Hurricane Matthew

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259900 by
Hurricane Matthew was created by
Dear fellow Jedis,

Kit.Fenix here, and hopefully, after this weekend, I still will be.

I'm living in St. Augustine FL, getting ready for this massive hurricane. This storm is causing a massive disturbance in the Force for me.

This post is to ask for prayers and meditations from members no-where near my area, that I may survive to continue my training, and that the injured count and kill count of this storm will be as low as possible.

I would like to thank again, all those who've welcomed me to the church since I joined up a few days ago. I wish each and every one of you well.

If any other members live in the storm's path, I meditate and pray for you as well, we all must stick together, and try to keep our spirits up. We must not dwell in our fears and worries over this. If we can help anyone in the path of the storm, let us help them, while at the same time exercising caution for ourselves.

Patience and peace of mind are something of a challenge for me at this moment as the storm grows. So I hope I pass this test the Force is giving me. I will post again ASAP on my personal well-being after the storm has passed. If the Force willing, this will not be as bad as expected at this point in Florida weather.

Stay safe to everyone in the community no matter what adversity you may face, and may the Force be with you all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #259901 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic Hurricane Matthew
Be safe and keep us informed. Are you well stocked to ride this out?

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259902 by
Replied by on topic Hurricane Matthew

MadHatter wrote: Be safe and keep us informed. Are you well stocked to ride this out?

As stocked as we can. I live with my mom at the moment, and she has water and food ready. I prepared most of the patio furniture and items to be put up in the garage and we're making plans.

The news keeps changing on whether st. Augustine residents should be ordered to evacuate or not. Mom and I are 5 miles inward from the coast, but there's no telling how devastating it'll be, but I just have a bad feeling it'll be bad enough to wreck up the residential neighborhood we're in.

Thankyou for your concern MadHatter. I'll definitely keep everyone informed.

More
7 years 6 months ago #259903 by MadHatter

Kit.Fenix wrote:

MadHatter wrote: Be safe and keep us informed. Are you well stocked to ride this out?

As stocked as we can. I live with my mom at the moment, and she has water and food ready. I prepared most of the patio furniture and items to be put up in the garage and we're making plans.

The news keeps changing on whether st. Augustine residents should be ordered to evacuate or not. Mom and I are 5 miles inward from the coast, but there's no telling how devastating it'll be, but I just have a bad feeling it'll be bad enough to wreck up the residential neighborhood we're in.

Are you familiar with a bug out bag? Do you have enough water for a week or so if the water is contaminated? I can if you wish list some cheap last minute preps that might be useful. ( I am a prepper so this sort of thing is something I study a lot) I have family in Tampa and Fort Myers so I am connected to this pretty closely

Knight of the Order

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259907 by

MadHatter wrote:

Kit.Fenix wrote:

Are you familiar with a bug out bag? Do you have enough water for a week or so if the water is contaminated? I can if you wish list some cheap last minute preps that might be useful. ( I am a prepper so this sort of thing is something I study a lot) I have family in Tampa and Fort Myers so I am connected to this pretty closely

I'm not familiar with the bug out bag. Is it expensive? We don't have a lot of extra cash to throw down.

More
7 years 6 months ago #259910 by MadHatter

Kit.Fenix wrote:

MadHatter wrote:

Kit.Fenix wrote:

I'm not familiar with the bug out bag. Is it expensive? We don't have a lot of extra cash to throw down.

A bug out bag can be as expensive or as cheap as you make it. Its a bag that is put togeather with supplies to get you from a point a to a point b in the event of an evacuation. Frankly you are likely to have a lot of the standard stuff laying around the house. If you would like I can put up a list of standard items.

Knight of the Order

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259911 by

MadHatter wrote:

Kit.Fenix wrote:

MadHatter wrote:

Kit.Fenix wrote:

A bug out bag can be as expensive or as cheap as you make it. Its a bag that is put togeather with supplies to get you from a point a to a point b in the event of an evacuation. Frankly you are likely to have a lot of the standard stuff laying around the house. If you would like I can put up a list of standard items.

That information would be most helpful so I can at least have the list ready if we need to put one together. Thank-you.

More
7 years 6 months ago #259912 by MadHatter
I will preface this with I highly suggest good clothing with a hat, bandana, and sturdy shoes as something you just have every day so that is not part of the list.

Ok so here is my advice for a bug out bag in your situation.

1. A sturdy bag you can carry however far you need to go. Even if you have a car be ready to carry it on foot as gridlock can trap you in the car till you run out of gas

2. Water between 1-3 liters in any sort of container you like. However, I recommend that it's broken up into at least two containers so if one is punctured you still have a spare.

3. Some method to keep out of the rain. Be it a cheap dollar store poncho, a rain coat, a dollar store drop cloth with a hole cut in it, a large trash back with holes cut in it. Just something to keep you dry.

4. A medical kit

5. A knife of some sort

6. A set of work gloves

7. A flashlight and spare batteries

8. A small amount of food you can eat on the go such as power bars or any other ready to eat food

9. A change of clothing

10 A map of the route you will be taking and any backup routes in case roads are blocked.

11. Copies of your vital documents like ID, birth certificates, insurance papers etc. ( Can be on a USB as well)

Now that is the most basic of items that will take you from a to b however here are some more advanced items for things like getting stuck on the road along the way and needing to shelter overnight in a car or on foot. Or in the event that you need to provide self-rescue or aid to another.

12. A small pot or other metal container for boiling water

13. Drink powders like coffee, tea, juice mixes

14. A small pry bar ( can be bought cheaply at dollar tree)

15. A blanket or sleeping bag

16. A method to make fire

17. Some manner of creating shelter such as a tarp

18 Any self f defence items you can legally and comfortably carry

19. Some sort of cord material be it paracord ( 550 cord) or just regular rope around the house

20. Extra cash for resupply

21. Duct tape

An example video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIBuu2baI84

Knight of the Order

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259919 by
MadHatter gave some great tips, so all I can add is keep the faith in the Force and heed all warnings from the weather service! I lived in Florida for ten years and rode out many storms. Although I obviously survived they definitely test your patience and your faith. It is not possible to not be nervous with this coming your way, but we will all keep you and everyone else in our thoughts and hope things go well for you! Keep us posted!

May the Force be with you!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 6 months ago #259924 by
May the force be with you!

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi