Astrology and Horroscopes

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #161408 by
Astrology and Horroscopes was created by
(Hoping this thread is placed in the right board. lol)

I was wondering what everyone's views of this topic was. I know as a Christian, I was always taught to stay clear of both, that it is the work of the devil. However, I have seen some cases of where things are accurately predicted using the stars, and I must admit looking at the character traits of the zodiac, are pretty accurate. I am also a man of fact, science, and history, so this topic is a warring debate within myself.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #161414 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Re:Astrology and Horroscopes
I was never taught that they were evil in the church I grew up in. Hm. I find them amusing. The Daily horoscopes in the paper are written by beginning journalists but I do enjoy talking and learning about the signs and personality meanings of the zodiacs and blood types.

I'm a Taurus. I'm stubborn. I'm a rat, I'm creative.

They don't fit everyone, I personally find them more fun than a use of reference but my mother puts great stock in them. Was the first thing she looked up when I told her I was pregnant lol.

What's scary to me is an article came out a few months ago that stated a scary amount of Americans believe astrology is a real science.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Kit.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #161418 by
Replied by on topic Re:Astrology and Horroscopes

Kamizu wrote: What's scary to me is an article came out a few months ago that stated a scary amount of Americans believe astrology is a real science.

Astrology is inteesting and thought provoking. I wouldn't call it scary but "I" wouldn't call it science either. If it helps people have a comfort level understanding themselves and the world why not?

I'm a Libra obviously. :) :laugh:

RF were you educated by penguins?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #161420 by
Replied by on topic Re:Astrology and Horroscopes

Kamizu wrote: I was never taught that they were evil in the church I grew up in. Hm. I find them amusing. The Daily horoscopes in the paper are written by beginning journalists but I do enjoy talking and learning about the signs and personality meanings of the zodiacs and blood types.

I'm a Taurus. I'm stubborn. I'm a rat, I'm creative.

They don't fit everyone, I personally find them more fun than a use of reference but my mother puts great stock in them. Was the first thing she looked up when I told her I was pregnant lol.

What's scary to me is an article came out a few months ago that stated a scary amount of Americans believe astrology is a real science.

I think I may know the article you are talking about. That is what got my interest in it, to learn more about it.

Rickie, not sure what you mean with the penguin comment. However, I never said I agreed with those particular views. If I did, why would I be post about this subject or doing research at all? Haha. :P

More
9 years 6 months ago #161422 by Kit

Rickie The Grey wrote:

Kamizu wrote: What's scary to me is an article came out a few months ago that stated a scary amount of Americans believe astrology is a real science.

Astrology is inteesting and thought provoking. I wouldn't call it scary but "I" wouldn't call it science either.

I don't think it's scary in itself haha. I think what's scary is how many people believe it is a science rather than a ... belief system? Sorry I haven't been sleeping well and I've lost a lot of my vocabulary lol.

Let me see if I can find that article. I'm sure they have better words lol

More
9 years 6 months ago #161425 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Re:Astrology and Horroscopes
This isn't the one I read but it had the stats in it.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2014/02/11/Majority-of-young-adults-think-astrology-is-a-science/5201392135954/

More
9 years 6 months ago #161426 by Amaya
Replied by Amaya on topic Astrology and Horroscopes
The religion I was in thought astrology and horoscopes were the work of demons.. It's a pretty common theme.
I tend to think that the predictions in newspapers are vague enougth for anyone to see something for themselves in it.
But I think it's interesting to look into.

Everything is belief
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #161428 by
Replied by on topic Astrology and Horroscopes

Rickie, not sure what you mean with the penguin comment

Being taught by Nuns in their traditional black and white robes. :)

That expression was quite common when I was in Catholic School.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #161429 by

Rickie The Grey wrote:

Rickie, not sure what you mean with the penguin comment

Being taught by Nuns in their traditional black and white robes. :)

That expression was quite common when I was in Catholic School.

Ah, I was never in Catholic School, however I was raised Catholic. Never heard of that expression before. Lol

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #161434 by
I am someone who tends to stick with the pervading scientific opinion on matters. The scientific opinion on Astrology and Horoscopes are that they are absolutely unscientific nonsense.

They work by being vague enough that circumstances will always meet them when you interpret the situation loosely.

Consider that if astrology and horoscopes really did work surely someone would have proven that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Afterall these practices have been around for an incredibly long time, and they are performed by many many people. Surely one of those people would have proven that they work in a scientifically controlled environment. If they have not been proven to make accurate and reliable predictions then the only conclusion one can draw is that they do not produce accurate or reliable predictions.

They leave enough ambiguity in their predictions to seem as though they work most of the time while relying on people's confirmation bias to seem as though they are more accurate than they really are.

"Confirmation bias" is the tendency for people to remember only the things that meet their expectations while forgetting or underestimating the amount of times something does not meet their expectations.

Don't forget also that every prediction that's ambiguous enough can be shown to be right metaphorically or when interpreted to a great enough extent.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi