Astronomers about to discover a first alien civilization?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 7 months ago #205866 by

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #223158 by
So I'm still following the story of this mysterious star and it's odd behavior. They've already pointed all sorts of sensors and stuff at it and determined that there are no radio waves coming directly from it. Recently astronomer Bradly Schaefer decided to look through some really old data to see if that star (which some have started calling Tabby's Star after the person in charge of the team that discovered it's weird behavior) had been recorded previously. He found it! More impressively he found data that showed that the star has been dimming since the late 1800's! Not in any sort of even manner either. It'll go down a bit, then up a lot, then down below the earlier data, then up just a bit, and so on and so forth. Over all though it has dimmed about 20% since it was first recorded over a hundred years ago.

While this still isn't evidence of aliens, it is very similar to what we'd expect to see from a Dyson Array being built around a star... :whistle:

I got my info here , Phil Plait's blog Bad Astronomy. (a great science blog to follow for those so inclined).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago - 8 years 4 months ago #223167 by
Pleasebealienspleasebealienspleasebealiens.

and then

Pleasedonteatmepleasedonteatmepleasedonteatme.

This is the first I've heard of this, just now, and my brain is all kinds of sizzling from the possibilities. Exciting stuff!
Last edit: 8 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #223201 by

Snowy Aftermath wrote: Pleasebealienspleasebealienspleasebealiens.

and then

Pleasedonteatmepleasedonteatmepleasedonteatme.

This is the first I've heard of this, just now, and my brain is all kinds of sizzling from the possibilities. Exciting stuff!

When I came across the original article and shared it on Facebook one of my cousins had a similar reaction. His theory was that any civilization that could create a Dyson Array was one that we might not want to meet. I don't know. I think it could be interesting. what really gets me though is that when we look at that data we think of it as happening real time. What we're really seeing though happened 1,500 years ago because that's how far away the star is, 1,500 light years. If that is an alien civilization imagine what's going on right now.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 4 months ago #223203 by RyuJin
i've been following this for a while now myself...it's interesting to say the least....of course we're searching using expectations based on our technology, our science, our knowledge and understanding....how do we know that we're advanced enough to have sufficient technology to detect alien tech that may be more advanced than our own?....

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 4 months ago #223212 by
If finally exist life out earth and exist ability to communicate with them. We could have a big problem, world is not united and I think first step today, in a globalized world its unity at all. Unfortunately this situation its far today so that any communication could be a trouble.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi