For the love of analog

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210445 by
For the love of analog was created by
Does anyone here have a turntable? I ask because I love records, but I've always struggled to explain why I prefer them over digital music. First I thought it was nostalgia, then I actually convinced myself that the audiophiles were right and that vinyl actually sounded better, but no, that's a subjective judgement, and with my tinnitus I wouldn't notice if it did anyway. When it really comes down to it, I think the appeal is something much more Zen; when you listen to an mp3 on your iPod or phone, chances are you could be doing any number of different things at the same time, even if you aren't the possibility is there, whereas when you put the needle down on a record, chances are you've committed yourself for a full-attention listening experience for the duration. It's much more meditative, the whole ritual of setting things up and getting the record going, that even the "worst" music (subjective of course) becomes the most important thing for you at that moment.

When all you're dealing with are bits of data and metadata that can be perfectly transferred from medium to medium, the medium itself begins feeling disposable, and while I don't so much subscribe to the concept of essentialism, there is something to be said for the whole "the medium is the message" thing. Right now I have a subscription to Apple music, so I can listen to pretty much anything I could possibly want, and yet, I find myself listening even less than I ever did, because it somehow makes even the absolute best music seem completely worthless. I think there probably really is a great deal of value to be gotten out of not only being able to physically interact with the music, but also the fact that there's a time and mental investment involved. Also, hey, you may end up with pops and crackles, but those are your pops and crackles - wonderful reminders of the impermanence of all things and the perfectly imperfect nature of the physical world.

Some people say vinyl has more soul, I disagree; I believe we listen to records to better find our own soul.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #210446 by Adder
Replied by Adder on topic For the love of analog
I have 2 milk crates full of early to mid 90's EDM :blink:
Have you ever tried mixing vinyl? Nothing quite like watching a couple of decks spin around and knowing where on the vinyl the music is physically laid out on the record. Throwing records on and off the deck quickly between mixing, in and out of their sleeves trying not to mix em up or make a mess, or worse step on one... all the while trying to make things sound smoooooth. It was 'fun'

:lol:
Now I can just listen to them on youtube.....

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Adder.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210458 by
Replied by on topic For the love of analog

Adder wrote: I have 2 milk crates full of early to mid 90's EDM :blink:
Have you ever tried mixing vinyl? Nothing quite like watching a couple of decks spin around and knowing where on the vinyl the music is physically laid out on the record. Throwing records on and off the deck quickly between mixing, in and out of their sleeves trying not to mix em up or make a mess, or worse step on one... all the while trying to make things sound smoooooth. It was 'fun'

:lol:
Now I can just listen to them on youtube.....

Never had the reflexes for it myself, but always admired those who did, was a big fan of Ad Rock, Jam Master Jay and DJ Jazzy Jeff.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210474 by
A cousin of mine is really into vinyls too, and at first I didn't get it. Being my age, I don't remember hearing many records, though my dad had a ton of them (we're both musicians). I always loved looking at the art on each cover. But I didn't really get into music until my teens when I became a huge Beatles fan, and by that time, CDs had taken over. I've considered getting a turntable, just to see what everyone is so crazy about. It's understandable that they might sound better. Especially music from the 70's and earlier, since they were recorded for records in mind.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210476 by

Streen wrote: Especially music from the 70's and earlier, since they were recorded for records in mind.

Few music experiences IMO can beat laying back in a beanbag chair and listening to Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars on vinyl. :cheer:

More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #210481 by Proteus
Replied by Proteus on topic For the love of analog

CryojenX wrote: Few music experiences IMO can beat laying back in a beanbag chair and listening to Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars on vinyl. :cheer:

Or Rush's "Moving Pictures" album for that matter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A9mR6MOtXc

“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
― Bruce Lee

House of Orion
Offices: Education Administration
TM: Alexandre Orion | Apprentice: Loudzoo (Knight)

The Book of Proteus
IP Journal | Apprentice Volume | Knighthood Journal | Personal Log
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by Proteus.

More
8 years 5 months ago #210484 by Zenchi
Replied by Zenchi on topic For the love of analog
I remember being high at a friends house for the first time hearing Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon on his parents turntable, pure magic...

My Word is my Honor, and my Honor is my Life ~ Sturm Brightblade
Passion, yet Serenity
Knighted Apprentice Arisaig
TM- RyuJin

More
8 years 5 months ago #210486 by Cyan Sarden
Replied by Cyan Sarden on topic For the love of analog
I love vinyl records, and anything else analog. It reminds me of simpler times, with fewer distractions. I have my entire room set up so I can make all electronic gadgets disappear - I do so before meditation sessions, for example. Getting rid of the digital distractions has a calming effect on me.

Do not look for happiness outside yourself. The awakened seek happiness inside.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago #210493 by
I have had my record player, that was passed down to me from my father when I was 9.

I dont prefer records, but I certainly enjoy them, mostly for sentimental reasons then anything else.

I dont have any problem with my IPOD though.

If you enjoy the pops and crackles so much, just record them, but it doesnt make it any more or less disposable for me to have them or not.

Which is funny, because when they were first out, people didnt get them for reasons like that, it was simply all they had.

Such as doing other things while listening to music, well, when record players were first out...you did.

Its fascinating for me, the reason people do things and enjoy things sometimes. Certainly, I could say mix tapes are awesome, and there was something to having to try and catch a song on the radio to record it, having to earn it, and making the proper mix that would be just the coolest collection of songs. As for those of us born in the 80s there was a whole culture around mixtapes and cassette tapes.

However, I really enjoy just making a mix on my IPOD,because yes, I have a ton of other stuff to do in my day, because that is my mix tape now. It also has several of its own specific pops and crackles.

Listen closely to your life, it gets more complex and you better learn to set that up and it is its own meditative process.

The student learning....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP59tQf_njc

The master at work....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9iYchHgygc

By the way, if you havent seen INK, most here I think would enjoy it.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #210551 by

Khaos wrote: Such as doing other things while listening to music, well, when record players were first out...you did.

Good point, maybe it was just me. As a kid, you put on a record and I was completely transfixed in amazement. I also had an obsession with cassettes as well. Perhaps the problem is that with the distractions of the internet, I'd become less meditative about my listening, and let distractions steal me away. Perhaps I just need a new set of rituals to get me into the right frame of mind (including not listening while on the computer doing things).

EDIT: Love the videos btw, especially the student one. Very "Jedi". ;)
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by .

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi