. Since TPLA teaches online (and i think has certification courses), and the Temple's primary meeting place and form of study is also online, I think it's only natural for those of us who might like that sort of overlap to develop some kind of study group around it. Perhaps if we contacted them and said "Hey, this is who we are, and this is what we want, and this is how many [strike]nerds[/strike] students we have who would like to add this to their meditative and spiritual practices," we could get them to work with us a little (since they normally only open classes once in a blue moon), or maybe help empower us to self-teach what they have to offer.

I know it'd get my fat butt off the couch more.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
8 years 8 months ago #196770 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Terra Prime Temple Learners
The Forms for me are mindsets and not techniques, though each Form would work better with certain techniques which mesh with the fastest and most accurate outcomes. In this regard it is a formless form in the classical sense which aligns to Bruce Lee
:lol:
Though I'm still pretty much no-where in how to actually manifest it as a training regime because martial arts is not something I took as a physical discipline (beyond strength and flexibility), rather a mental discipline to master 'everything' and utilize real world systems in real world applications.
Back to the topic, I'd love to see more and should force myself to do more physical stuff in this regard else my ideas will continue to evolve too damn slow for my liking!! So for me its just I need to practise kata's probably and see where they fit into my Form's... that'd be my interest in it.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #196771 by OB1Shinobi
sparring partners will be the single most useful thing

a lot of the form techniques will go out the window when you start really wacking each other (at least at fist) and most will come up with a few of their own moves that work for them and not so well for others

it sounds like a great idea and lots of fun, best wishes

People are complicated.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #196772 by
Replied by on topic Terra Prime Temple Learners
Adder, you are quite literally describing Niman, form 6. Which is also known as the Formless Form. The form of the Rancor.

The master of Niman learns the forms, and then applies the most applicable.

I am happy that I have seen a little interest in this today... I may try and reach out to Terra Prime to see if they can help us get a little group started. If we shared training online (via unlisted Youtube), and found sparring partners. We could make this a whole thing.

I'll check it out in the coming weeks and see what comes of it.

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #196774 by Adder

Connor L. wrote: Adder, you are quite literally describing Niman, form 6. Which is also known as the Formless Form. The form of the Rancor.

I take other parts of the fiction, such that Form VI is a reduced version of Soresu, designed for "confined spaces" being one of two specialized defensive Forms. This Form suited "dual wielding and multiple opponents/objectives because its tighter movements ensuring greater control and its speed and flow." and therefore is based around using a Cylindrical Coordinate System of processing, which then goes to define what movements are applicable based on circumstance. Us Jedi cannot agree on anything
:silly:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

More
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #196786 by steamboat28

OB1Shinobi wrote: sparring partners will be the single most useful thing

a lot of the form techniques will go out the window when you start really wacking each other (at least at fist) and most will come up with a few of their own moves that work for them and not so well for others

Yeah. The purpose of "forms" in any martial art (that's still actually a martial art) is to build muscle memory, so that when SHTF you don't have to spend precious time thinking, you can just kind of react. The bridge between the muscle memory of the forms and the actual application is usually what winds up being hardest for most people in the beginning, but with a good sparring partner and a decent way to study, it becomes a lot easier.

[hr]

Connor L. wrote: I may try and reach out to Terra Prime to see if they can help us get a little group started. If we shared training online (via unlisted Youtube), and found sparring partners. We could make this a whole thing.

thatwouldbesocool.
Last edit: 8 years 8 months ago by steamboat28.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #196787 by

Adder wrote:

Connor L. wrote: Adder, you are quite literally describing Niman, form 6. Which is also known as the Formless Form. The form of the Rancor.

I take other parts of the fiction, such that Form VI is a reduced version of Soresu, designed for "confined spaces" being one of two specialized defensive Forms. This Form suited "dual wielding and multiple opponents/objectives because its tighter movements ensuring greater control and its speed and flow." and therefore is based around using a Cylindrical Coordinate System of processing, which then goes to define what movements are applicable based on circumstance. Us Jedi cannot agree on anything
:silly:

lol you could, but I don't see why you would think of it that way. :P It's definitely it's own thing.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 8 months ago #196801 by
Interesting, Form 3 is a version of Form 6 and Form 1 is like a maxed zoom of the upper parts scattered on the table.
So like the Kabbalah where branches hang down from the roots the systems like Jedi, or martial arts, or training materials may appear to be different. What if I can't see the saber does that mean it doesn't exist?

More
8 years 8 months ago #196821 by Adder

Connor L. wrote: lol you could, but I don't see why you would think of it that way. :P It's definitely it's own thing.

Huh? I was answering your OP sentence "I guess this thread could be used to talk about those of us who are working on such things as part of a spiritual discipline." and not about the Terra Prime program per se. No one can claim authenticity as the basis is entirely fictional, and what is 'popular' does not really matter to me so much. My program is much more 'truthful' to me then what other people are doing with Forms, but there hopefully is an overlap as that would benefit more people... and I'm always open to taking on board other peoples ideas too.

I guess not everyone will have their own view of Forms, but even in lightsaber groups they seem to create their own interpretations of it different from other groups (in my limited exposure to them looking online). It might just be another one of these topics where we discuss our own individual views, peoples groups views, hypothetical views, or the various sources of established fictional views... as 'all' being valid representations of themselves. If this thread is actually just about Terra Prime then that is kewl too!!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi