The Ring

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124642 by
The Ring was created by
Who of you would be interested in a discussion on the applicability of the symbolism in Tolkien's works?

Anybody?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #124645 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic The Ring
It's about addiction isnt it, or perhaps the struggle of a hypothetical human fate to eventually move offworld to a Niven ring type structure!?

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

More
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #124655 by Alexandre Orion
Replied by Alexandre Orion on topic The Ring
Not completely, Adder -- more the other way around. One can interpret the obsession brought on by possession of the ring and the power it conveyed as addiction, yet that is only one lens through which to look at addiction - generally before the physical aspects set in.

The Lord of the Rings has some very clever character and plot development which goes through the whole heroic cycle with all of the archetypes plainly interacting. The Hero, evidently, but the Call to Adventure to which the Hero is initially reluctant, the Mentor (most obviously Gandalf, but this rĂ´le does shift around), the Threshold Guardians and the Shadow -- and so forth.

This discussion could serve as a valuable review of the Jungian/Campbellian archetypes of the heroic cycle ; I would suggest broadening it out to take in anything found in popular culture, from contemporary film to music videos. How can the elements of the hero's adventure be witnessed in the most ordinary of modern media ?

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Alexandre Orion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kit

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124657 by
Replied by on topic The Ring
Connor,

The topic is already interesting. I think I may have the trilogy; although, I only read 20 to 30 pages.

I am interested in hearing what you are experiencing.

:)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124659 by
There is so much to LOTR that one can literally spend their career studying it.

There are creatures such as Tom Bombadil who was First for example.

There is also the massive patriarchy that exists pretty much everywhere too...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124667 by
What I remember hearing is that Tolkien used a lot of Christian symbolism. For example, the fight between Gandalf and the Balrog. Tolkien's imagery is sort of typical to the common perception of what God and the Devil look like. Then when Gandalf is resurrected, it seems to be a parallel with Jesus.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124675 by
I'm a fan. Fascinating, complex, thought provoking writing and to think it was done after hours in his spare time on a mechanical typewritter. Such a great mind he had. Tremendous commitment to his craft for so little reward. The man was far ahead of his time. I find him quite inspiring. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124681 by
I just hit a blog on Tolkien that says he wanted to share lessons from Christianity but that he didn't want to be preachy like C.S. Lewis who also wanted to share lessons from Christianity.

Two fans, that I know, who love the trilogy happen to be atheist. They were drawn to Tolkien's writing style.

I sense, but could be wrong, that Tolkien may have a lot in common with Joseph Campbell in terms of the desire to share about human themes which just so happens to be prevalent in all major religions, theologies and philosophies.

Again, I really don't know about this particular work or Tolkien, but I do know a lot of creative writers. Once their writing matures and they mature as writers, if anyone gets anything out of their works, they are happy. In the end, they sure as heck had fun honoring their own creativity. (Money matters aside, of course). :P

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124702 by
Tolkien wrote about the themes of his book in letters to friends, family and fans.

In a nutshell they are antitheses, death and immortality, loss and farewell, power and temptation, addiction, technophobia, courage fate and free will, providence and Christ figures.

All great topics of conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #124726 by
Thanks for the background Jayden. :cheer:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi