Chapter One

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #5940 by
Replied by on topic Re:Chapter One
First I would like to comment on religions and the divides, wars ect. that they have, as a whole, brought about. Religion is a meme-plex, a collection of memes (which is a contagious information pattern). Every religion, at some point in time of its history, has been either auto-toxic ( Jonestown, \"martyr\" syndrome), exo-toxic (Crusades, the inquisition) or both. Thankfully one of two things have happened, these religions have decided to include tolerance into their meme-plex or society has become immune to the more radical memes involved.

Regardless one has to look at the good and the bad of all situations and while religion has been decisive it has also been beneficial to many societies and people. Plus we have to remember many religious texts are passed down from a deity, to humans, who then translate it to paper. It is perfectly reasonable to think that there is a chance that said humans were ignorant to the message, made some flaws (we all do) or twisted the message to fit their own agenda. So responsibility for the divisions and wars goes to the individuals, organizations and possibly texts involved.

On to other things, the idea of \"self\" and \"other\" resonates strongly. I believe there is no reason to have to reconcile the \"individual\" and the \"collective\". Take a tree for example, the leaves on the tree from a passing gaze seem very similar and they do in fact share many qualities but on closer inspection they all have differences, some subtle, others not so much. They are unique and individual, yet at the same time a part of a whole that is the tree.

And as far as being connected to the universe, well it is scientifically sound. All of the heavy elements, for instance iron in our blood, is for lack of a better word...stardust. So technically the iron in the human blood stream originated in some star that went supernova as the dawn of the universe.

All in all is was a good read, I look forward to the next chapter...tomorrow...after sleep. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #5955 by
Now that was a good read. Considering how long it took us to be born if you trace it back to the stars is ... neat.

A+

Thankee Sai

Br. John+

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 8 months ago #6028 by
mandoade wrote:
On to other things, the idea of \"self\" and \"other\" resonates strongly. I believe there is no reason to have to reconcile the \"individual\" and the \"collective\". Take a tree for example, the leaves on the tree from a passing gaze seem very similar and they do in fact share many qualities but on closer inspection they all have differences, some subtle, others not so much. They are unique and individual, yet at the same time a part of a whole that is the tree.

I love your image of the tree and I find it astonishing how Mr. Watts puts into words (seemingly easily) what I have felt for so long. Of course, having survived a couple of blizzards this past winter we could also talk about snowflakes... ;)

More
16 years 7 months ago #7118 by Zanthan Storm
Replied by Zanthan Storm on topic Re:Chapter One
Ok, so i had to reread this chapter a couple times.

We are all the same and different. I am a human being like everyone else on the planet this connects me to the collective group of humanity, I am a teacher, medic, father, and many other things. there are things about myself i find unique. However, I believe that the connection between us all is that we are all human beings and our individual abilities and characteristics make us better able live.

The best way i can explain it simply is a web. Each strand looking the same but is in reality different in many ways. However, the strands all connect and support each other providing a common link.

Zanthan Storm
AKA Rev. Michael Ziskovsky OCP D.Div.

Master Knight of Jediism
Founder of Roseville, MN Chapter of TOTJO

Current Apprentice: The Coyote
Past Master: GM Neaj Pa Bol
Past Apprentices: Sr. Knight Kira, Knight Myos, Doriann

"Let no one thing control your life, seek to be complete and at peace."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #9069 by
I found it most interesting how he discusses that self realization is the new taboo which I agree with completely now that iv sat back for a few hours and thought about it. Very few people actually look into themselves, I hear people talk about finding their unique purpose in life or religions saying that the purpose of every person is to love \"god\". When the truth is that each person is their own reason and they can do what ever they want and are slaves to person or thing. There are people that have scared themselves, bleed and died in the name of a god. They are like pieces of paper floating in the wind, fluttering about with no particular path or reason except to be guided by some force that they have faith in.

The Asian religions that he discusses are beautiful in their complexity and views. what is interesting is how all or most old religions personify almost every aspect of their belief system such as Shiva.

I have only begun to look into jediism but I'm really beginning to like it because rather than saying \"here are all the answers to your questions in this book\" like many religions it seems that the core message of the Jedi is \"come along with us so that we may find peace with ourselves and this universe.

I'm hoping to complete all the chapters and then seek out a Master that will help me on this path of self discovery.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 5 months ago #9072 by
Derc Denolo wrote:

I found it most interesting how he discusses that self realization is the new taboo which I agree with completely now that iv sat back for a few hours and thought about it. Very few people actually look into themselves, I hear people talk about finding their unique purpose in life or religions saying that the purpose of every person is to love \"god\". When the truth is that each person is their own reason and they can do what ever they want and are slaves to person or thing. There are people that have scared themselves, bleed and died in the name of a god. They are like pieces of paper floating in the wind, fluttering about with no particular path or reason except to be guided by some force that they have faith in.

The Asian religions that he discusses are beautiful in their complexity and views. what is interesting is how all or most old religions personify almost every aspect of their belief system such as Shiva.

I have only begun to look into jediism but I'm really beginning to like it because rather than saying \"here are all the answers to your questions in this book\" like many religions it seems that the core message of the Jedi is \"come along with us so that we may find peace with ourselves and this universe.

I'm hoping to complete all the chapters and then seek out a Master that will help me on this path of self discovery.

You are off to a good start. I'm not looking for you to agree with everything Watts says, although you might, but to see your understanding of the material and a defense of your position.

A+

MTFBWY,

M (Br. John+) Instructor

p.s. Jediism not jediismB)

More
16 years 5 months ago #9074 by Garm
Replied by Garm on topic Re:Chapter One
Ahhh, I remember these...

I shall review and jump in where I left off...somewhere around chapter 3 or so.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10170 by
Hmm. Deep reading there. Kind of confusing. This isn't a book report is it? I ask because I'm not sure that I caught exactly what he was throwing. But I certainly DID develop a line of thinking while I read it. Here it is in a nutshell, I have nothing to fear:

Mankind, as a whole has areas of topic which we historically just don't discuss with others. Can't say I'd be too comfortable giving sex tips to my daughters, Nor would I ever deal in absolutes such as saying, \"We are Christian, because I'm the Father. And God is the almighty.\"

It seems to me that he is calling for a review of religion. As in, the old \"If it ain't broke, don't fix it.\" attitude toward religion is outdated. e.g. Many old religions used sacrifices and rituals to appeal to the Gods for rain. In today's culture, science has proven why it rains, and we can reasonably predict it without dancing in special garb, or murder virgins, first born children, etc. for it to happen.

In faith, we believe in the unknown. But why should we believe in something simply because millions of others have? We are able to think for ourselves. We should make the most of our lives and do what we can to better it for ourselves and others on our own accord.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 years 3 months ago #10174 by
I did find this to be a good read in that it does make one think. I very much liked the eyes trying to look directly at themselves. I feel this sometimes in myself, that I am trying to see myself thru myself, Or even in spite of myself. I believe there is a connection between all things and this chapter does touch on this a little. It tends to lead toward all one thing is the same but individual. If this is so then it leads to all individual things are the same one thing, human, tree or bacteria. I see how this could be but I also see how everything could be just connected but not same, as in the hand is not the human but a part of, the same is true of the human and tree are part of but not the universe.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 6 months ago #19583 by
Finding the root of man's fighting with each other, is a touchy issue.

I have come to the conclusion, that it is about people as a whole having so many differences. Many of us want our differences to be reconized, and some people think they should deserve special treatment because of their differences. Religion is one of those differences. We all know the havoc religion has caused upon man, as well as the good things. And it is so easy to say \"We should look past our differences\". To what though? Some people think we need a common goal, to unite upon.

I can only repeat a quote I once read in a book about love. And it states

\"Love is not so much two people looking each other in the eyes, but to people looking forward together in the same direcection.\"

Hopefully the force can give us all direction.

Alasias Link Moonwalker

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi