Is Seeing Believing?

More
7 years 6 months ago #260950 by Loudzoo
Is Seeing Believing? was created by Loudzoo
I think I may have posted this before but having searched for it I can't find it on TOTJO anywhere :whistle:

Its a documentary about perception and how our perceptions of reality are often 'augmented' by what our brains believe to be happening - rather than what is:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1y2uep_e04-is-seeing-believing_tv

There are good Darwinian reasons for the brain to do this but it is easily tricked and this means we miss things that might otherwise be obvious and we imagine things that aren't actually there!

Reminded me of this on many occasions :laugh: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDIrOE_fnl8

If we get the wrong end of the stick with our physical senses - what are the chances that we run into similar problems with with far less obvious things such as understanding other people, their motivations, their thoughts and their beliefs. Worth bearing in mind when we think we know what is going on!

The Librarian
Knight of TOTJO: Initiate Journal , Apprentice Journal , Knight Journal , Loudzoo's Scrapbook
TM: Proteus
Knighted Apprentices: Tellahane , Skryym
Apprentices: Squint , REBender
Master's Thesis: The Jedi Book of Life
If peace cannot be maintained with honour, it is no longer peace . . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manu, Adder, Ben, Alexandre Orion, Zenchi, OB1Shinobi

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #260957 by Carlos.Martinez3
I am not the brightest crayon in the box but I do know this one thing, I know nothing some days. I see things every day. some of them by all accounts shouldn't be. I mean the math and logic just don't pan. Some days im glad I don't have to know everything, ill go stark mad! Some times its ok not...to have explanations. Not all the time but some times, just sometimes you gotta just be in the mindset of "Foolishness yet..wisdom" Gotta have a good balance.

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ben, Loudzoo

More
7 years 6 months ago #261030 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Is Seeing Believing?
Am I the only one who can tell at a glance that this clip is from the 1997 special edition or re-releases thereof? :D I suppose it's one of those things that once they are pointed out to you, you can never unsee again. Oh well.

So, at any rate, yes, there is this general problem with natural selection that tends not so much to push a gene pool towards something more favourable or advantageous but rather to favour what ever happens to survive. It is - to use a popular creationist mockery - "survival of those that survive" and thus we end up with perceptory organs and brains that have within past generations been surviving at greater rates rather than those that are fundamentally better suited to discover truths about the world.
It is this folly, this imperfection that makes critical thinking and skepticism so necessary if we ever want to get any closer to anything genuinely accurate or useful. This begets a scientific method quite naturally and inescapably, as we try to eliminate as many biases as we can. Far from an expression of arrogance some would love to portray it as, it is instead a result of the recognition and acceptance of the limitations of our monkey brains and an attempt to carefully though boldly move on.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28, Loudzoo

More
7 years 6 months ago #261031 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic Is Seeing Believing?
If you've seen it before please dont give spoilers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi, Loudzoo

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 2 months ago #273744 by
Replied by on topic Is Seeing Believing?
To be quite literal about the subject, seeing is knowing. To believe requires some measure of not knowing. Therefore believing in something means having no proof but you think it's real anyway. Like Santa Claus.

More
7 years 2 months ago #273817 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Is Seeing Believing?

Hade_Daemon wrote: To be quite literal about the subject, seeing is knowing. To believe requires some measure of not knowing. Therefore believing in something means having no proof but you think it's real anyway. Like Santa Claus.

Says who? As far as I understand, mostly when people say they know something they mean that they really believe it strongly and confidently. And when they say they believe something it appears that they mean that they think of the given assessment as... well, accurate. It seems then to me that unless we define knowledge in ways that are much different from how people typically use it, knowledge would be a subset of belief. And given the actual OP (as opposed to the title alone), the issue here is that our senses can and do deceive us, and so the question naturally forms of whether or to what extent we should have confidence in them. Certainly, we do not know everything that we see, but should we even so much as believe them, much less claim to be certain of them?

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi