Why did Kreia turn to the dark side(Opinion's!!!)?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #154722 by
Hello Star Wars fans and Jedi's alike, This has just really queried my mind and would like to know your opinions on why she turned to the dark side after being on the light side for the majority of KotOr2.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Traya <--- A bit of information about her.

As you can see from the URL displayed above that her name is "Darth Traya". If that helps for identification's sakes :P

-James

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 8 months ago #154725 by Amaya
I don't think she was on any side but her own, I played this only on Xbox but she tended to use whatever opportunity came up to further her own plans and influence others..
I think she was neither dark or light.. So did she turn or just stay true to who she was?
Kinda in between more shadow ?

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 8 months ago #154740 by RyuJin
She remained grey until the end, her seemingly dark turn was because she felt that the galaxy would be safer if there were NO force users at all. She came to that conclusion only after observing the outcast managing to survive without the force...remember she was against the outcast training any of the companions as jedi. Near the end she had passed the mantle of darth traya on to atris...

I love this game and have beaten it light, dark, and grey, I've unlocked all the characters' jedi paths( those that had them), also learned that kreia was also known as arran kea...the handmaiden's (brianna's) mother...I've explored every combination of classes as well...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaya

More
9 years 8 months ago #154769 by Breeze el Tierno
Respectfully, I disagree. I don't think Traya was ever anything but dark. Regardless of her intentions, she was always evil.

In the first place, Traya's behavior always came from a place of control. She always knew better. The people that control us on such an essential level (that is attachment, right there) come from a place of deep fear and resentment. If one's first impulse in an intervention is control, even subtle control, then one is coming from a dark place. We can ignore it, but we can't escape it.

In the second place, Traya thought nothing of taking on the moral authority to punish, abuse, and murder with impunity. By any objective standard, that is bad news.

There is a discussion within the community that amounts to a question of means and ends. Can I do a bad thing for a good reason and still feel okay? I believe this is a false question, fundamentally dishonest.

My sense is that the means cannot be separated, morally or practically, from the ends. The way we do a job cannot be separated from the product. History is replete with examples. When we build a good society on terrible acts, we create a rot in the center of our communities.

Kreia wanted what Vader wanted, what Cadeus wanted, what any dictator wants. She wanted enough control to make to save the world from the rest of us. People require leadership. People require guidance at different times. But virtue cannot be imposed on people. The horror of that violence will always bear out in the end.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #154770 by
As I recall, Kreia wanted to destroy the Force.

More
9 years 8 months ago #154771 by Breeze el Tierno

Khaos wrote: As I recall, Kreia wanted to destroy the Force.

Oh yeah! I forgot that part among all the other work-a-day carnage and general jerkiness.

A pretty dramatic choice to make for everyone else. She's not someone you want around.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
9 years 8 months ago #154772 by RyuJin
Ah but by the game's mechanics she remained grey...was I the only one that paid attention to the little alignment bar on the character info page while playing? :lol:

Everytime the exile performed a light act she chided him for creating weakness in others, everytime the exile performed a dark act she chastised him for taking advantage of other's weakness...

Even at the end before dying she thanked and rewarded the exile...

I really hope they make a kotor 3...

Generally the ends don't always justify the means, sometimes though someone has to act and bear the consequences...a thief stealing for gain is morally wrong, a thief stealing for survival falls into that rather large grey area...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
9 years 8 months ago #154773 by Breeze el Tierno
As for why she turned to the dark side in the first place, I think she more or less addressed that. Perhaps what they say is true: Hurt people hurt people.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 8 months ago #154775 by
Yes, by the games mechanics she remained grey.

Palpatine also managed to project a force signature that did not oust him as a Sith Lord.

Not even force sensitive.

So that means little.

Manipulation would be part and parcel of her being a Sith.

More
9 years 8 months ago #154776 by Breeze el Tierno
I always took her alignment bar in the middle to mean that she was concealing her essence from the Exile and, perhaps, from herself. Jolee Bindo was supposed to be grey, and he was a very different cat.

I am not one to condemn a person who steals because they are starving. That is not my goal. But I take it as axiomatic that a morally problematic means creates a morally suspect result. This is something I apply to my own thinking. It is not my place to judge each and every moral choice I encounter. And I understand that you weren't suggesting that. I just wanted to be clear.

Kotor 3 would be awesome. Still, I am enjoying swtor, even if I only get to play once a week, if that. I had no idea that Kreia was Brianna's mother. Nifty.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi