Warrior-Priests

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #159686 by
Replied by on topic Warrior-Priests

Reacher wrote: And now to go full-on nerd:

I'm reminded of a quote from the Lord of the Rings, when Denethor is questioning Gandalf's motivations in mixing into Gondor's affairs. Gandalf reminds him that while Denethor is the Steward of Gondor, Gandalf is a steward of something higher.

"The rule of no realm is mine, but all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care. And for my part, I shall not wholly fail in my task if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again in days to come. For I too am a steward. Did you not know?" - Gandalf/The Return of the King/J.R.R. Tolkien

Gandalf is tasked with acting as agent for all things good...a representative for the Valar. Not as merely a defender of the realm, as Denethor is. Or as a spiritual adviser to those who DO act...but as an active agent of principle and duty. He will do whatever he can to preserve and protect all 'that can still grow fair' . The melding of acting for the tangible and intangible. A warrior. Tolkien got it.

Well said, brother, on both posts. There is nothing I could remove or add to it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #159727 by

Akkarin wrote:
I do not agree at all with this quote.

I think you may be taking the quote too literally. I realize I didn't clarify my reasons for posting it, but I think it served its purpose. Plenty of discussion resulted :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 6 months ago #159740 by
I am quite happy that you post this in the Philosoph thread! :side:

If it is about the story of Grandalf..

Grandalf was made on the ideas of ''Der Berggeist''

Humphrey Carpenter told in his biography that Tolkien owned a postcard entitled ''Der Berggeist'' On the paper cover in which he kept it, he wrote ''the origin of Grandalf.'' - Wikkipedia

If Grandalf comes from a Postcard.. with a lovely goat.. .. .. How can he be a warrior, the fact that he had a sword was for pure physical protection due to the fact that he would not use magic for every little problem I guess..

Grandalf is a immortal, but not a warrior, the background of Gandalf tells the story ;)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi