Can anyone help me?

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #97857 by
Can anyone help me? was created by
Today my grandmother was diagnosed with emphysema. If anyone here can tell me what to expect would help me a lot. I need first hand accounts, not some websites that somebody wrote.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #97860 by
Replied by on topic Re: Can anyone help me?

ferreire580 wrote: Today my grandmother was diagnosed with emphysema. If anyone here can tell me what to expect would help me a lot. I need first hand accounts, not some websites that somebody wrote.

I would have a look at any hospital/support groups that might be in your area. Failing that there might be some support available from your doctor. They might be willing to spend some time and go through the process with you (a doctor will doubtlessly do this with your grandmother) :)

I wouldn't discount websites though... we are just another website that was written by somebody... you may find valuable help there

I hope things will go ok for your grandmother and your family :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #97862 by
I lost a very good friend of mine at work almost three years ago due to emphysema and complications that arose from it. He died only about a year after being diagnosed. He kind of just gave up. He was 42.

But he was not one to take the best care of his health and his attitude was just as big a culprit as the disease itself.

There are many stories of people living for years after the diagnosis, so my friend's example is kind of a worse-case scenario. Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk about it some more.

I wish you and your family well.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #97863 by

Learn_To_Know wrote: I lost a very good friend of mine at work almost three years ago due to emphysema and complications that arose from it. He died only about a year after being diagnosed. He kind of just gave up. He was 42.

But he was not one to take the best care of his health and his attitude was just as big a culprit as the disease itself.

There are many stories of people living for years after the diagnosis, so my friend's example is kind of a worse-case scenario. Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk about it some more.

I wish you and your family well.

My grandmothers situation is not much better. She's 67, has been smoking for 55 years, has been working two jobs every day for 30 years 12 hours a day. Doesn't have a good diet and barely takes care of herself. I've tried so many times to keep better care of herself, but she brushes away my help and advice saying she's completely fine. She still intends to work the same hours, smoke and basically do everything ahe did before the diagnosis. I just don't know what to do.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #97888 by
If she keeps saying she's fine and has a good attitude about her situation, who's to say whe won't be around for several more years?

My friend got seriously depressed about it and began boozing it up in addition to his smoking habit. He basically became a functioning alchoholic.

The best advice I could give you is to be there for your grandmother, love her, and be supportive of how she chooses to continue on her path. She may change her mind later. If she does, still be there for her and help her as she transitions.

I was there soon before my friend passed and I knew his fear left him just seeing the support of the people around him at his bedside. He calmed down and went peacefully.

It's a tough time, but can also be a peaceful time; a time to forge the deepest of bonds that even death can't break.

MTFBWY,
LTK

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #97891 by
My mother smoked 2 packs a day for 50 years, gave it up in 1 week thanks to chantix... Good luck!!!

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 1 month ago #97918 by
It's tough. All I cn do is offer my best thouhts of health and comfort.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi