Q

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #129464 by
Q was created by
I was watching the last episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, and I was reminded of something that I remembered hearing, but wasn't sure where it had come from. The quote is now in my signature, but here it is anyway:

For that one fraction of a second, you were open to options you'd never considered. That's the exploration that awaits you... not mapping stars and studying nebulae... but charting the unknowable possibilities of existence.

—Q

I can't help but agree with this philosophy, but I'm curious what you guys think of it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #129497 by
Replied by on topic Q
sometimes a vision
sometimes a new thought
what if?
perhaps?
maybe?
pure creative potential

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130012 by
Replied by on topic Q
I like it. Makes me wish I could open my mind more often and see what there is to see.

Was Q the trouble maker?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130055 by
Replied by on topic Q
Q as portrayed by John de Lancie. I guess you could say he was a type of demi God and a troublemaker.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130108 by
Replied by on topic Q
Q was a bad-ass, his philosophy was more the cherry on top, I didn't really tune in for that I really tuned in to see him pick on bald men. lol.

reminds me of a video I saw a few months ago through TED, I think... If I'll find it, I'll post it.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130177 by
Replied by on topic Q
hmmmmm . . .lots of thought of about Q . . but what about the philosophy?

:dry:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130330 by
Replied by on topic Q

Mareeka wrote: hmmmmm . . .lots of thought of about Q . . but what about the philosophy?

:dry:

Well, Q is a philosophy in himself, so he deserves some discussion. To me he's kind of enigmatic. He generally causes trouble, but the results of his actions always end up being positive.

Anyway, the quote makes me wonder about many things. Star Trek is based on the current mentality that we as human beings need to look out and explore, land on the moon, go to Mars, chart unknown parts of the galaxy. Instead we could be looking within, exploring the power of the mind, learning to understand the spirit, expanding the body's potential. I know that a lot of people are doing that, but it's not the general mentality.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago - 10 years 3 months ago #130332 by
Replied by on topic Q
Thanks Streen . . .

I understood the philosphy itself without knowing who Q as a character is . . .

As we step step step in linear time . . more and more individuals are coming to it. . . .and countless others are asking for the understanding and the ways and means to do so . .I am speaking to the inner journey . .

I ask lots of people that question if they know that experience . . about the fraction of a second . . they all say yes. . .
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130335 by
Replied by on topic Q
Star Trek: The Next Generation has a lot of deep moral lessons when you watch it. It talks all about the definition of life, friendship and respecting other living things and other cultures.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #130340 by
Replied by on topic Q
This sounds a bit like what Don Juan talks about in Carlos Castaneda's books. He calls it "stopping the world." The world in this case is our constant inward murmur, our brain talking to itself about everything it's processing. The older we get and the more we know, the more routine this murmur becomes, locking us into a set path of habits and preconceptions. "Stopping" that world is like reaching the state of meditation when one has forgotten everything, including one's self, except it can be brought about by many things. People have stopped their world by being hit or being in an accident, athletes stop thinking and let their bodies do what they know, and even psychoactive substances hit our brains with a totally new set of stimuli, so the murmur ceases. Rinzai (inspirer of the zen school of the same name) would physically strike any of his students who looked to him for enlightenment, hoping that would stop their world long enough for them to see that enlightenment cannot come from outside. Once your world has been stopped, all possibilities are open to you. It doesn't last long, the murmur is rather tenacious, but for just a few seconds, all is quiet and all is let in. Q was a master of stopping worlds. He would periodically come into the world of the Enterprise and turn it on its head, just so people have to change their thinking.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi