[Philosophy] Twilight movie quote....

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #221338 by Jestor

This is the opening line, of one of the Twilight movies on TV last weekend...

And, say what you will about Twilight, I like movies, lol...

I put this in my signature...

Along with the one from "Eat, Pray, Love' I saw the weekend before, lol...

Bella Swan: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age. And at a certain age, the child is grown and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies."

Is this when we reach adulthood?

When we realize death in eminent?

We all understand death will happen to everyone...

But, few consider the "that means it will happen to me", I think...

Always thinking how 'it happens to the other guy'...

Just thinking... :)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Jestor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, Avalon

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #221346 by
Isn't that from the bible?

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #221347 by RyuJin
not exactly...

the bible verse is more in the lines of :"when i was a child, i lived as a child, i played as a child, got disciplined as a child. when i became an adult i put away childish things"

found it

1 cor. 13:11
When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by RyuJin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jestor

More
8 years 3 months ago #221352 by Proteus
Think Peter Pan and the Lost Boys. ;)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #221360 by

Is this when we reach adulthood?

When we realize death in eminent?

We all understand death will happen to everyone...

But, few consider the "that means it will happen to me", I think...

Always thinking how 'it happens to the other guy'...

I think its just one experience that comes as all real experience does, whole and entire.

Something that changes your perception irrevocably, and permanently.

Due to my job, death, in many different ways, has impressed upon me a sense of....urgency.

I have seen death in old, young, middle age, and everywhere in between.

I have seen it happen quickly, and no so much, and fairly recently I had a fairly disagreeable experience with a patient I had grown attached to die of "natural causes". It took roughly a week, and I can honestly say it was one of the worst ways to go i have seen.

As such, I know that you are assured nothing, and so, I am not given to procrastination,excuse making, suffering fools, or making waste of my time.

A child tends to think themselves invincible, and that they have all the time in the world. Its even present in how they regard age.

I am 4 and 1/2, or almost 10, etc.

As one gets older, we are not so willing to add to age, haha.

For some of us, with extremely active lifestyles, we can feel the difference.

I am 35, and in BJJ, when sparring 20 somethings, there is a definite difference in sheer athleticism, recovery times, injuries etc.

When I was younger, I said the same things they say to me now, and with the same ignorance.

I see them ignoring injury, taking huge risks with there body, and being unwilling to tap, etc.

I dont know, one of my first mentors told me when he was 65, that you do not become a man until 50, as you simply havent lived and experienced enough.

I may not be a man, but I am no longer a child by any means.

Death, was but one experience that removed me farther from it.

Of course, I still indulge in childish things. I mean, I am at a Star Wars forum. Even that though, is not looked through the eyes of a child. Simply look at our conversations. It is viewed through the eyes of adults. When I was a child, I did not contemplate the Jedis views on the death penalty for instance. I was too caught up in the whole of the story.

I love comics, cartoons, martial arts(as I practice it less, and less for self defense, after almost 2 decades, that is not even a blip on the radar for why I continue)

Still, I see it through the eye of an adult.

Life, while not making me completely cynical, has left me with scars.

I have a child of my own, and I am responsible for him, and my wife.

That was another huge change.

I support others, rather than being the one supported.

I can sum it up in two quotes I have heard.

"Ignorance is bliss." Children, are by and large, ignorant, and naive. Which is beautiful in its way.

Also

"That which increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow. " ( That is a bible quote)

As we gain experiences, that of deceit, death, betrayal, war, love( romantic love)loss, success, failure, etc, we are also imbued with a sense of sorrow. One given by the experience of impermanence. Which gives context that a child simply does not have, and in its way, gives it own sense of beauty, of love of life that a child simply has not lived long enough to perceive. A bittersweet symphony, that we can see the end of all to clearly as we get older.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yb-OYmHVchQ

I for one, am more and more filled with a sense of...appreciation, for being lucky enough to experience life at all.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
8 years 3 months ago #221375 by RyuJin

Khaos wrote:

i did this several times as a child...and many more times over the many years since then....i can't remember a time period where i haven't had to....that absence truly is unsettling...as a child it sparked a change in me...from then on i was always on a whole different level from my peers...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #221388 by Alexandre Orion

Bella Swan: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age. And at a certain age, the child is grown and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies."

There are a few different perspectives from which this can be approached : one is like you said, Jestor, the age at which a child realises s/he is a mortal being whose life will one day end (around seven years or so ...)- as alluded to also by the carefree behaviours of many "youth" (20's-ish) who are well beyond that innocent age. Before this age, the deaths of people are usually felt merely as privation - they don't get to interact with that person (the one who has died) any more. The 20-somethings that Khaos was talking about, they are still a little stuck in that age by several factors - they aren't usually parents themselves yet, there are few, and no major, rites of passage in our industrialised cultures, post-modern consumerism (which creates a societal value out of remaining young forever and making "death" an indecent subject-matter) and also that we are living much longer life-spans than we were just a very short century ago, many of the things which used to do us in having been brought under some measure of control.

As it were, with the taboos set on real death, many of us older people are not altogether aware of it either, no matter how many friends, relatives or others close to us we have bid adieu to. Intellectually, we can know that it is imminent, that it will indeed put an end to us one day, but nowadays it is so remote from our everyday lives that the mere idea of it puts us running to the refrigerator, the telly, the pub, the shopping mall, the bedroom with some willing partner - or just a hand - or to church (of which most don't do the job they are supposed to any more - that of letting us be okay with it). Whereas none of us likes the idea of the dying part, which could involve various degrees of pain first, that really isn't the part that gets us freaked. It is in the non-being ; the end of all the experience, memory, feelings, sensations and identity that the phenomenal "persons" we are cling to. It is the end of possibility. Yet, it is also totality ... Children do not yet have this charge of identity - the ego - which keeps them stuck to living. To Life itself, however, that is yet another matter. It is a little easier explaining this in French, because I can draw upon a distinction between "l'être humain" and "un étant humain" ~ in English it is all just "human being", essentially the expansive continuity of the experience of being a human individual which death brings to its totality -- death being the ultimate act of a complete Life.

But there is another important concern, one that I touched on above briefly, which is "they usually aren't parents yet". This is the most naturally occurring "rite of passage" that we have - it is innate to our biology. Regardless of ethical considerations - for now, let's just stick to biological/psychological ones - it is a very short time between when a child becomes aware of her/his own mortality and when s/he is physically capable of having a child. It is nature itself that brings a young girl to womanhood with her first menstrual cycle. Boys are a little different, for when they come of reproductive age, they have to be ushered into manhood by acts (symbolic though they may be, issued from pre-sapiens dominance struggles) by other "men" -- the "father" confrontation, although particular relationships vary. As it were, for both the girls and the boys, when they become women and men, childhood is at this time over ... and it is not at a particular age, but when the natural instincts for creating new Life emerge. Every new life is destined toward death. Thus, in a kingdom of children - those not moved (by nature) to the creation of new Life - no one ever dies for no one is ever born.

Innocence then, is quite sterile ...

Does that help ? :cheer:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #221415 by Yugen
I don't belive childhood ends by a child seeing or becoming aware of death no..
Not necessarly at least, in my experience some children has to grow up fast in order to take care of their sibblings when the parents are not present or when the parents are in some way incapable of taking care of them, thereby the child is forced to become an adult.

I have not personally experienced this but i know of several people around me who has been in this situation, and their childhood has ended quickly thanks to that.
One of my closer friends did basically everything at home, make food, clean and take care of his sibblings while his mom was almost never home, and his father was not with his mother any more, and according to him that made him the adult man in the house
And all this makes them enter adulthood or atleast take the role of parent.

TOTJO Novice

Yugen (幽玄): is said to mean “a profound, mysterious sense of the beauty of the universe… and the sad beauty of human suffering”

IP Journal
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Yugen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PatrickB

More
8 years 3 months ago #221419 by PatrickB
I think she meant an adult bring her childhood into her life . But she bring her behavior has a complete child as an adult . It's very dangerous what she say's in that quote . It is like she what to project her full childhood to do life at her fullest , kind a of kingdom . It is like she can do anything she want as an adult we all known that child can and will take on almost anything into her mouth :ohmy: . But about an adult , normally people learn to do thing right for a good healthy balance but what if .

For my part I think the context of Twilight is the extent of the carnivore . Difficult for the normal men to think about these scenarios , is death is eminent I do not known the real truth lies in each of us . But during these past few year I became aware there is many way to live very long. But out of these studies here at the temple .

Still is I read the system of living in to the bible .

The one that posses with a devices is responsible for others . Being at large is brought too my attention . An armor is the key to unarm devices .

• Jestor
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
8 years 3 months ago #221431 by Jestor

Khaos wrote: As one gets older, we are not so willing to add to age, haha.

I am 45... For years I have been saying I am 45... I will be 45, until I am 48, then I will say 50...

I round, lol... My wife, while I was 43, would say, "you arent 45", Id say, "Im closer to 45, than I am 40"...

Im goofy that way...:)

For some of us, with extremely active lifestyles, we can feel the difference.

I am 35, and in BJJ, when sparring 20 somethings, there is a definite difference in sheer athleticism, recovery times, injuries etc.

When I was younger, I said the same things they say to me now, and with the same ignorance.

I see them ignoring injury, taking huge risks with there body, and being unwilling to tap, etc.

I dont know, one of my first mentors told me when he was 65, that you do not become a man until 50, as you simply havent lived and experienced enough.

I think this is true of many ages...

The 15 year old thinks the toddler is a baby..
20 thinks the 15 is a child...
30 thinks the 20 is a kid....
Same for every group, or generation...

But, it is amusing, that's for sure...

And, an argument I make on occasion, and get accused of "ageism"... lol....

I for one, am more and more filled with a sense of...appreciation, for being lucky enough to experience life at all.

Me too....

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter
The following user(s) said Thank You: OB1Shinobi

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi