Reminder: a 'Thank You' is not necessarily a 'Like'

More
7 years 7 months ago #254930 by Brick
I have noticed lately that a few people seem to think that there points are more or less valid than others based on how many 'Thank Yous' they get. Whilst a thank you can be given to show support and agreement for a point, it is worth noting that this is not always the case.

I for one often 'thank' posts that I totally disagree with as a 'Thank you for providing a point of view I had not considered', or simply, 'Thank you for providing an opinion at all'. I will then reply and tell the individual why I think they are wrong :laugh: .

I'm not saying that this is always the case, I'm simply pointing out that, just because you get a few 'thank yous', it does not mean that everyone thinks you're 'right' or agreed with your point. Likewise, if you don't get any thank yous it does not mean that everyone disagrees with you.

Please keep this in mind before thinking that your opinion is more or less 'valid' than someone else's in future :)

Apprentice to Maitre Chevalier Jedi Alexandre Orion

Moderator | Welcome Team | IP Team

IP Journal | IP Journal 2 | AP Journal | Open Journal

'The only contest any of us should be engaged in is with ourselves, to be better than yesterday'

- Knight Senan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson, steamboat28, Manu, Wescli Wardest, Ben, rugadd, Alexandre Orion, Kit, Avalon and 14 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #254945 by
:laugh: thank you for reminding me of that

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #254947 by
Which post did you accidentally thank and then think "oh crap" before writing this, Brick?

Just kidding :p good post, and good point. I quite often thank posts I disagree with because I feel they added to the discussion in a positive way.

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #254949 by Proteus
I understand the intent with thanking a post as a way of simply saying "thanks for your contribution".

I myself though, don't want to confuse anybody, particularly those who don't understand (I don't want to give a false signal), so I keep it simple and thank posts in which I do agree with. (Keeping in mind though, also, that not thanking something also does not mean that I don't agree. I thank posts rarely as a matter of criteria that speaks to me on a certain level)

With that said, if its okay to request it, I would like anyone who comes upon my posts to only thank it if they agree with it, for that same purpose. :)

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Proteus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alethea Thompson

More
7 years 7 months ago #254952 by Manu

Brick wrote: I for one often 'thank' posts that I totally disagree with as a 'Thank you for providing a point of view I had not considered', or simply, 'Thank you for providing an opinion at all'. I will then reply and tell the individual why I think they are wrong :laugh: .

Exactly, I often do the same :)

The pessimist complains about the wind;
The optimist expects it to change;
The realist adjusts the sails.
- William Arthur Ward
The following user(s) said Thank You: , Brick

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #254966 by
Thanks for the reminder.

That is why I would love to see more "buttons" on the bottom. I would like to see words like "OK", "GOOD POINT" "SCREW YOU", "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING", "DO YOU KISS YOUR MOTHER WITH THAT MOUTH". :evil:

So what do you think computer guy? can we get some? :woohoo:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #254990 by
I like to "Thank You" people who respond directly to my posts but I don't feel like a full response is really necessary. I also do it to show agreement.

I'm with Phortis, more buttons would be amazing. Maybe not all the ones he suggested, but... :laugh: A "Do you kiss your mother with that mouth button" would be highly useful.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #254998 by
I agree with OP on this one, as it pertains to how I've dealt with (and taught others to deal with) bullies in the past. I've taught a flow chart style of dealing with bullies on a verbal/emotional level (obviously doesn't work with physical bullying) that is basically a series of questions such as "Is it true?" and "Can you do anything about it?". If what the bully says (such as making fun of an acne breakout) is true, can be improved, and the person cares to work on it...I've suggested actually thanking the bully, despite the intention of the bully's statement. As in "Thank you. I wasn't sure if my acne was getting out of control again, but apparently it has become noticeable. I can certainly wash my face more than I have been and cut back on greasy foods more often. Thank you, and have a great day!"

So yeah, I don't see "Thank you" as necessarily meaning "I share your intentions and point of view", but that it can mean more. Even if it's a "Thank you. I had never considered it like that. I want to think more about your point, because it's a good one."

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #255084 by

Proteus wrote: I understand the intent with thanking a post as a way of simply saying "thanks for your contribution".

I myself though, don't want to confuse anybody, particularly those who don't understand (I don't want to give a false signal), so I keep it simple and thank posts in which I do agree with. (Keeping in mind though, also, that not thanking something also does not mean that I don't agree. I thank posts rarely as a matter of criteria that speaks to me on a certain level)

I'm with Pro on this. While I can appreciate an opposing view presented well and courteously, it's seldom that I will hit the thanks button unless I can get behind what's being presented as well as the manner in which it's presented. Especially in some of the wilder areas of the forum, I don't often want to give the tacit validation that having my name in the "thanks" list implies. That's how I see Pro's point about giving false signals.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by . Reason: geez, confused thanks with likes again

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 7 months ago #255096 by
I think it would be good to understand the button for what it is. Personally, I've never seen this button anywhere else. I've seen "like" and "upvotes/downvotes", etc, but I've never seen a "thank you". So, I take it at face value, and I think it's good to have a post such as this to remind others. Although it's fine (of course) if people want to use it only for statements or posts they agree with, it's also good to remember that the button does not say "I agree". It says "Thank you". Multiple buttons would be a great compromise, but I'm in the habit of taking things as they are, not as I'd like them to be. :-P

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi