The Secret

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #98998 by
Replied by on topic Re: The Secret

Jestor wrote: Please, feel free to conduct your own tests, under whatever regime you think will prove your theory...

It seems most of us understand, and believe, what is being discussed...

We will continue to believe as we see fit, until the evidence says otherwise...:)

Please keep us posted on your progress...:)

This is a bit like saying that you will continue to believe in God, angels and miracles until the evidence says otherwise. My point is there is no verifiable evidence for these beliefs; you are almost certainly being fooled by randomness and cognitive biases. The burden of proof is on people making unusual claims, not the skeptic. So if you have some evidence, please present it, or conduct whatever tests will prove your theory. Keep me posted on you progress.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #99000 by

Xon-Tay Lor wrote: I don't disagree with you, but what Zenchi and others are talking about seems to go beyond that, to the idea that if you think hard enough about something, it will magically manifest in your life in a way that isn't causally connected to your thinking about it. For example, how could Zenchi's thinking about his older sister cause her to appear at his door seven days later?

I know this is a very old idea, widely believed in places like India, but if you've ever been to India you'll know that it doesn't seem to be doing much to alleviate the poverty there. This kind of thinking is quite harmful if people start thinking that good things will materialize magically if they just wish hard enough for them, instead of working rationally to earn them.

It's not like that..

anybody who says: "My sister will appear 7 days from now". That will never happen.

Statements of POWER change the energy frequencies in your energy body (which is the version of you that is in tune with the energies of the universe around you). If it doesn't change anything within the SELF to "do things" differently, then you will never change anything in the world around you. It's foolish and quite frankly ignorant to assume that the universe revolves around positive thought alone. That's not what happens. Positive thought changes the internal self; it's MAGICK, internal alchemy. It gives you priorities, change your habits. Saying power statements 40-50 times a day is what it takes. Annoy yourself with positivity. You will change...

It's just as you say, effort and dynamic action on your part is required for it to be ANYTHING.

*sigh*

A phenomenal book on this subject, if anybody is interested, is Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.
It talks about success and how it depends on certain factors. It's very very old, and very very racist... BUT, it's an amazing read about how to come into the power of the self.

-Con.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 1 month ago #99005 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: The Secret

Xon-Tay Lor wrote:

Jestor wrote: Please, feel free to conduct your own tests, under whatever regime you think will prove your theory...

It seems most of us understand, and believe, what is being discussed...

We will continue to believe as we see fit, until the evidence says otherwise...:)

Please keep us posted on your progress...:)

This is a bit like saying that you will continue to believe in God, angels and miracles until the evidence says otherwise. My point is there is no verifiable evidence for these beliefs; you are almost certainly being fooled by randomness and cognitive biases. The burden of proof is on people making unusual claims, not the skeptic. So if you have some evidence, please present it, or conduct whatever tests will prove your theory. Keep me posted on you progress.

Wait, were we trying to convince you, or you convince us?

I Forget, ;)...

We are claiming we find it interesting, and quite possible...

You are stating that you are of the opposite opinion, and, basically we are wrong....

The way the world works is, I have my belief, that I discuss with others, and if someone wishes to change my mind, the burden of proof is on them...

You could be right, but its not my job to prove it....

Use pie charts, I like pie charts...;)

Thanks!

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #99014 by
I'm simply taking the null hypothesis position with regard to the hypothesis that thinking hard about something will make it appear in a non-causal way. Without verifiable evidence and some theory explaining how it could work, it is no more interesting or possible than my claim that I can teleport to the moon. The way the world works is not dependent on your beliefs and discussions, merely on verifiable facts. This is scientific reasoning 101, and it is responsible for the explosion of knowledge, technology and wealth since the Enlightenment (including this very web site).

Your snarky comments don't do anything to bolster your argument, by the way.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by .

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #99015 by Jestor
Oh, im not being snarky...:)

Im just think im funny...;)

Don't take offence, im always this,way...:)

I shoot for humor to make folks smile...;)

Im what the TNT Network calls "a character"...:)

As far as a theory as to how it works, yea, I think we are baffled too....

Just confident it does...:) So far, judging by our experiences....

I am really not sure how a laser pointer works, technically ...

Or a mircochip...

Or a myriad of other things I see and use and interact with every day...:)

I understand your words, but we didn't offer a explanation, we were just "trusting in the force"...

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #99016 by
Then perhaps you should do something about this state of ignorance in which you live. "Trusting the Force" won't make your computer work or your car start; such magical thinking is a fast route to failure. Are you promoting clear thinking and knowledge or fuzzy thinking and ignorance here?

More
11 years 1 month ago #99017 by Wescli Wardest
Replied by Wescli Wardest on topic Re: The Secret
Let's all play nice. :)

Monastic Order of Knights

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
11 years 1 month ago #99018 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Re: The Secret

Xon-Tay Lor wrote: Then perhaps you should do something about this state of ignorance in which you live. "Trusting the Force" won't make your computer work or your car start; such magical thinking is a fast route to failure. Are you promoting clear thinking and knowledge or fuzzy thinking and ignorance here?

There are some things I dont need to understand to know that they work. Theres nothing magical about it. Leaves space in my head for more important things, like where Im going in my car that starts without me knowing how or why.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #99019 by
You can live your life relying and believing in science, but science is not always right, and it does not even begin to explain life and the universe. If it did, well, then our world would be very different.

Not to say science is bad or wrong. In fact I think it's awesome, but using it as some sort of infallible argument is just as wrong as you think our viewpoints are...however there are some quantum physicists that think the secret is explainable in scientific terms.

As for India, well, if you've read the book then it's explained. But really, if you wanted proof then you'd have to try it for yourself. Either it works or it doesn't...and best of all the expieriment is free to do.

P.S. Maybe you can teleport to the moon...have you completely disproved that idea, because the craziest things can happen. Like, you know, flight. I bet at one time or another man thought flight was impossible.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
More
11 years 1 month ago #99021 by Jestor
Yes Wescli...;)

"fuzzy thinking and ignorance here"

Crap, I can't prove the force either....

EVERYONE OUT! GOTTA CLOSE THE DOORS!!

(Humor, think humor...;))

I teach thinking for oneself...

Seldom do I say anything is "x", because my interpretation of the world, and yours are not gonna match...

And, I can't prove my memories or feelings, so where does that leave me? ;)

No, "trusting the force" in the terms you mean, won't guarantee my car starts, but trusting my mechanic, who is the force, like we all are, is why my car starts...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi