Symbols

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127087 by
Symbols was created by
When I was learning reiki, symbols were a big part of what I learned. Their purpose is to help learn to connect with the energies involved in reiki. The person teaching me, though, said that some people (including him) don't use the symbols after a while. Once you become familiar with the energy and forming the specific intents, you don't need them anymore. They are a tool and nothing more.

It's the same with all symbols really. They help us connect to whatever it is we're trying to learn. They serve as a reminder. But like all tools after a while, they just become obsolete.

And yet... so many people cling to them like a lifeline they can't seem to let go of. I've had people actually tell me you can't use reiki without the symbols. Well, yes you can... I do it all the time!

I've never understood the need to place so much importance on symbols and rely on them so much. From my perspective, reliance on them once they've outlived their usefulness only serves to stunt ones spiritual growth.

To be honest... I have no idea where I'm going with this... just felt compelled to say it. :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127090 by
Replied by on topic Symbols
Can you give me a basic understanding of Reiki, I've never heard of it?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127093 by
Not to be lazy, but typing on my phone is too difficult on this site for some reason. So I found this instead: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reiki

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127096 by
There is also this. The site of my teacher's teachers: http://www.threshold.ca/reiki/home.html

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127107 by
I agree with you, Naya. I think of words as symbols, and so they too can be a hindrance if rely on them too much.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127112 by
Words and symbols distract use from what is at any given time, they are in the same boat as history and tradition and people sometimes mistakenly pay these things too much importance...

Ever meant to say something but when it's said it comes out wrong and people get offended? That is them paying too much importance to what you say rather than what you mean, similarly with symbols when the object becomes more important than its meaning...

More
10 years 4 months ago #127120 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Symbols
I don't know. I love symbols. But I think it's from the artistic side of me. They alow me to express myself in ways that I couldn't otherwise to people that wouldn't understand me without it.

Personaly, I use symbols because I enjoy them. I understand they are NOT the energy, but the representation of that energy.

For others, the symbols help me share at a place that others understand. A common ground I guess.

But, I'm a highly visual person to begin with :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago #127127 by
Words are the sounds we use to express and represent meanings. Thus, one cannot get wet in the word 'water'. That, to me, is how I think words are symbols. Ever say a word over and over just for that word to lose its meaning because you suddenly forgot it? I did that a few times as a child and I spent minutes trying to figure it out again. lol

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #127134 by

Words are the sounds we use to express and represent meanings. Thus, one cannot get wet in the word 'water'.

True...but water doesnt mean wet anyway... Though yes, you do get wet in water, but not exclusively water.

You cant get wet in the word wet, would be a better example.

Still, as a symbol, saying your wet really wouldnt lead to a misunderstanding, unless you were lying and dry.

Words, are pretty accurate in the meaning they contain, if your saying what you mean, and honestly want to communicate that meaning past only your own view of it.

More often than not, it seems more and more, people just ascribe any meaning they feel like to a word, and then blame the words, or the other individuals for a lack of understanding, either in the symbolism of the word, or peoples ability to understand it, and yet, if your not using to symbol to symbolize the meaning it contains, really, your just not attempting to communicate clearly with others.

Hence, if you say you are wet, I wouldnt really misunderstand unless you werent wet.

Symbols, any form of communication, will always unlock more than it binds, if ones goal is truly to communicate.

"People don't hear each other. We talk to each other, but very seldom do we ever communicate." — Charles Manson,

Yes, a word will never translate to the experience, but thats not what symbols are really used for.

While yes Reiki as a practice, for those advanced, may not need the symbols, it is a good way to communicate and transfer the practice to beginners, as with any teaching, your going to need some form of communication to convey the practice, and the reasoning behind it.

In regards to tools outliving there usefulness, well, I dont do away with my screwdrivers just because im not using them right this second.

Just as its good not to forget what you may wish to teach, and of course, you could argue that you will teach it differently, but more than likely it will rely on some form of communication, metaphor, and parables,symbols,etc, so why not use the ones you were given?

Like learning martial arts, my sensei does not forget the fundamentals of teaching and transmission just because he himself doesnt necessarily need it anymore.

Hence the martial arts spread, through ones ability to communicate through the symbolism used respective to it.

A kimura lock, is not the same as being in the armlock, or applying it, but to teach it, I will probably use the word in demonstration, as well as the physical movements( also a form of communication)

Just imagine if people were so blase with sign language, haha.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 4 months ago - 10 years 4 months ago #127135 by
Of course, if one isnt planning on becoming a teacher, and doesnt plan to really go beyond themselves with there understanding, I suppose its irrelevant.

However, when asked what a basic Reiki understanding was, did you not give a wikipedia link, which more than likely possesses the symbolism, words,etc you claim you are beyond?

But are you not then reliant on it for communication, going back to it, etc?

As a tool, its not as obsolete as you think. ;)

You can use Reiki without symbols perhaps...but can you communicate it?

If you cant communicate it, how long will it remain in use/useful?

Just some food for thought.
Last edit: 10 years 4 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi