Is Altruism Intrinsic Truth or Conspiracy?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121981 by
As the question states. :)

What do you think about Altruism? Is it something we're all born with? Is it a natural state? Or, is it a formula crafted by societies to convince people to do "good" without expecting a return?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago - 10 years 6 months ago #121982 by Alexandre Orion
I don't know, Connor ...

'Empathy' is natural among all of the great apes - of which the human one is. There is also some convincing scientific evidence that it is much stronger than any of our 'convictions'. You might want to check out some of the work of Dr Dan Batson, University of Kansas.

'Altruism' ... well -- it's an -ism.

:unsure:

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
Last edit: 10 years 6 months ago by Alexandre Orion.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121989 by

'Empathy' is natural among all of the great apes - of which the human one is. There is also some convincing scientific evidence that it is much stronger than any of our 'convictions'. You might want to check out some of the work of Dr Dan Batson, University of Kansas.

Serial killers are empathic(Just listen to some of there confessions, and recollections of there crimes), but there empathy doesnt necessarily mean that empathy is altruistic, or will lead to such.

As it is, its not just stronger than convictions, but established laws and taboos as well.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121990 by
That said, I dont believe in altruism, not do I think it is important or needed to measure a good deed by.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 6 months ago #121992 by RyuJin
Altruism... i think its more of an ideal...and like any ideal only as valid or real as one is willing to make it...

I do many good deeds with no thought or desire for anything in return...I also do some not so good things with no thought or desire for anything in return...in short I do what I feel is needed at the time regardless of remuneration...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121993 by
How are empathy and Altruism related? I'd see more of a correlation between selflessness and Altruism. To me, empathy suggests an understanding between all beings. And, like Khaos said, is evident even in serial killers. Altruism, or selflessness, is the act of having concern for others (and not only necessarily above the self).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 6 months ago #121995 by
As someone who studies evolution and animal behavior I can say with certainty that there is a ton of evidence for altruism not only being natural ,but of great evolutionary advantage. One of the things we should be learning is the advantages of interdependence over independence, that is by working together towards a common goal we can accomplish far more than any one individual ever could and the fact that we evolved as a social species instead of a bunch of loners shows this.

Here is an excellent lecture on the topic.

http://youtu.be/Y0Oa4Lp5fLE

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi