Indeed.

More
7 years 10 months ago #245117 by Leah Starspectre
Indeed. was created by Leah Starspectre
One of my biggest flaws is "rightfighting," but I've been trying so hard to improve that aspect of myself. Lately, when I find myself in (or get myself into) an unhealthy confrontational situation (we're talking in person, or in instant messaging), I find myself channeling Teal'c from "Stargate" and responding with a simple "Indeed." (not "Indeed?" or "Indeed...") I used it last night with my step-sister, and many other times in the past few weeks.

And so far, it's worked marvelously to defuse/de-escalate. It acknowledges the other person's position in a neutral way, but doesn't encourage further argument by declaring a "winner." It can come off as snarky, if you use the wrong tone, but when used appropriately, I've found it to be invaluable in my argument arsenal. :P

What do you think?

I think Teal'c may have been a Jedi ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garm, Adder, Breeze el Tierno, Cyan Sarden, Brick

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #245187 by x57z12
Replied by x57z12 on topic Indeed.
My grasp on the English language is not fine-tuned enough to understand whether this ‘Indeed’ is meant to keep the conversation going without actually giving an opinion or whether it is meant as general agreement (in the example you provided), could you explain that to a non-native speaker? :) Generally, I do agree on using certain patterns to keep argumentations contained.

My phrase would be “In what way?” / ”How so?” Displaying the will to understand where the other is coming from usually calms the heat. Also most people tend to ‘run themselves tired’ when allowed/encouraged to get it all out in detail. Others start making progress by being coerced to deal with the single aspect rather than the ‘big angry picture’ (I guess something about things not being as big as they seem, plus figuring out how to break things down to explain usually distracts from excessive emotions).

Sadly I have not seen enough Star Gate to form an opinion on Teal’c ‘s jediness ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You:

More
7 years 10 months ago #245188 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic Indeed.
My guess is;
Happy indeed = agreement.
Expressionless indeed = understanding, opinion not yet formed.
Confused indeed = disagrees, but neutral due to perception of it being an effort to understand and consider the other point of view.
Angry indeed = look out, run!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cyan Sarden, , x57z12

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #245189 by
Replied by on topic Indeed.
Indeed = yeah whatever? It works untill they find out its used as a lightning conductor, as soon as quarrelsome people find out that its used that way , they will find another way to get under your skin. It would for me be an indicator that people are not listening to what i am saying , their "Indeed" could be a way of not wanting to listen and be done with the conversation because they don't value my opinion and think theirs is better on forehand.

More
7 years 10 months ago #245190 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic Indeed.

MartaLina wrote: Indeed = yeah whatever? It works untill they find out its used as a lightning conductor, as soon as quarrelsome people find out that its used that way , they will find another way to get under your skin. It would for me be an indicator that people are not listening to what i am saying , their "Indeed" could be a way of not wanting to listen and be done with the conversation because they don't value my opinion and think theirs is better on forehand.

I tend to use the word too often, I believe - but usually in written language, not during conversations. I use it as an expression of agreement and appreciation, though, and not as a means to modify the conversation.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 10 months ago #245193 by
Replied by on topic Indeed.

Cyan Sarden wrote:

MartaLina wrote: Indeed = yeah whatever? It works untill they find out its used as a lightning conductor, as soon as quarrelsome people find out that its used that way , they will find another way to get under your skin. It would for me be an indicator that people are not listening to what i am saying , their "Indeed" could be a way of not wanting to listen and be done with the conversation because they don't value my opinion and think theirs is better on forehand.

I tend to use the word too often, I believe - but usually in written language, not during conversations. I use it as an expression of agreement and appreciation, though, and not as a means to modify the conversation.

I used it as that aswell but am very carefull to do so , it can sound desinterested if you use it too often is what i meant :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi