Bene Gesserit Training Manual

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 2 weeks ago - 10 years 2 weeks ago #143317 by
Replied by on topic Bene Gesserit Training Manual
Thanks, Ve-Lo-Zi. I'm a Dune fan, so I skimmed through it this evening. Creative, sometimes interesting, but not always in line with the fiction. Though, as you said, it looks like there are non-fiction elements that are intended as guidelines.

Unfortunately, there seem to be a number of factual errors and misrepresentations of political, spiritual, and philosophical concepts. I reached page 187 and had to stop reading. The description of Vodou/voodoo was the most inaccurate summary I've ever read (among other significant issues in the text, it's not a polytheistic religion).

Still, I'd be the last person to put anyone down for trying to create a workable spiritual or practical guide from a fictional source - and even erroneous information can be effectively applied and utilized within a personal framework and potentially lead to something positive. I don't necessarily believe in all that I practice or every idea that I adhere to. In my experience, sometimes a belief works well as a means to an end and sometimes particular beliefs simply bring me joy or comfort (whether they are true or not).

Ultimately, I can't see how much in this training manual would improve or enhance someone's life, but it doesn't seem to have been written with that sole purpose in mind.
Last edit: 10 years 2 weeks ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi