What my first year at TOTJO was like

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #101991 by

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 1 month ago #101994 by Alexandre Orion
That is beautiful, Sean :)

Be a philosopher ; but, amidst all your philosophy, be still a man.
~ David Hume

Chaque homme a des devoirs envers l'homme en tant qu'homme.
~ Henri Bergson
[img
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #101997 by
I second Alexandre, it actually sparked some emotion deep within myself...rather touching.

More
11 years 1 month ago #102035 by Ben
We all have ups and downs in our motivation and enthusiasm levels here...I'd be amazed if there is anyone who has been here a year or more who hasn't struggled with it at some point...

The trick (or perhaps one of many possible 'tricks') is to remember that motivation is like the the tides of the sea.

The tide comes in, forceful and strong...think of the tide coming in in a storm...it's frenzied, wild, all-consuming...

But, eventually, no matter how strongly and forcefully the tide came in, it inevitably goes out again...

And, sometimes, it's so far out that you can barely even see it, and you wonder how on Earth it could possibly come all the way back in again...

But it does!

We, ourselves, are like little boats bobbing in the tide...if you try to go against it it will be hard work, but if you go with it the ride will be much smoother...

Motivation is an indicator of what the mind needs. If motivation wanes, it's because we actually need a break...forcing ourselves to resist a drop in motivation results in things becoming a chore, and that only decreases the motivation even more...

The Temple is many things...a place of study. A place of training. A place of discussion. A place of religion. A place of spirituality. A place of discipline. A place of dedication.

But above all, it is a place of enjoyment. When time spent here ceases to be enjoyable, it's time to go and enjoy something else for a bit...and when that starts to lose its appeal, TOTJO is still here to be re-discovered as the tide comes back in... ;)

Happy one year anniversary Sean - I feel honoured to be walking this path with you, and have done since before our paths intersected in a formal arrangement.

Here's to all the future 'good times' that you (and we) haven't even had yet...

May they always guide you home to this safe harbour as the tide comes in... :)

B.Div | OCP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wescli Wardest,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #102052 by
Many people are like as you described... but it is just wonderful that after the initial passion you have managed to hold interest and enjoyment!

I have gotten over those sorts of stages before, sometimes going away for a bit and being very unenthusiastic, but I find the best way is simply not to overdo it all... me writing this here is proof of that! haha

A bright flame burns twice as quickly... burns before new fuel can be fed to it...

Take things slow, take them calmly and you will fall in love,, not with the excitement, but with whatever dep underlying cause is creating it... :)

P.S. I am sorry the FaQ has been re-written after you read it several times! :D

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #102060 by
Many people's first year here is bumpy because there is a learning curve. Real philosophical changes and sacrifices. Being a warrior of peace?! That's a huge call. Very intimidating. I remember my first year in the Jedi community ten years ago. It was so much to take in.

Honestly? Ten years later? I feel like I know even less than when I was going in! hahah.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 1 month ago #102137 by RyuJin
;) so when are we going to get that first date dinner and movie?

Congratulations on your first year, may many more be in your future

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ,

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #102154 by
I'm excited to read this, because I know when somebody is this enthusiastic and passionate, they will become something of importance here, you shouldn't doubt you will become a knight, not only that but I think you will serve to inspire many people and teach even more, just from reading this.

May the force be with you.

You have my respect and admiration, Sean.

peace be upon you :) :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #102193 by
It's already been said, but I agree that what you wrote was very lovely. :) And I'm always amazed at how open and honest you are with everyone. It's awesome, and I hope your future years are even better than your first.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi