The olympics and Russia

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #251734 by
The olympics and Russia was created by
We're now 5 days into the Olypmics, and it's been amazing so far. I'm personally looking forward to seeing the sprints and the cycling, swimming and diving was amazing!

I know it's kind of old news at this stage, but I'm sure we're all aware of the Russian doping scandal from a couple weeks ago. Even though they doped, the team was still allowed to contend and this isn't the first time the Russian team has done it sadly. What's your thoughts on it? Do you think the team should have been allowed to play, or should some or all have been banned? And most importantly what do you think should be done to try and prevent it again?

Personally I believe the athletes that were using the drugs should have been banned from the 2016 games. As for the doping, I think random spot checks should be introduced. I know there are routine ones for let's say a few hours before races, but there's no harm in just randomly saying "ok, we'll have another 5 minutes before the start." The tests don't take long to do, it would definitely catch some users out and it would probably frighten away other potential drug users.

That's my opinion, what are yours? Thanks for reading and I hope you have a great day/evening :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #251738 by Lykeios Little Raven
I think the athletes should have been banned from competing. It is completely unfair that they were allowed to compete after being caught doping. I don't understand why they've allowed them to compete. Seems to me that there should be pretty strict rules against performance enhancers. In fact I thought they were pretty strict rules. I figured anyone caught doping would be immediately banned from the Olympics.
It's a shame that these athletes are driven to do that to their bodies. It seems like there is a culture of drugging in Russia and that's too bad. Athletes shouldn't have to take illegal drugs just to be competitive. Sports are supposed to be a measurement of an athlete's individual strength and skill not a measurement of how doped up one can get.

“Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” -Zhuangzi

“Though, as the crusade presses on, I find myself altogether incapable of staying here in saftey while others shed their blood for such a noble and just cause. For surely must the Almighty be with us even in the sundering of our nation. Our fight is for freedom, for liberty, and for all the principles upon which that aforementioned nation was built.” - Patrick “Madman of Galway” O'Dell
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
7 years 9 months ago #251803 by ren
Replied by ren on topic The olympics and Russia
I think it's nice that the competition also represents brain muscles. Developing drugs and using them for top international sport competitions is not for the feeble minded... You need chemists, doctors, con artists, people skills and team spirit. Quite possibly the most interesting and technical aspect of the competition.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brick,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #251810 by
Replied by on topic The olympics and Russia
Dont ask me , apparantly we send someone home for drinking a few beers , its tearing up the country in a for Yuri and against Yuri camp , we did not have this much disagreement since Brexit happened :laugh:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #251811 by
Oh Lord, don't get me started on Brexit!! XD

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #251814 by
No. The athletes should be jailed (unless they took the drugs without knowing it).

More
7 years 9 months ago #251817 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic The olympics and Russia
I don't reckon they should allow professional athlete's either but I guess that becomes a bit tricky when it needs to engage the public's interest in sport's which already have pro followings.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #251825 by
Just more nonsense to stir up negative public perception of Russia.

More
7 years 9 months ago #251838 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic The olympics and Russia

Lightstrider wrote: Just more nonsense to stir up negative public perception of Russia.

I don't think systemic cheating in international sport is nonsense.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

More
7 years 9 months ago #251840 by MadHatter
Replied by MadHatter on topic The olympics and Russia

Adder wrote: I don't reckon they should allow professional athlete's either but I guess that becomes a bit tricky when it needs to engage the public's interest in sport's which already have pro followings.

What is an Olympic Athlete but a professional athlete? They train their entire lives for it and often make money in other competitions in the interval years. So how is that any different then and NBA player or what have you? I am a little curious as to what you meant.

Knight of the Order
Training Master: Jestor
Apprentices: Lama Su, Leah
Just a pop culture Jedi doing what I can

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi