Lightsaber Training for fitness

More
7 years 9 months ago #247752 by Tellahane
So since the force awakens has come out, and not necessarily in relation to Jediism, I've noticed an increase of coming across articles or random ads and things for lightsaber training for fitness or a form of martial arts training becoming more of a popular thing. Just like Yoga or Cross Fit or anything else they seem to be teaching a standard of forms, and for various purposes. Granted some of these places were around and doing this before awakens but the top 4 places I could find are linekd below:

Ludo Sport in Italy

Golden Gate Knights in California

New York Jedi

Terra Prime Light Saber Academy (which has their own youtube channel with all the training on it in general).

I just wanted to know if anyone else has attended any of these classes anywhere or seen anything starting to increase near them. I have to work in some low-impact cardio fitness in per my dr. orders and on top of bicycling I was looking to do something else on rainy days etc, but there aren't really any classes like that anywhere near me, and I was wanting to find a online source or something that I could use to see if I could do some self training, and go through it much like one would go through yoga. For fitness/health but also discipline purposes as well.

Any thoughts from anyone else? or if anyone knows of anything like this down in the central illinois area =p

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #247769 by TheDude
I've seen a few lightsaber academies. Some of them look good, but honestly if you're looking to get as good as possible, studying a martial art like kendo, HEMA, fencing, kobudo, or any other serious weapon based art is probably your best bet. I personally think that the methods of Chinese swordsmanship are most like forms 4, 5, and 7. Japanese swordsmanship is most like form 1. Fencing is most like form 2. HEMA can probably represent any of the forms depending on the school.

If you want to learn stuff at home, I guess the option I'd pick is to learn the tai chi sword and saber stuff. Slow, easily learned, hard to master. Kills your legs with the slow motion.

I personally wouldn't use the lightsaber academies myself, and prefer to find what it was based on instead. But you probably would get fine exercise by following TPLA's video tutorials.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tellahane

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi