• User
  • User
    Inactive
  • the circle is now complete
More
15 years 9 months ago #16467 by Garm
New law bans smoking in motor vehicles

Date Published | Jun. 16, 2008

CNW - A new law that protects children under 16 from second-hand tobacco smoke in motor vehicles, was passed in the Ontario legislature today (Monday).

Second-hand smoke in motor vehicles can be up to 27 times more concentrated than in a smoker's home. Children exposed to second-hand smoke are more likely to suffer Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more severe asthma. Exposure to second-hand smoke among children has also been linked to lower cognitive test scores compared with children who were not exposed.

“We congratulate the Ontario government for taking this step to protect children's health,” says Peter Godhead, CEO of the Ontario division of the Canadian Cancer Society. “Children don’t have a choice when it comes to being exposed to second-hand smoke while travelling by car and the risk to their health is serious because they breathe more air relative to their body weight.”

Ontario has one of the toughest anti-smoking laws in North America. Since 2003, tobacco consumption in Ontario has fallen by more than 30 per cent.

\"Ontario's doctors would like to congratulate all MPPs for taking steps to protect the health of our children from the dangers of second-hand smoke,” aid Dr. Ken Arnold, president, Ontario Medical Association. “As doctors, we know how important it is to protect our children now so that they are able to lead healthy lives as adults. Doctors have been calling for a ban since 2004 and raising awareness about the serious impacts on children of second-hand smoke in cars. The amount of support it has received publicly and from MPPs of all stripes is an indication that more people are becoming educated about the negative health impacts of smoking. We're very excited to see this significant piece of legislation become a reality.\"

About the new law:
- Under the law, any person – driver or passenger – in the motor vehicle, who is smoking while someone else under 16 is present, is committing an offence. The person holding lighted tobacco would be subject to a fine.

- Every person who fails to comply with the new law is guilty of an offence and subject to a set fine of $250.

- The law applies to both moving and stationary vehicles and applies to all motor vehicles, regardless of whether any window, sunroof, rooftop, door, or other feature of the vehicle is open.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jon
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • May the Dark Side of the Force serve you well!
More
15 years 9 months ago #16468 by Jon
Does this apply to say smokers who have no children and are alone in the car? Although I completely agree on this Law in protecting Children and indeed anyone else (including other adults), I do see this as another step on clamping down on personal free choice. I mean in some places you can`t even smoke in a public open park when even no one is around.

The author of the TOTJO simple and solemn oath, the liturgy book, holy days, the FAQ and the Canon Law. Ordinant of GM Mark and Master Jestor.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16469 by
I think that banning smoking in cars that are carrying minors is an exellent idea. Banning smoking in cars all together is treading on dangerous ground. While I don't smoke and frankly can't stand the smell, I believe in personal choices and I wouldn't want the government to start mandating other parts of my life.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16472 by
I am also curious to learn if this includes being the car by yourself with no minor present. And yes it is important to protect our young from second hand smoke. I freely admit i smoke cigarrettes, but when i am around members that no longer smoke or do not smoke I try to maintain a fair distance from them especially my youngest sister who is allergic to smoke.

As for possible infrigment of liberties, yes that could happen and in some instances and states here like Master Hans said you can't smoke in public with out being fined.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16474 by
Well, its illegal to use mobile phones or eat whilst driving in the UK it is deemed driving without due care and attention, yet smoking isn't included, so I would like to see this introduced to UK law. Think about it, you drop a candy on your lap (when driving) what happens? not much, drop a smouldering cigarette and 'ouch' and potential accident as a result.

Now the thing is, where does all this end? Do we then see the banning of using car stereo? sat-nav? what next, shifting gear, using indicators etc. etc.

Whilst that is over the top, I hope you see my point.

Like in the UK, the USA are getting very much too 'Nanny State'

If a parent smokes in an enclosed environment with a child, well, isnt that a moral decision of the parent? or does one take the children of all smokers into state care on the off chance the child may suffer health wise from smoking parents?

Law often doesn't make sense when properly studied, I think common sense must be allowed to prevail.

MTFBWY - A

• Garm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
    Inactive
  • the circle is now complete
More
15 years 9 months ago #16477 by Garm
To answer the question of smoking in the car while alone...yep its alright...In Ontario, smoking is also banned from all work areas and public places...I have heard that there was a movement to prohibit smoking on the street, but that seems to have died away. Just this month another law passed that prohibits the display of cigs in stores, so now all smokes are kept under the counter and out of view...guess the idea is 'out of site, out of mind'. For me, I don't smoke so it means little to me and the benefits to younglings is a positive. The 'big brother' overtones are another matter though.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 years 9 months ago #16479 by
Very true on the out of site out of mind and in regards to younglings.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi