the new saber designs...what do you think?

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #183865 by RyuJin

OB1Shinobi wrote: once i understood that light sabers were made of light i imagined the duels being more like laser pointer battles than sword battles
which made jedi even more impressive

that's another aspect many swordsmen forget...a lightsaber doesn't have a sharp edge...it can cut from any angle

this allows for a greater range of attack positions than any sword art can provide...

i think the crossguard was made with "intimidation" in mind as it is wielded by a sith...the unstable blade is likely unstable due to too much power going through the crystal...which would fit in with the intimidation factor...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by RyuJin.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #183870 by
I really wish they had kept to EU too...I was looking forward to seeing Jaina and Jacen Solo Twins in action. Leh Sigh.....

The Cartoon Star Wars Rebels has been good so far. And the last episode had both myself and my husband jumping out of the bed with surprised gasps and hands clamped to mouths in elated joy :-p LoL

But my stance on the sabers remain. They could have had the same scenes if not even better without all the fanciful creations. The fight scene in the last episode felt short and cheated by that blaster saber, and I cant help but roll my eyes everytime the inquisitor makes his saber spin its sooooooo Cheeeeesy! :pinch:

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 1 month ago #183876 by RyuJin
gotta also remember they're trying to distinguish that time period from the others...the prequel trilogy brought us the double bladed saber...the original brought us the lightsaber

it would be nice to see a live action movie with ahsoka...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #183882 by
That would be so cool!

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #183885 by Adder

RyuJin wrote: that's another aspect many swordsmen forget...a lightsaber doesn't have a sharp edge...it can cut from any angle

And with less force seemingly.......... despite contradictory concepts of weight and balance shown, as it would appear in the prequals that they have less weight then in the original trilogy - or the same weight but Vader was old and tired and Luke was inexperienced and weak, making them look heavier in the original - though come to think of it, that was just the fight scenes. When Luke was first given the saber it looked pretty light.

I think to replicate them we'd need to get suits which give you a shock when any replica lightsaber blade hits you, like a fencing outfit, and score on contact electronically. I think that would be more accurate to what fighting with the lightsabers in the movie's would be. Heavy steel blades, cutting edges and pointed tips aren't going to come close IMO.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RyuJin

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 1 month ago #183891 by RyuJin
i think luke and vader were just poorly conditioned and were winded from all the rapid movements during the fights...vader hadn't needed to fight in ages, and luke was inexperienced....

Quotes:

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #183892 by RyuJin

Kitsu Tails wrote: That would be so cool!

i have a soft spot for strong willed, smart allicky, women with lightsabers...no matter what planet or alien race they come from :blush:

Quotes:

Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by RyuJin.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 1 month ago #183910 by
haha nothing wrong with that XD You should watch Rebels ;)

More
9 years 1 month ago - 9 years 1 month ago #183916 by OB1Shinobi

RyuJin wrote: i think luke and vader were just poorly conditioned and were winded from all the rapid movements during the fights...vader hadn't needed to fight in ages, and luke was inexperienced....

yaknow, the way i took it was that the actors and direction didnt have the capability to really do it the way it "should" be

like i just use my imagination to fill in the blanks - if a dude can practically fly and move star fighters around with his mind and react quick enough to block bullets and duel with laser pointers hes way more badash than the 70s were capable of capturing

i just took it to be as close to the essential vision as lucas was capable of with the reslurces he had

People are complicated.
Last edit: 9 years 1 month ago by OB1Shinobi.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
9 years 1 month ago #183979 by TheDude
Ezra's: I've trained with 1 handed swords before. Believe me, they provide much better and more reliable wrist control than with other blades (since these blades tend to be shorter). The saber pistol is a wonderful idea, one that makes perfect sense. The hand guard, too, makes good sense, as historical single-handed fencing would regularly involve attacks to the hand. I like this one the best out of the new three.

Inquisitor's: Let's face it, this one really has no inherent flaw. It can be single or double bladed, or rotating. It's just additional aspects of the saber. Good as a thrown weapon now, but it really makes you choose between attack and defense while it's rotating. Maybe we can call this a "light shield"?

Crossguard: Bad idea. Crossguard lightsabers have been done before and done right. This one, once the blade meets another one and the hand slips up a tiny bit, you've fried your own fingers off! Why would you do that? Even while practicing my jian, I occasionally have my hand pushed up to the guard.

Also, let me say something about lightsaber pikes. A polearm works well because it is mostly wood with a metal weighted blade at the end. The saber pike is mostly metal (heavy) with a small, light plasma blade at the end. I don't see how you could even swing it correctly!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi