Jedi and Padawan in the fictional Star Wars universe

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #158413 by
I have been watching the animated series The Clone Wars for the first time recently - so much fun! I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't yet seen it.

Anyway from some of the episodes I have seen that include Luminara Unduli I have had a strong feeling that I would have liked to be her Apprentice more so than the other Jedi in the movies. I was wondering if anyone else had ever identified with a particular Jedi in the same way? Also, does anyone know, maybe from the expanded universe, how the Jedi and Apprentices in the fictional world were matched up?

P.S. Does anyone know right off hand which of the expanded universe books include Master Luminara? I could look it up I know but I just thought someone might know right off the top of their head.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #158415 by RyuJin
In the fiction there were many ways and reasons apprentices were matched to masters....ahsoka was matched to anakin because she was stubborn (like him), overconfident (like him), and most importantly the council wanted him to have to deal with being able to let go of attachments...apprentices and masters form a bond, and at the end of the apprenticeship the master has to let go so the apprentice can move forward...the council knew (or suspected) that anakin had difficulty in letting go...some matchings occurred due to cultural reasons (same planet of origin, species, etc), some matchings were because an apprentice required the teachings that only a certain master knew( some masters specialized in a skill or technique, for example obi wan specialized in the saber art soresu and was renowned throughout the order as THE soresu master...

I found luminara to be a bit dull for me...if I were to be the apprentice of a clone wars master it would probably be mace windu...he mastered all the saber styles, created a saber style (vaapad), and was the only other council member whose opinion was valued highly by yoda...as to the movies....well in the original trilogy it was vader, in the prequal trilogy it was qui gon....in the new trilogy we shall see...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by RyuJin.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #158422 by
I can definitely see how she would come across as dull. I think that may be what I find attractive about her, she seems to really embody the coolheadedness of the Jedi but in a warm sort of way, like a good balance between duty and destiny. Emotion, yet Peace.

More
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #158423 by Kit
I grew up without heroes...or so I thought ;) I figured out recently that my heroes are the ones I found in books and movies that I looked up to :D so you're not alone :D In Star Wars I think it was Qui-Gon and Plo Koon whom I looked up to the most. If I had a choice of fictional masters, it would be either of them. I feel like with everyone else I'm along side them with their paths if that makes sense.

Depending on the time, the Jedi Masters chose their apprentices. I remember reading the books where Obi-Wan was chosen. They would do a lightsaber tournament. It was to see how they handled pressure more than winning the tournament itself. Obi-Wan had to BEG Qui-Gon to take him. If I remember right, it was his last chance because he was becoming too old. But that's the only story I remember reading where someone was chosen as an apprentice.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by Kit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest, Edan,

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #158425 by
"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force. The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined: the crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one."
―Luminara Unduli

It makes my spirit sing :)

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 7 months ago #158431 by RyuJin

Targeran Arynal wrote: "The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force. The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined: the crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one."
―Luminara Unduli

It makes my spirit sing :)

The crystal code...it was part of the ip when I did it, I don't know if it still is...I also remember the episode she said that in...which came a few years after I did the ip...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
9 years 7 months ago #158433 by Breeze el Tierno
With regard to how padawans were chosen in the fiction, I recommend Yoda: Dark Rendezvous. Masters and apprentices finding each other is the underpinning of the whole book. Generally, a quick, fun read.

I enjoyed Luminara as well. Not flashy at all, but highly reserved and focused. The more I learn about Qui-gon Jinn, the more I like him as well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #160917 by
I think Kit Fisto would be a cool Jedi Master to train under

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #160920 by
I'd probably pick Obi-Wan. I like his saber style and his personality. You can see his loyalty to his friends while he remains detatched. He was patient and smart, avoided confrontation whenever possible but was no push-over. I almost have to force myself through an episode of the Clone Wars if he's not in it.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi