Why we need the old chat back

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #280422 by
Hey. If you know who i am, you have probably been in chat at least once. Because that's where i used to hang out. Since we moved, however, i don't really feel drawn that much to this place any more. That is, i feel drawn to a place that no longer exists. All the friends i made during my time here and who i have spoken to yet, agree with me on this: we need the old chat back. And that has several reasons i am now trying to collect. I will start with the ones that were most important to me.

Seclusion
The old chat was a real chatroom, with no possibilities of the content being read from outside the room. Some people may view this as a hindrance, I, however, do not. The other chat had more charme, because it was more private. You know exactly who you were talking to. The Temple has always been a place where people come to seek help, and it is far easier for some people to spill their guts in front of three or four people than to announce everything to the whole community.

Brightness
I detest reading black on white, especially at night. No uranium here.

Name visibility
Who am I talking to? i either have their avatars memorized, Or i have to look it up for every post. Horribly inconvenient! And what do i do when two people have the same avatar?

Design
Neither having a half-homepage full with the chat, nor having it as a small bar at the right side of the screen is convenient to me.

Tabs
With the old chat, if you used chrome or firefox, like most people do, you could open the chat in a different tab and continue your browsing and forum activities. Now, if i have multiple tabs open, every message blinks and beeps multiple times.

Options
This chat feels like it has a tenth of options for customization than the old one did.

Scrolling
With the old chat, you could stop the auto-scrolling, to give you the chance to read up on previous posts if you were afk for a while. Now, whenever anyone says anything, the chat jumps back down, and forces you to search for that one passage you wanted to read somewhere up there.

Red names
Yeah, the knights had red names once. You remember? :D

(might be extended)

Now, of course i have been focussing on the bad and the ugly. And I know fully well that the old chat had its flaws as well. And i do appreciate all the work and effort that has been put into this site. But this chat more seems like the old shoutbox to me.
I write this, because I miss the chat so much. Probably more than you would imagine. And when i am using the forum, you should now it's serious.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #280426 by JamesSand
I don't think many people would disagree with your points as such, but my understanding of why we have the current chat (or any chat at all) is because of technical limitations of the current site.

The effort required (as far as I know) to incorporate a more robust chat function with the features you desire would be extensive, and beyond the means or inclination of the present staff at this present time.

I don't think anyone particularly "likes" the current chat - but we all agree a second class ride is better than a first class walk (ie, better than no chat)
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Cyan Sarden

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #280440 by
Replied by on topic Why we need the old chat back
There is room for both chats, though the ability to easily mute the one we have now would be great, it makes lots of noise when there are lots of tabs open.

More
6 years 11 months ago #280441 by Brick
Replied by Brick on topic Why we need the old chat back
Yeah, I'm with Joe on this!

I REALLY miss the old chat! :(

I think the new one is great for quick queries from new members, but one rarely finds the in depth (and occasionally just plain silly) discussions that occurred in the old one

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Avalon, Cyan Sarden

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #280496 by
Personally prefer the new one. The old one required physically going into it....and then remembering it was even open in the first place. Which I very often forgot while writing journal posts, or posts in threads or multi tasking with Just Jedi and gathering things......the window gets lost in all the other windows.

At least this new one is attached to the window im working on and gives me a nice little pop up notification when people talk reminding me its there.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #280501 by
Personally, I enjoy the new one. Its out of the way, automatically logs on, and as a result I find more people are using it.

I do agree the colouring is harsh on the eyes (white on black), but the same could be said for the whole site. If that could be corrected (Love the old site colour scheme, really easy on the eyes), then the chat would be perfect IMO.

More
6 years 11 months ago #280533 by JamesSand

I do agree the colouring is harsh on the eyes (white on black), but the same could be said for the whole site. If that could be corrected

Eh what?

Can you screenshot that? My site is blue on white...

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
6 years 11 months ago #281647 by
Reply-time!
I can understand that automatic logon can seem practical, but I, and the people i work with in there value seclusion more. But also -

If this chat would lose its avatar-namelist, it would make an excellent shoutbox. It already has the option to recall past messages, even the ones you weren't actually there for. Make that option the new standard with a history of idk, a few days, and BAM! New shoutbox! And then bring back our beloved chat.

If the word seclusion sounds too negative in your ears, you can also call it privacy.

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #281652 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic Why we need the old chat back

Joe wrote: Reply-time!
I can understand that automatic logon can seem practical, but I, and the people i work with in there value seclusion more.

Auto logon is not fun for anyone who doesn't want to log into chat every time... right now I am (by my own request) banned from chat because auto logon drove me crazy! Downside is I can't attend any knightings :/

Can you screenshot that? My site is blue on white...

Bright white is pretty harsh, especially if you only read the forum at night.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Edan.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #281654 by Zenchi

Edan wrote: Downside is I can't attend any knightings :/

Ironically enough, I couldn't attend Knightings or sermons in the old chat. It's only because of the new chat I'll be able to attend tomorrow's Knighting... :cheer:

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Zenchi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: , ,

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi