Do you argue as a Rapist, Seducer, or Lover?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130710 by
As I enjoy and participate in conversations here, I'm reminded of a great article I read about how we argue. It separates our styles of debate into three behaviors. Are you a rapist who simply must be right at all costs? Are you a seducer who will deceive or use trickery to win the fight? Or a lover who argues simply to learn from the argument itself? Here's the link to the pdf if you're interested...

Wayne Brockriede's "Arguers As Lovers"

I'll just say that I could probably be a little more lover and a lot less seducer :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130714 by
That link does not appear to be working for me :(.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130718 by
It will not work for me either, sadly. I perceive myself arguing like the lover if I may self diagnose

More
10 years 3 months ago #130727 by Wescli Wardest
I am not certain this is the same pdf you were trying to link to, but it is a good one. ;)
http://www2.comm.niu.edu/faculty/kwhedbee/dissoilogoi.pdf

Monastic Order of Knights

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130797 by
I just like the discussions. To say arguing to me means a concern for an outcome.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130800 by
reminds of the poker player character . . . but he had 4 stances . . lol

Holder, Folder, Runner, Hider . . .

linkless Hider . . . or one of the Talking Heads . . lol . . song without a dance . . a cause without a purpose? . . lol
i dunno

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130801 by
Apologies for the inactive link. I've attached the actual PDF here. Hopefully it works this time...

Attachment h3d3942c.pdf not found

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130803 by
Essentially the article asserts that an arguer as a rapist will impose their will and opinion on others by force and refuse to accept any counter argument. A seducer will lie, flatter, or trick someone into agreeing with their point of view. A lover will discuss a topic openly and integrate the argument of the other into their own if it makes sense. The object is to learn.

I imagine we all use a little bit of each depending on who we are arguing with and what our emotional state is at the time.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi