Comforting words

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #88485 by
Comforting words was created by
Recently in my home town, a local girl who I knew personally had died in a car accident. A tragedy that happens daily to people, but it doesn't stop the feeling of disbelief that this could happen that close to home and to a good friend. I know it was probably not my place, however I felt compelled to say something to those around me that might help them through this horrible time. And to my surprise I was met with clearing eyes and open ears. Not in my wildest dreams had I ever thought that my words could make a bad time a bit better. What I did made others feel better which made me feel better.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #88533 by
Replied by on topic Re: Comforting words
You did good and it came back to you. The words you said may not have been as important as how you said them and your feeling behind them. Have confidence in your words if your heart is true. You have kindness in you.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #88536 by
It is in giving that we receive Ferreire...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #88540 by
Accidents such as these can be very humbling; we realise our own mortality

Sometimes all someone needs is just for somebody else to be there. They were that someone you were the 'body' they needed :)

It makes you realise how big a difference small things can make. Grand gestures can pale in comparison to seemingly 'small' gifts of kindness

Good for you :)

I do hope that you aren't too torn up about this accident. We are all here for you, and indeed for the family, if you want us to be

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #88547 by
As Akkarin says,

Akkarin wrote: Accidents such as these can be very humbling; we realise our own mortality

Sometimes the greatest comfort you can offer is simply to be humbly reminded of your own mortality with someone going thru the same crisis.

I have also discovered that, often, people will hear what they need/want to hear regardless of what you actually say. The important thing when comforting someone is simply to look and sound compassionate...their minds, often enough, will do the rest ;)

Oh, and this little tidbit from the Jedi Creed seems fitting in this context:

"I shall never seek so much to be consoled as to console"

Good job, ferreire580, well done. :)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 4 months ago #89102 by
Thank you to all that have seen this and especially to everyone who replied. Its a hard time for all of us who knew her, because she was a person who could be friends with anyone. All of the people here give me strength with their compassion and consoling words. Thank you.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi