Lightsabers ARE possible

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306838 by
Lightsabers ARE possible was created by
I came across an interesting video and thought I should share it. I wonder if anyone could put more input on this..

https://youtu.be/ozRHF_edOko

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306849 by
Replied by on topic Lightsabers ARE possible
Possible? Perhaps... one day, in the far distant future. Many of the experiments given use huge machinery to achieve individual results (the stopping light for a fraction of a second one wasn't the same machine that allowed light to become matter for a second and collide with another photon). And even then, in its current form its only for a fraction of a second.

Even then, what would be the use of it? If we got this tool down to what we see in the SW universe (which is what people seem to be interested in recreating), what would it do? It would be a excellent breaching tool. I imagine it would be quickly applied to fire fighting teams to get people out of burning buildings, burning cars, ect. As for law enforcement, well, I imagine they'd stick with guns. The criminals would still have guns, and... well, guns will usually win against a sword.

As for use in the military... same problem. Also, do we really want these things falling into the hands of terrorists? Because that would be a possibility. Besides, again we see that guns outclass swords. If I ahve the choice between a C7 or a Lightsaber against a terrorist using a AK... well, yeah, I'd be grabing the C7.

And then finally, would WE (the Jedi community) use them? I'd hope not. What we have available now is expensive enough, and more than we need. Plastic blades and LED, far more than adequate in my opinion for the purposes that we have for them (pictures, practise, because they're cool).

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306871 by
I wouldn't want anyone to be limited to just one weapon. Especially I the age of firearms. Though I think they could still be handy in a fight. Since it would be some time before they could be made. Other weapons and armor would ride the tech wave with it. Someone might find themselves blocking a shot or two. Who knows? Lol.. it wouldn't hurt to be as proficient in defense as we are in The Force :lol:

The other ways this new discovery in physics can be used is what gets me really. Computing power translates into better AI. New ways to power our homes and improve communication. Better tv lol. We're really at the turning of an age. At least it feels that way to me. With all that's going on, there are good ways the old age is ending. Can't fight over oil anymore I guess lol

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306873 by
I don't think it will take us too long to actually make practical uses for this technology. Especially if "peace" is finally achieved worldwide.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306875 by

Jaedon Adar-Barnaby wrote: Someone might find themselves blocking a shot or two. Who knows? Lol.. it wouldn't hurt to be as proficient in defense as we are in The Force :lol:

Are you talking about the armour of that time being able to take a couple of shots, or being able to block shots with a lightsaber? If the latter, until we truly do become Force sensative, that would be complete blind luck. Even somehow managing to block one or two shots in a blast of thirty is not enough. ;P

More
6 years 4 months ago #306876 by Carlos.Martinez3
At least it feels that way to me. With all that's going on, there are good ways the old age is ending. Can't fight over oil anymore I guess lol

Lol
Oh my you are so right . Welcome to the new world . We as humans can do quite a lot without adding greed to it . I my self am waiting for the day when we have solar powers homes , no more company's needed and I eagerly await the extra add on to teslas cars and automobiles that allow them to store and generate their own energy without plugging in. Shhhhh don't say that too loud . Greed and industry drive a lot of invention, nessecity is often the persuit of money and riches but maybe one day we can find ways to get heat to those who can't afford it or even better electricity and power to those who want it without ... greed and companies and such. I'm looking forward to the day when we run out of bullets in the world or the need for them. Maybe the saber will come back. You know ... some day ... I'm still trying to get blankets to those who Don't have em and feeding others who are hungry...

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306879 by
@Arisaig- Both actually lol and it could be enough if the deflection is well placed. Though against more opponents I'd recommend matching firepower. Do you not feel sensitive to The Force though? I wouldn't think you'd be here if you didn't "hear the call"..

@Carlos- Well, if it wasn't for greedy companies. A lot of those self-sufficient techs would be readily available. Greed stifles innovation. Necessity drives evolution. We already have the capability, but power mongers stand in our way. They're driving change, through conflict, to benefit their worldly power. I believe they're the root of poverty.. and the lack of blankets lol

Though I believe some conflict, life tests, are essential for growth. We can't evolve with all this unnecessary artificial conflict. I believe we can help bring about a true age of peace, harmony, balance. In fact, I believe we are destined to.. maybe just not at our current embryonic stage. Lol

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306880 by
Well not too long ago gained US tax exempt status. Lol

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago - 6 years 4 months ago #306881 by

Jaedon Adar-Barnaby wrote: @Arisaig- Both actually lol and it could be enough if the deflection is well placed. Though against more opponents I'd recommend matching firepower. Do you not feel sensitive to The Force though? I wouldn't think you'd be here if you didn't "hear the call"./.l

Well yeah, but not to a level to block bullets with anything besides a shield. XD There is a difference between hearing the call of the Force and being able to do the physically impossible. ;P You can place a deflection wherever you want, but if it ain't where the bullets are, you're gonna lose.

EDIT: To explain, the "call" pulls me towards doing my best in all situations, always. To grow always.
I can grow all I want and do my very best in that kind of situation, but still, blocking even a sinlge shot would be powerball odds.
Last edit: 6 years 4 months ago by .

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 4 months ago #306882 by
"The Book of The Law" is in our library right? That's knowledge for the "unnatural" application of power.. the Dark Side is a pathway to many abilities.. :wink:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi