First computer build advice?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251198 by
So I'll be designing/building my first computer in the next few months, and I was wondering if anyone has any advice on the matter. It's primary use will be gaming, audio recording, and web browsing, but it will on most likelihood end up being used for video editing at some point too. I don't have a fixed budget yet, but I'm just looking for general advice for now.

Thank you and may the force be with you.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #251207 by x57z12
Replied by x57z12 on topic First computer build advice?
Hm, not much to say there, I’ll just note a few points down that came to mind:

1) If you are going for video editing you might want to go for a full-fledged quad core or more (not 2 cores with hyper threading) As far as I remember video editing strongly utilizes the CPU (as opposed to games which mostly need the GPU)
2) Get an SSD as your OS Disk. Having two disks is always preferable to use more than one channel, additionally having at least your OS on an SSD will dramatically increase your overall system performance over a generic rotary disk
3) GPU pricing is somewhat tricky right now so do your math. Where I am two cards of the entry level are cheaper than midlevel and outperform a high-level card while being a fair bit cheaper. Speaking of current gen exclusively.
4) Speaking of CPU: If it is going to be Intel and you are not going to overclook (which you shouldn’t unless you know exactly what you are doing) make sure not to buy those models only more expensive for their unlooked multipliers (I think -K or -X? Not sure)
5) Storage technology is on the edge of another break through (well, it’s happened already but it’s buyable soon): Optane-SSD or 3D-Xpoint-memory. I believe good SSD’s now do ~800MB per second? Those do up to 2GB

That’s as far as generic tips go. If you have more specific questions I might provide more specific answers though ;)

Afternote:
I did try to avoid specific brand names, I'm not a commercial ;)
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by x57z12.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carlos.Martinez3, Rex

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
7 years 8 months ago #251236 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic First computer build advice?
Build for the future, not the present....generally technology is outdated every 6 months or so...unless you want to buy/build a machine often it's better to over build now so that you can simply upgrade parts later...if you only need 500gb HD now build at least 1tb (currently I have about 3tb of data across 4 hd's)...the last machine I bought was 7 years ago, but I planned far enough ahead that today it is still faster than many machines currently available, all I had to do was upgrade the HD and get a few external hd's...I plan to get another from the same company as they make the best gaming rigs...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251239 by
Replied by on topic First computer build advice?
Thank you both! I will review your advice at least 2 or 3 times before I commit to anything.

More
7 years 8 months ago #251242 by Gisteron
CPUs typically perform better at lower temperatures. If you'll have a high load for prolonged periods, especially in the summer, do not skimp on cooling hardware either. SSDs used to have a problem with frequent small data transfer and changes so you had to keep defragmenting them if you had something like an OS on them, not sure whether that's gotten any better by now. At any rate, depending on what kind of video editing you speak of, you will definitely need spare space. For instance, when I saved a just over 2h long movie in 720p in raw jpeg frames (a well compressed format, mind you), those frames alone took up a solid 70GiB. Games of that size are becoming an ever more frequent sight, too. This of course does not compare to real-time capturing video that sometimes isn't so generous as to compress the frames.
Whereas AMD are the kings of the performance-to-price ratio, Intel delivers in matters of compatibility. I have myself built an AMD system in 2014. Being a renderer myself my machine's strengths are its RAM capacity and its CPU. Whether more cores or higher rates are more important will be a matter of the software you use and how it handles multi-threading. As for gaming, I am sitting on a mid-range graphics card with an AMD GPU and while few titles are optimized for that (Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider are), if we are talking about a decent enough PC port in the first place, the only pleasure I can't have with hardware like this is maxing out the settings whilst keeping a constant 60+ framerate.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned

More
7 years 8 months ago #251243 by x57z12
Replied by x57z12 on topic First computer build advice?
Agreed on the cooling. Adding a case fan or two won’t hurt either.
Generally, SSD’s are not defragmented since they write scattershot-fashioned and access by algorithm rather than track (which would be the case with rotary disks). Since those algorithms are handled by the SSD controller, defragmenting does not really do anything, however windows 10 bundled a few functions under that tool, namely ‘Defragment and Optimize Drives’ which does the trimming/updating/maintenance on SSD’s too (Windows detects what kind of disc it is using)

While AMD is usually cheaper at an equal to better performance, they generally draw more power too and heat up more. I found any brand to be capable to perform to the task, it’s mostly either brand loyalty or personal specifics (if you are working in a deep freeze office heat won’t be as much of a problem as in a small, hot room).

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251310 by
Figured out the budget it's 800-12,00.

The video editing is more of a nebulous "I should learn how to do that since I want to produce my own films." Type of thing. But I'm not even a novice, I'm a complete laymen in that sense and admittedly this will be mostly used for gaming. I also have no brand loyalty to speak of. I also have no idea what I'm doing with overclocking so I wont be doing that for my first build.

So. Where do I start? Picking parts I assume but I'm looking at various CPUs and GPUs on NewEgg and I'm just sitting here like

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251333 by
Read reviews. :)

More
7 years 8 months ago #251345 by Kit
Replied by Kit on topic Re:First computer build advice?
Make sure everything fits... we tend to start worth deciding what chip we want and building from there.

Did I mention to check that everything fits?

My husband did the shopping for our rigs this time...he had to run to the computer store (an hour drive each way) three times XD

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 8 months ago #251707 by
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mx.7Blue/saved/bH7rxr

This is what I got for the first draft, what do you guys think?

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi