Windows 7

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26410 by
Windows 7 was created by
Just out of curiosity - how many of you have or plan to 'obtain' windows 7 ?

If you have it already - whats it like - what do you like or otherwise about it - how does it rate against 'other' versions of windows?

I posted this topic here as basically - this is the free for all section (within reason) - and no I dont plan on using v7 - vista sucks (my laptop is double the pc power of another in the house - but vista makes it run at half the speed of the old clunker running xp)

I'll be keeping to xp for the foreseeable :D

MTFBWY - A

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
14 years 6 months ago #26412 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re:Windows 7
kana windows 7 is still vista but they made it run more efficiently and less resource intensive...if your running vista go into the startup menu and disable everything except your antivirus/security software that should speed things up for you...i'm running vista 64bit on my laptop(a gaming rig)and it runs smooth and fast for me...the only software i've had crash was autocad 2009 but it crashes on xp as well...of course i have 4gigs of ram and my processor is a 7683 running at close to 4ghz(3.86)....it cost a bundle but i needed the power for running autocad(a 3dmodeling/drafting program)

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26430 by
Replied by on topic Re:Windows 7
as a micro engineer (hardware design etc) im aware ofg whats needed for cad operations (ive designed and built cad servers in the past)

For my use now - tbh - windows 95 would surfice :D but what annoys me about windows and now increasingly the internet is this - as machines get more powerful and faster - people (software writers) dump more crud on our machines, slowing them down again.

Imagine how fast most our pcs would be running software based on w98 and the net wasnt full of background music and rolling advert movies - vista foir me was an excuse to make a pretty looking interface (which it is) at the actual expense of performance. If W7 is vista with stuff disabled - i'll still stick to xp :D

cheers for the 'inside' info tho - better than a microsoft review :D

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
14 years 6 months ago #26433 by RyuJin
:laugh: np...i looked into it when i got an email from my laptop manufacturer offering free uprgrade to win7....i liked xp after i got use to it...unfortunately most software developers are now discontinuing xp compatability....my favorite o/s was 98 second edition....of course any gui o/s is better then dos :laugh:
i have a friend that runs 4 different o/s's on his laptop...his main o/s is crunchbang linux but he also uses xp, vista, and he just got win7....
gotta admit though since microsoft doesn't make any pc's and their o/s has to run on pretty much what ever hardware people piece together it does pretty good...the only reason mac o/s is so much more stable is that it's made for mac hardware

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26435 by
thats actually a very true point (ie no 2 pc are the same) and I suppose i, as guilty of it as anyone - but this is something people tend to forget when they maon about pc games not working smoothly

but here is a thought - instead of shooting at Microsoft/Bill Gates all the time - why dont pc hardware manufacturers start 'standardising' to some degree ? 99% of the chips etc are actually made in the same set of factories (in malaysia) and simply rebranded anyway.

Look at it this way - the motor industry is more or less standardised (engines work in the same way ie all diesels work inthe same manner, same for petrol etc) so why cant pc's do the same.

Im in the market for a new pc - and am seriously thinking about one of those macs that also has windows (forgotten the name of them now) - but anyway - more thoughts on windy 7 would be appreciated ;)

Oh and my final note - everyones pc would run much faster if it wasnt for the annoying individuals who insist on writing viruses etc and thus the necessity for such software (and now ive opened another can of worms on the conspiracy theory of virus :D) - why cant all the isp's have firewalls to protect the customers so the customers dont have to slow down their machines with that sort of thing as well.

Ho hum - life was so much easier without computers :D

MTFBWY - A

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
14 years 6 months ago #26439 by RyuJin
if they standardized all the pc hardware how would they milk us for more money:laugh:
check out the ASUS pc's/laptops...asus has been making motherboards for a very long time now they're making pc's & laptops and they're rock solid machines :lol:
they're a bit more expensive then a standard system but cheaper then the hp blackbirds or alienware,and just as powerful(for the most part)
my theory on viruses is that they're all written by some angry little mac users that have nothing better to do, i have that thoery since nearly all viruses are aimed at pc's to date i can only remember 1 virus that affected macs and it was just recently

Quotes:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26452 by
Windows 7 has actually changed quite a bit under the hood, though its look and feel is very close to Vista. It will allow you to use all the power of a quad core, but can be nimble and efficient enough to put on a seven year old IBM T40 laptop that V wouldn’t even succeed running on. I’ve had it running since the Beta tests opened up and I find it to be a very good update. Vista by the way is not on any of my machines at the moment. They are all XP or Ubuntu.

Virus’s are usually against Windows because it is easier to target the 85-90 percent using windows than the 5 or so that are using Mac or the 5 or so that are using Linux. Mac’s commercials touting this fact so blatantly though could change this picture. By coming out with TV spots like that, you basically start setting the stage for someone to start hitting Mac’s for that status that would bring him or her in their social circle.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 years 6 months ago #26453 by
The theories are abunant but the most common ones include the viruses are written by the antivirus companies themselves (to create customers and demand)

My theory is simply bored individuals with nowt beter to do - I cant say ivve never had a virus - but the worst period was about 12 years ago when i had to transfer files to n from the university systems - i had a virus once a week at that point -

anyway - here is a thought - isnt it a shame that these individuals cant seem to find a useful positive use for their talents - whether one wants to admit it or not - there is some skill and itelligence needed to write such 'programs'

Good to see/here some views on windows 7 - as for asus pc - well, i like thir mobos but not their laptops - but each to their own (ive had an asus K8N e-delux mobo for years now and the overclocking i can do with it is brilliant :D and everything remains stable too - admittedly the cooling systems i need to use are verging on industrial - but this isnt a modding forum so i'll stfu :D)

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
14 years 6 months ago #26466 by RyuJin
another theory i had about viruses
bill gates use to be friends with the founder of apple computers,they had a falling out when gates created windows based on the apple o/s at that time. since then microsoft became a software megagiant gates is worth over 65 billion u.s. where as apple nearly went bankrupt and the founder isn't worth nearly as much....so i think it's possible that he is making these viruses himself as a sort of revenge against gates...:laugh:
if they had the guy that made the confikker virus doing antiviruses that would be great since he created a virus that was nearly untraceable and every pc i've seen get it was a paperweight afterwards

Quotes:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi