What is emotion?

More
1 year 7 months ago #370004 by Izoshua
What is emotion? was created by Izoshua
Hey guys. I’ve run into the conversation about emotion(s) a lot lately and would like to hear any insight anyone has to share. To add some precision to the question, aside from the definition of the word, what role does emotion play in the mechanics of human life? And would controlling/mastering/harnessing one’s emotions be the key to self-mastery? Or is there another causal force behind emotion that one should focus on to find peace with it?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #370013 by River
Replied by River on topic What is emotion?

Izoshua wrote: Hey guys. I’ve run into the conversation about emotion(s) a lot lately and would like to hear any insight anyone has to share. To add some precision to the question, aside from the definition of the word, what role does emotion play in the mechanics of human life? And would controlling/mastering/harnessing one’s emotions be the key to self-mastery? Or is there another causal force behind emotion that one should focus on to find peace with it?

I see emotions as basically just another sense to know whats going on around us. We see things, we touch things, smell things, and emote about things. Emotions tell us when there is danger around, or injustice, or safety, or something pleasant, and all kinds of other information about the situations we find ourselves in. I don't think we need to learn to control our emotions somehow, just to recognize them for what they are. They are tools like any other. Except in the most extreme of circumstsnces - a large fire right in front of us, say - it would be silly to base our entire reaction to a situation based just on sight or touch. Similarly, it's unwise to base our entire reaction to a situation based on emotion. Gather the information from all sources, including emotion, and then act from an informed place of peace.
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by River.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo, Izoshua

More
1 year 7 months ago #370019 by Izoshua
Replied by Izoshua on topic What is emotion?
Thank you, I like how you put that! I have a similar view. I also see emotions as a primal system implemented in human physiology for the purpose of engaging the extremes of life and nature. True too I suppose, hormones Ty are largely responsible for our emotions which would make it a question of chemistry, though a chemistry responsive to ones state of mind. Either by fear or astonishment. As you implied as well, those senses can be trained.
The following user(s) said Thank You: River

More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #370026 by Carlos.Martinez3
Replied by Carlos.Martinez3 on topic What is emotion?
Peace

To be a holder and keeper of peace is to understand the need for it.

How to be human is a question I ask myself every day. Part of that seek is a balance of my own emotions. Humans have emotions and it is wise to try to understand them.

There is a episode in Star Trek where there is a race called the Medusa. Looking on it will drive you mad. A blind person was chosen to be the go between for the alien race. In the process the Medusa called "Kollos" takes some time with Spock in his mind.
When the alien Kollos is in Spock's mind, he, the alien, says something about humans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM6Z3N9m53E

Not my link not my site. It may expire and all terms and rules go with it.

Emotions are a human thing. It would be wise to understand them. Every chance I get, I try to learn something about human emotions.

In life, there can be a healthy balance to anything we do, it is and can be up to us.

Jedi teachings 1-4 can be good reminders of our choices and goals.

1. Jedi are in touch with the Force. We are open to spiritual awareness and keep our minds in tune with the beauty of the world. We are forever learning and open our minds to experiences and knowledge of ourselves and others.

2. Jedi maintain a clear mind; which can be achieved through meditation and contemplation. Our minds can become unduly troubled and concerned with the happenings of the world. We must work on overcoming our individual issues through training and diligence.

3. Jedi are aware of the future impacts of action and inaction and of the influence of the past, but live in and focus on the Now. We let ourselves flow like water through the events around us. We embrace the ever changing and fluid world, adapting and changing as it does.

4. Jedi are wary of attachments, both material and personal. The obsession over possessions and people creates the fear of losing those possessions and relationships which can cause ourselves to be trapped in a state of depression and loss.

With reminders and ideas like this you can "work" on just about anything you like.

Our emotions is a great place to reflect. As is our own values and morals ...

Happy seeking and may the Force be with you
Pastor Carlos

Pastor of Temple of the Jedi Order
pastor@templeofthejediorder.org
Build, not tear down.
Nosce te ipsum / Cerca trova
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Carlos.Martinez3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Izoshua

More
1 year 6 months ago #370035 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic What is emotion?
My working model has it as a level of awareness;

Tier 3:
. feeling; physical sensation, be it body/mind or unknown as it all seems to be processed by our physical body.
. thought; conscious thought, being the processing of feeling into awareness itself.

Tier 2:
. emotion; strong feeling incorporating subconscious decision making - being subconscious thought emerging into consciousness as feelings or ideas. Less responsible decision making occurs, but it needn't be bad decision making.

Tier 1;
. passion; strong emotion integrating aspects of self-sacrifice. Decisions are driven by emotions to the extent that they define our identity and purpose. Least responsible decision making, usually at least a high degree of self centeredness if not generally bad decisions due to bias from that self centeredness.

So for me, my Jedi path has the main focus on feelings, ie reach out with your feelings. Emotions being less reliable because they are (at least in part) products of my subconscious processing which is outside of sufficient understanding (beyond direct analysis but that is not practical for everyday living to psychoanalyze every thought or decision). Yet, I also tend to think anything good which can come from passion or emotion can also come from strong feeling so that sorts of tells me my Jedi path is about the relationship of and between my subconscious and conscious parts of my mind - the main point being, retaining conscious awareness of why I'm making decisions so they can be rational and refined... as that enables better learning and growth.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, River, Izoshua

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi