Public
7 years 5 months ago #263610 by
Replied by on topic The TotJO Revolutionary Society

Manu wrote:

MartaLina wrote:

Manu wrote:

MadHatter wrote:

Khaos wrote:

edi are not called to lead from the front, at least from my interpretation of this passage. We lead by example, by uplifting others, by building up each other and those who seek us out.

How are you going to be an example from the back?

Ask the teachers and tutors of men like Marcus Aurelius or Alexander the Great. The teachers and tutors were most assuredly behind their pupils when it came to rank and authority.

So you would rather be the teacher of Alexander the Great rather than Alexander the Great. Why?

Maybe not wanting the big responsibilty and being exposed but enjoying teaching and tutoring? Just a thought ...

So those who can't (or in this case won't), teach? :dry:

I dont know what you pull it so much in the negative ...there is a difference in teaching people who will be in command and people who will be in command , are you saying one is a lesser person for not wanting that responsiblity , do you think its easy to be Supreme leader , does not sound like something that i would like to do , and i for one would not seek that

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #263611 by Leah Starspectre

Silas Mercury wrote: :/ As I said, it would be a Council of people representing each country. Not necessarily a Jedi, but someone with whom we could do business.

You mean the UN?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Avalon, Tarran, MadHatter

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #263612 by
No, I mean a person who has worked hard all their ljfe and deserves the post, not some posh dude who studied economics.

More
7 years 5 months ago #263613 by Brick

Silas Mercury wrote: No, I mean a person who has worked hard all their ljfe and deserves the post, not some posh dude who studied economics.

Nothing wrong with being posh, or studying economics for that matter

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alexandre Orion, OB1Shinobi,

More
7 years 5 months ago #263614 by MadHatter

Manu wrote:

MadHatter wrote:

Khaos wrote:

edi are not called to lead from the front, at least from my interpretation of this passage. We lead by example, by uplifting others, by building up each other and those who seek us out.

Ask the teachers and tutors of men like Marcus Aurelius or Alexander the Great. The teachers and tutors were most assuredly behind their pupils when it came to rank and authority.

So you would rather be the teacher of Alexander the Great rather than Alexander the Great. Why?

Because when I was in the military I have had leadership and authority and I loath it. A teacher passes on wisdom but rarely gives commands never mind giving orders that could costs lives needlessly. To have that power is not something I want. Its risks and the costs involved on a personal level and on a wider level if you mess up far outweigh any benefits to me. Nor do I think myself wise enough to rule nations. I am barely wise enough to rule over my cats and even that is a debate on who is in charge.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You: Loudzoo, , Kobos

More
7 years 5 months ago #263615 by Manu

MartaLina wrote: I dont know what you pull it so much in the negative ...there is a difference in teaching people who will be in command and people who will be in command , are you saying one is a lesser person for not wanting that responsiblity , do you think its easy to be Supreme leader , does not sound like something that i would like to do , and i for one would not seek that

Not purposefully trying to be negative, I just wanted to understand why someone would prefer to "lead from behind" rather than be the change you want to see.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #263616 by

Manu wrote:

MadHatter wrote:

Khaos wrote:

Teachers do not lead from the back.

Now you have confused rank with knowledge and wisdom, as well as leadership.

As well as authority.

As any pupil, regardless of rank, needs to have the strong ego to be taught, to be led. So they acknowledge their teacher/mentor/tutor actually possesses a level of authority above their own, else they would be a poor student.

Also do you really think Alexander the Great would want someone who was not willing to lead from the front?
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 5 months ago #263619 by

Manu wrote:

MartaLina wrote: I dont know what you pull it so much in the negative ...there is a difference in teaching people who will be in command and people who will be in command , are you saying one is a lesser person for not wanting that responsiblity , do you think its easy to be Supreme leader , does not sound like something that i would like to do , and i for one would not seek that

Not purposefully trying to be negative, I just wanted to understand why someone would prefer to "lead from behind" rather than be the change you want to see.

lol there is no such thing as leading from behind , one leads by example , and yes you can be an example and be change you want to see even if you are not in power/command.

More
7 years 5 months ago #263620 by rugadd
How about leading by example?

It is much more lasting and impressive, to me at least, when people are no coerced but instead want to do the thing.

rugadd
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tarran, MadHatter,

More
7 years 5 months ago #263621 by Manu

MadHatter wrote:

Manu wrote:

MadHatter wrote:

Khaos wrote:

Because when I was in the military I have had leadership and authority and I loath it. A teacher passes on wisdom but rarely gives commands never mind giving orders that could costs lives needlessly. To have that power is not something I want. Its risks and the costs involved on a personal level and on a wider level if you mess up far outweigh any benefits to me. Nor do I think myself wise enough to rule nations. I am barely wise enough to rule over my cats and even that is a debate on who is in charge.

Say I don't want the responsibility of making big world-changing decisions. Isn't teaching the one who does how to do it a huge responsibility in itself? I might be mistaken, but your point seems to be based on the fear of assuming responsibility.

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi