Why so clueless about internet safety?

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222692 by
The sad thing is that even in TOTJO we are not able to trust everyone coming and going. In perfect world, we would be. Partially, I'm consciously lowering my security in TOTJO as a gesture of trust - but I'm adult and if someone bothers to fly to Russia to try kick my ass, it'll be sweet B)

Maybe the Council should include internet privacy into some special IP section?
Maybe, only for young people?
Maybe, make it a necessary condition to create a young person's profile?

At the very least, there can be made some clear warning of internet dangers as a step of registration and an approval button. You just have to write it short and bold, not like software licenses.

Also, there can be found a software solution - there ought to be some anonymity plugin for kunena. One that will enforce hiding of certain textual patterns (phone numbers, age, address, social media pages) from certain groups of users. If there is no such plugin, I suggest we consider writing one. Anyway, this supposed plugin will work fuzzy and everyone will hate it.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222694 by Edan

den385 wrote: Maybe the Council should include internet privacy into some special IP section? Maybe, only for young people? Maybe, make it a necessary condition to create a young person's profile?

I don't think you can prevent people from creating profiles, but date of birth is no longer a profile option because of the issues stated in this thread. Under 18s get told several times not to post information, starting with the Youth FAQ. If they don't choose to read it properly there's little I can do but report any of them posting personal information.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Edan.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #222695 by
Oh, Edan, there's a better software solution.

We can search by pattern and then eliminate fuzziness by hand.

(And I've edited both this and previous posts).

Surely, as a programmer, I tend to underestimate the worktime complexity of such thing.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by .

More
8 years 3 months ago #222885 by Avalon

Exarchias wrote:

Avalonslight wrote: It's my experience that most people don't really pay attention to any online video/course that you ask them to pay attention to. They figure if they watch it, they can check the box, and completely forget anything that might have even slightly stuck in their minds. I saw it time and time again while I was in the military with our annual "general military training" courses on things like sexual assault, don't drink and drive... etc etc etc...

Hello Avalonslight!
At first i wish to thank you for your thoughts
Maybe that you were said is true but I believe that video material are more easy material than text, more easy to be shared, and they can promote totjo in some cases. and video with audio of course can be helpful for older people, younger people, and people with limited sight.
Best Regards.
Robert.

Oh, I don't disagree that it's more effect than text based. The effectiveness of certain lessons diminishes a bit when presented in a text format. This is probably one which is better presented in a video format. That said, I still don't think it's all that effective... Again, just speaking from experience. People tend to not pay attention to things like this until and/or after it has directly affected them. Just my experience...

Not all those who wander are lost
Studies Journal | Personal Journal

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 3 months ago #222910 by

Attachment h95c7002.png not found

Captcha, perhaps? There are different ways to benevolently torture people before registration. :)
Attachments:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267964 by
Very interesting video about the consequences of the "free" services in the Internet era.
IMHO this is not terrible or bad, jus a different model that some mey not be aware of, so this is to aware people on the use of this tools that personally I find very useful and interesting.
https://youtu.be/5pFX2P7JLwA

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267974 by
Should it not be possible to make the information provided invisible on certain accounts, except to moderators? I've seen similar systems used before on other sites, so I'd think there's a fair bit of documentation out there as far as implementing such a solution.

More
7 years 4 months ago #267978 by Edan

magmon wrote: Should it not be possible to make the information provided invisible on certain accounts, except to moderators? I've seen similar systems used before on other sites, so I'd think there's a fair bit of documentation out there as far as implementing such a solution.

There are many ways to give out the same piece of information, unless people posted things in a certain format every time I can't believe it's possible to hide all instances of certain information.

It won't let me have a blank signature ...

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
7 years 4 months ago #267983 by

Edan wrote:

magmon wrote: Should it not be possible to make the information provided invisible on certain accounts, except to moderators? I've seen similar systems used before on other sites, so I'd think there's a fair bit of documentation out there as far as implementing such a solution.

There are many ways to give out the same piece of information, unless people posted things in a certain format every time I can't believe it's possible to hide all instances of certain information.

Ah, I see. I was thinking specifically on profile pages. I hadn't thought big enough.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi