Marcus Aurelius

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #122259 by
Replied by on topic Marcus Aurelius
I thought the book sounded interesting so I looked it up at the kindle store and guess what... They have a free version of the book.

I thought to myself, there is a price everyone can agree with. Enjoy!

Jayden
/|\

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #122610 by

Jestor wrote: LibriVox has it on audio...;)

The version they have has a quote "we are the minds of god, with the bodies of animals"... I love that...:)

Jacen, while its true we have a slight affect on the destiny of our kind as individuals, its important to remember that it would continue whether we did or not...

That's life, and whether its a beautiful utopia in the future we design, or a wasteland from our destruction, and no human survives...

Cockroaches will, and thus so does life....

We have to remember our place...

Even dust has its effect on creation...:)

I think I get what you're saying, but I'm not necessarily talking about this life. Pardon me for being a little speculative, but I believe in the significance of our lives, not just in this physical realm, but in everything beyond it. I know beliefs vary when it comes to the "afterlife" or even whatever lies beyond that, but... well it's hard to explain... I trust my feelings in the idea that our existence does not equal the existence of dust. Forgive me for quoting Yoda, but "luminous beings are we". :)

• Brenna
  • User
  • User
    Registered
  • I hear your voice on the wind, and I hear you call out my name
More
10 years 5 months ago #122614 by Brenna
Replied by Brenna on topic Marcus Aurelius

Akkarin wrote: Marcus Aurelius is a prime example of how absolute power does not corrupt absolutely :)

An exception that proves the rule.

Walking, stumbling on these shadowfeet

Part of the seduction of most religions is the idea that if you just say the right things and believe really hard, your salvation will be at hand.

With Jediism. No one is coming to save you. You have to get off your ass and do it yourself - Me

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #122617 by

Jayden wrote: I thought the book sounded interesting so I looked it up at the kindle store and guess what... They have a free version of the book.

I thought to myself, there is a price everyone can agree with. Enjoy!

Jayden
/|\

I'll just have to wander over there and pick one up for myself.

Thanks for the heads-up. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #122619 by

Brenna wrote:

Akkarin wrote: Marcus Aurelius is a prime example of how absolute power does not corrupt absolutely :)

An exception that proves the rule.

OR

ninja edit: its probably a bit of both, and varies from person to person, nation to nation, time to time anyway.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago #122636 by
Wow, I love that quotation, Des!

I should read this Dune book...

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 5 months ago #122637 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Marcus Aurelius
the movie's an epic classic....though from what I've heard the scifi remake was more loyal to the book...

I must not fear, for fear is the mind killer-paul atreides

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 5 months ago - 10 years 5 months ago #122668 by

Connor Lidell wrote: I should read this Dune book...

It's definitely worth adding to your reading list. :) The first three books in the series are pretty accessible. The following three are a bit tougher to get into. I have yet to read the more recent books that Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson co-wrote.

There's a tiny book of selected quotes from the series ( The Notebooks of Frank Herbert's Dune ) that I like quite a bit, but I probably wouldn't recommend it until you're familiar with the characters. The Dune Encyclopedia is also really amazing (but unreasonably priced at this point).

RyuJin wrote: the movie's an epic classic....though from what I've heard the scifi remake was more loyal to the book...

I like all of the Dune movies. David Lynch's Dune does stray from the book, but is still a lot of fun. If you watch Frank Herbert's Dune, be sure to track down the Director's Cut. And its sequel, Children of Dune, is actually my favorite of the three movies.

There's been a remake of the movie in production hell for years. It would be interesting to see someone else's interpretation of Herbert's universe.
Last edit: 10 years 5 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi