A Real Physical Temple

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #250152 by
A Real Physical Temple was created by
Ok, guys, Clergy, members, knights, novices and everyone else, you know that I feel the Temple should make themselves more active, and it's just an idea I have, but at some point I'd really like to build an 'actual Temple'. Now, the obvious place would be the United States;
http://www.loopnet.com/Churches-For-Sale/
heres the UK
http://www.churchofscotland.org.uk/about_us/property_and_church_buildings/properties_for_sale

Now, I understand that some of you are parents, children, grandparents aunts and uncles, so I am not asking you to move in, i am just suggesting that maybe we could have one Temple in USA and one in the UK and maybe one in Australia, where we and other Jedi can visit to conversate and talk and meditate in person with other Jedi. So, there would be meditation rooms and a dojo and maybe 3 - 4 living quarters where Jedi can spend as many nights as they wish if they have nowhere to go or are passing by. Someone could be a caretaker of the temple, and they could live there permanently and look after the temple, a job i wouldn't mind, but we'd need to fundraise first to buy the temple. Then we could edit it how we please, maybe have a Br John statue, too :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Also, we could host the meet ups there. Please tell me what you think, I really believe that this could happen, and i am confident that the force will help us. Thank you, MTFBWY
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #250154 by Edan
Replied by Edan on topic A Real Physical Temple
How thoroughly have you thought this through? I only ask because it will never be as simple as just buying somewhere. It will require constant money for maintenance, taxes, cleaning, possibly paying someone to live there to look after it.
Totjo's donations just about pay for our hosting right now, where will the money come from?

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just be realistic... Property, especially in the UK, is expensive... So are the taxes...

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Edan.

More
7 years 9 months ago #250155 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic A Real Physical Temple
Make a business plan up to see how one might operate!? I guess it would have a list of ongoing costs and a couple of strategies to meet and exceed those costs. Then there would be an idea of what sort of site/facility is required, and this then can be placed next to example site acquisitions (whether buy or lease), to outline the costs of having the site. The more thorough the better the chance of success, or minimizing the extent of it failure.

When I do projects that require planning like this I usually do three models; a cheapest suitable, a comfortable ideal, and an unlikely but perhaps possible dream. Aim for the best one, track progress and usually end up at the middle one
:silly:

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yugen, Rex

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250157 by
Replied by on topic A Real Physical Temple
Yeah we can think of that later.

More
7 years 9 months ago #250166 by Rex
Replied by Rex on topic A Real Physical Temple
I'm genuinely interested in the idea of a physical namesake Temple of the Jedi Order. I don't talk about it because I know I can't invest time or money into realizing it right now.
If you have upwards the $300,000 USD initial investment lying around plus the ~$50,000 per annum to run it, by all means, I think TOTJO would love a building. (Plus the donation would be tax deductible for Americans)
Otherwise, back to optimistic dreaming for us both

Knights Secretary's Secretary
Apprentices: Vandrar
TM: Carlos Martinez
"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes" - Wittgenstein
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yugen

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250176 by

Silas Mercury wrote: Yeah we can think of that later.

To be fair, we would need to think of that before we took action. Why jump in and invest in a property without a plan as to how to move forward with it? Why spend thousands of dollars on something only to figure out that it was all a waste because there is no feasible way to continue forward?

More
7 years 9 months ago #250179 by Tellahane
Replied by Tellahane on topic A Real Physical Temple
I think if I ever win the lottery it will happen...Actually I think if most people here, any of them win the lottery something like this would happen, otherwise the Jedi population in general is to sparsely located to even remotely make use of the building, it would be empty more then 300 days out of the year, and your still doing maintenance on the 365 days regardless. Rent, electric, water bills etc, if there's not a weekly attendance of reasonable proportions its not even really self-sustaining.

About every few months there is a thread about a real temple, usually from those who are new and get excited about the idea, and theres always 2 sides of the argument but unless the population boones out of control there's not enough people to really pull it off yet. I think even the numbers in both the chicago jedi and california jedi combined probably wouldn't quite be enough to even put up a church/temple in either of their locations.

I'm sure once the populations improve it will be one of the first things sought after.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250267 by
Ok, then how about we ask everyone here to save up something like $2 a day for the next 4 or so years, and then at the annual reunions we give the money to someone on the council who will oversee that it goes someplace good, then, we invest that money in a Temple. Sound like a good idea ??

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250269 by
$730 a year, each? I wish I had enough spare cash to save $2 a day for something other than rent and food! :dry:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 9 months ago #250270 by
well how about $1 - or 50 cents ?http://www.mtv.com/shared/promoimages/bands/123/50_cent/flipbook_0507/cr_jason_campbell/flipbook_crops/01.jpg

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi