The Seemstress

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago - 11 years 8 months ago #73539 by
The Seemstress was created by
There was once a very skilled seemstress. She was extreemly talented in the art of hiding the stiches that held the cloth of her work together. Usually there was only one single stich that could be seen through the folds of clothing and linen that she crafted. And this one stich could only be detected by someone who had acctually witnessed the creation of the apparell. She sold all of her work to the merchants that travelled through her local town. She was very highly repsected and had no trouble with her reputation as a master of her art.

One day, the king of her realm paid her a visit. He requested: "Your work is famous! Make me the finest piece of cloting fit for a king!"

The woman returned to her workshop, highly confident and flattered at the kings praise and request. There, she used only the most luxurious cloth and darn to craft an apparell like none ever seen before under the earth. As the king had requested, the clothing was indeed the finest, and also indeed fit for a king.

She travelled to the castle and delared. "Your garment is ready! I am certain that you will be very pleased with it's craftmanship"

When the king saw it, he was overjoyed at its marvel. But there was also a knowing look in his eye that un-nerved the seemstress just a little. "It is not to your liking?" she asked.
"Infact, it is, as I requested, the finest work that has ever been made under the sun!" He replied.
"I am happy with my work!" Exlaimed the seemstress. "The merchants pay dearly for such things as this, but not nearlly such high quality" She added.

Suddenly the king looked thoughtfull. He nodded to the seemstress and went in to a small back room. When he returned, the woman was astonished. He held in his had a small black coat. It's craftmanship could rival even the master work that she had finished crafting for him that very day.
"It's..." the master was almost speechless, "It's, perfect"

"It would appeer so." said the king. "But of course there are allways imperfections, with any work"

"I can see none" said the master.

"And I can see none in yours" said the king.

"Mine? what on earth do you mean?" asked the the woman "Did you make this black coat yourself?"

"Indeed I did." Said the king.

The woman was aghast. All of this time, she was making apparell for the merchants, the king was atleast equally skiled at the art as she! As she contemlated this, she felt rather fooled and even tricked that the king was sectretly a master craftsman. She had had no doubt that she was un-equalled in all the land.

"I didn't come here to be ridiculled! Give me payment for my work!"

The king replied that all he could offer was this black coat.

"It will fetch a hansome price with your customers the merchants I'm sure!" Explained the king.

At this the woman snached the black coat form the king a stormed off. The king simply smiled and watched her go.

To be continued...
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 8 months ago #73648 by
Replied by on topic Re: The Seemstress
Interesting story! I can tell there are some morals in there (right?), but they are hard to pick out- they aren't highlighted, they just blend into the story. Or what I think are potential lessons in the story are negated later. For example, for a minute I thought one of morals of the story was going to be humility (woman is shown there are people who are just as good craftsmen as herself in the kingdom), but then her response is one of indignation and anger.

I was also confused at this part of the story:

"Mine? what on earth do you mean?" asked the the woman "Did you make this black coat yourself?"

I couldn't figure out why the king saying "And I can see none in yours" would illuminate to the woman that he was the coat's maker. And the "mine?" makes me think the king had somewhere said the word mine, which made her realize he was the creator, so I went back to search for where he had said it, which he hadn't.

Overall I liked it- flow is good, descriptive vocabulary really gave me a good mental illustration, I was curious where everything was headed. Looking forward to part 2!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 7 months ago #74058 by
Replied by on topic Re: The Seemstress
yeah that bit about his-coat her-coat needs some clarification. mabey a bit of a re-write so as not to confuse the reader. But I find when I'm writing, if I have to change something for clarification, the acctual storyline has to change aswell :blink: , completly turning away from the origional content.

But thanks for the reply, a story is nothing without a listener after all :laugh:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi