Microsoft's 'teen girl' AI turns into a Hitler-loving sex robot within 24 hours

More
7 years 7 months ago #253564 by JamesSand

These guys aren't idiots. They knew what they were up to.

Tsst. I'm calling Occams Razor on this one.

Let's not assume malice when ignorance is a perfectly likely reason.

As for

Trolling an AI with sex and politics proves nothing other than trolling with sex and politics is a cheap and accessible form of entertainment to english-speaking tech-savvy twitter users.

Demonising "tech savvy twitter users" has an interesting tone when said by someone else...on the internet.

If we were old folks feeding the ducks, sure.

Sad that we live in a world where that happened. Definitely not ready yet for the masses

"We" live a world? It is our world. "They" and "We" are the same people.

I also don't see it as sad, we corrupted a script, and probably learned things from it - about coding and about people.

It was arguably done in an assinine way, but I'd call it a success.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #253567 by x57z12
Assuming ignorance by Occams Razor works when the issue it is assumed on/for matches a Gaussian distribution. Seeing as that which was fed to the bot was rather one-sided, the assumption of ignorance seems a lot less likely than the assumption of intend.

Arguably judging the actions would be inefficient. Who knows if it were trolls, ignoramuses or people pointing out a morality flaw in a new technique. Obviously there is value in analyzing the results, still I believe it to be somewhat telling that apparently our first dominant instinct in this case was to flood the thing with racism and bigotry. If you are aiming to see the gained knowledge of this, it would serve well to try and see all of it instead of being selective.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #253569 by JamesSand

Assuming ignorance by Occams Razor works when the issue it is assumed on/for matches a Gaussian distribution. Seeing as that which was fed to the bot was rather one-sided, the assumption of ignorance seems a lot less likely than the assumption of intend.

I was assuming ignorance by the bot designers of the eventual outcome, not of the people "feeding" it information.

Who knows if it were trolls, ignoramuses or people pointing out a morality flaw in a new technique.

Oh, trolls, I feel confident enough in that, but I'm not too bothered by what they thought they were doing at the time, only by what they achieved.

I believe it to be somewhat telling that apparently our first dominant instinct in this case was to flood the thing with racism and bigotry.

This may have to do with where it was "released". As alluded to earlier - what if the program was given free reign somewhere else, or not identified as to it's purpose?

If you put your nice scarf in the kitty litter tray, you can bet it's going to smell like cat piss.

(I still hold that the people who wrote the program either didn't know, didn't think, or it didn't occur to them that Twitter is the communications equivalent of a kitty litter tray - I'm fairly sure it's not worth any of their jobs to intentionally make microsoft look foolish)

I never saw the thing in operation, so all my thoughts on the matter are wildly speculative.

Anyway, the Marines have a phrase - Good Initiative, Bad Judgment - that probably applies to these sorts of endeavours.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by JamesSand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi