• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #138355 by
MANURE was created by
Greetings Each

MANURE................................

Manure... An interesting fact
Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.
Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane..

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

You probably did not know the true history of this word.

Neither did I.

I had always thought it was a golf term

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #138358 by
Replied by on topic MANURE
Interesting Mike lol

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 years 3 months ago #138360 by
Greetings Sammy Jay San, Bows

Thank you for that my friend. I just thought it vital should share such knowledge lol

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
10 years 3 months ago #138435 by ren
Replied by ren on topic MANURE
urban legend etymologies are good fun, though some people genuinely believe them to be true!

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steamboat28

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
10 years 3 months ago #138438 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic MANURE
Here's another nautical one:

Berserk/berserker: originated from the term bar sark (bare of shirt)..this was a term used to describe certain viking warriors that gave into their battle lust and would rip their shirts off before entering battle. This act actually gave greater mobility to the warrior and since there was no fabric present any wounds were less likely to become infected since there was less chance of foreign matter being left in the wound...

Scuttlebutt: a term used for discussions of the rumor variety...a scuttlebutt was the tap used on shipboard water supplies...so as you see there have been discussions around "the water cooler" for a good long time

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago - 9 years 7 months ago #163307 by

MikeBudo wrote: Greetings Each

Manure : In the 16th and 17th centuries, everything had to be transported by ship and it was also before the invention of commercial fertilizers, so large shipments of manure were quite common.

It was shipped dry, because in dry form it weighed a lot less than when wet, but once water (at sea) hit it, not only did it become heavier, but the process of fermentation began again, of which a by product is methane gas of course. As the stuff was stored below decks in bundles you can see what could (and did) happen.
Methane began to build up below decks and the first time someone came below at night with a lantern, BOOOOM!

Several ships were destroyed in this manner before it was determined just what was happening

After that, the bundles of manure were always stamped with the instruction ' Stow high in transit ' on them, which meant for the sailors to stow it high enough off the lower decks so that any water that came into the hold would not touch this volatile cargo and start the production of methane..

Thus evolved the term ' S.H.I.T ' , (Stow High In Transit) which has come down through the centuries and is in use to this very day.

Neither did I.

Bump I just thought this was fun to read. I'll never think of S.H.I.T the same now. :laugh: :)

Have a nice day/week.
Last edit: 9 years 7 months ago by .

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
9 years 7 months ago #163321 by

MikeBudo wrote: Greetings Each

Neither did I.

Wow, I never knew that. Thank you for that enlightening story. :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi