Diabetic Help

More
11 years 2 months ago #95159 by Damion_Storm
Diabetic Help was created by Damion_Storm
Greetings friends, today i have decided to start my breakfast by swallowing a large helping of pride. I have decided that I am sick and tired of feeling the way I do. My pride has stopped me from making this step but, it looks like my pride is going to end up killing me. Most of you know that I am diabetic. I have tried many ways to get it under control even losing 75 pounds. But, I am still losing the fight. I need a lot of help and support from people smarter than me. If you know of anyone that can help me I have set up a special e-mail account just for this: diabetic_robert@hotmail.com

The problems I am facing are:
1) I can no longer afford the cost of medicines each month while I am hoping my doctor can help on this front any information on cheaper alternative would be great (currently on Lantus & Humalog)
2) I seam to have reached a plateau in weight loss and need to drop about 50 more pounds
3) The programs I have found tell me I make "too much money" for assistance so looking for other programs that may help
4) several medical conditions are making it harder for me to get out or exercise more.
5) Time and Money are major roadblocks.
6) I am pretty dumb when it comes to nutrition.

Please help. I am NOT asking for money I need information this is hard to ask but please if you know anyone that can help have them contact me here or at the new email: diabetic_robert@hotmail.com

Rev. Robert Cannon OCP
Bishop of TotJO
Master Knight of Jediism
B.Div

Active Apprentices: None
Former Apprentices: Cynthia, Alexandre Orion, Reliah, Archon
The following user(s) said Thank You: ren

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 years 2 months ago #95203 by PatrickB
Replied by PatrickB on topic Re: Diabetic Help
councillor I wrote for you a programme to get well I suggest that you buy some weight for your home and create a home gym and a storm for you and install a training ball and 5 10 15 20 30 all the weight you can carry to train . And elastics or wallmart machine that are cheap but good quality . If you want to known my programme it is at the end of my Patrick journal .And peace

The one that posses with a devices is responsible for others . Being at large is brought too my attention . An armor is the key to unarm devices .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #95204 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: patrick journal
Give me a few days and I'll have some info and tips, my mom is diabetic, and so was my stepdad...the weight loss...I'll be able to help with as well but it'll take some time for me to type it all up...and to do that I'll have to be on my laptop...

I'll try to include some meal plans and recipes to help...

In the navy I was my departments fitness coordinator, I had to make sure everyone could pass the biannual fitness test, which required having to know exercise and nutrition...

Could an admin move this to the correct thread...sorry

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by RyuJin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PatrickB

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
11 years 2 months ago #95205 by RyuJin
Replied by RyuJin on topic Re: Diabetic Help
I replied to this in the wrong thread, if possible can an admin move the reply from patrick's journal to here and remove this post afterwards?...sorry for the trouble...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
11 years 2 months ago #95215 by Jestor
Replied by Jestor on topic Re: Diabetic Help

RyuJin wrote: I replied to this in the wrong thread, if possible can an admin move the reply from patrick's journal to here and remove this post afterwards?...sorry for the trouble...

Done...:)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

More
11 years 2 months ago #95222 by Br. John
Replied by Br. John on topic Re: Diabetic Help
Cinnamon lowers blood sugar. It lowered my A1C a great deal.

See: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/cinnamon-diabetes-_b_839487.html

Founder of The Order

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
11 years 2 months ago #95228 by RyuJin
Cinnamon also triggers your metabolism to burn faster improving weight loss..it's kind of a miracle spice

One good trick is to spray a pan with canola cooking spray, spread a single layer of sweet potato fries, and bake them in the oven, then sprinkle them with cinnamon....I got that tip from a dietician...

I use canola cooking spray for almost everything that asks for oil...when oil is unnavoidable I use canola since it's the healthiest...occassionally I use extra virgin olive oil...

I'm typing up more on the laptop and will post it once completed...the phone is a hassle to use in terms of speed and accuracy...

Quotes:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #95406 by
Replied by on topic Re: Diabetic Help
I am not qualified to give medical advice, but I would like to share a story.

Also I don't mean to sound like an advertisement, just sending some links for people with their research on this.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Polyphenols+in+cinnamon+mimic+insulin.-a0116528801

Polyphenols in cinnamon mimic insulin.

My uncle is type II diabetic.

He has changed his diet, he eats no potatoes, no grains, no breads, no pasta.

He eats lean meats, lots of cholesterol free egg substitute, and vegetables, and lots of lentil soups, and salads, and nuts.

He also limits his fruit intake to berries and melons and has no juice.

He drinks mostly green tea instead of water.

Every single time he eats (ANYTHING), he takes 2000mg of a special Ceylon cinnamon.

Hey also takes green tea extract 1000mg twice a day.

He no longer needs to use medicine to control his diabetes as a result of his change in diet and use of cinnamon, and he does check his blood sugar often.

He also uses erythritol as his only sweetener, it is natural and tastes exactly like sugar, but doesn't raise blood sugar levels.

http://www.amazon.com/Zsweet-Natural-Calorie-Sweetener-1-5-Pound/dp/B001EO6FPU/

Some more information on Cinnamon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamomum_verum

Cinnamomum verum, called "true cinnamon", Ceylon cinnamon or Sri Lanka cinnamon

Ceylon (aka true cinnamon) cinnamon is very important because it does not contain large amounts of Coumarin which causes damage to the liver and kidneys.

Most cinnamon on the market is a different plant and not true cinnamon.

It is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamomum_cassia

Cassia cinnamon contains dangerous levels of coumarin.

Solaray is the only company I know of at the moment that sells Cinnamomum verum capsules.

http://www.vitacost.com/solaray-cinnamon-bark-500-mg-60-vegetarian-capsules-1/

http://www.amazon.com/Solaray-Cinnamon-Bark-500-Capsules/dp/B000FH1304/

You can also buy bulk organic Cinnamomum verum and cap your own with a machine and empty capsules if so inclined.

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Powdered-Ceylon-Cinnamon-453/dp/B00416T8Q6/

http://www.amazon.com/Cap-M-Quik-Tamper-Capsule-Filling-Machine/dp/B0055UT4DY/

http://www.amazon.com/bulk-wholesale-Empty-Gelatin-Capsules/dp/B00428B6X6/

Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by .

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
11 years 2 months ago #95584 by RyuJin
For diabetic medications, have you or your doctor looked into rightsource pharmacy? My mom gets all her diabetic supplies from them delivered every few months...she has insulin but never needs to take it, they also provide the syringes,etc...

Quotes:

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
More
11 years 2 months ago #95959 by RyuJin
sorry it took longer than planned, but here's what i typed up...

the meal plan can be modified for medical needs...

Avoid anything with artificial sweeteners, they’ve been shown to cause type 2 diabetes. If you need sweeteners, use natural ones in limited amounts.

Instead of eating 3 meals a day, eat 5-6 small meals a day…I’ll provide an example as soon as I get it typed up. By eating smaller amounts more frequently you keep the metabolism burning at a constant rate, if you eat infrequently your body goes into survival mode and stores more food as fat/sugars for later use instead of burning them…it’s like a fire, if you throw a big log on(eat 3 typical sized meals), it will burn very slowly. But if you continually throw on smaller logs (eat 5-6 small meals), it will burn very quickly.

Cook meats on a rack (this allows the fat to drip out), get lean cuts, don’t leave out a food group, instead cut down on serving sizes. Any diet that demands omitting a food group is unhealthy as the body needs fat, protein, carbohydrates. it’s the ratios that matter. Low fat, high protein, the right balance of carbs (slow burning vs. fast burning).

To avoid “hitting the wall” in a workout routine, change it up every 3 weeks. If you do the same routine constantly your body becomes accustomed to it and the routine becomes less effective. By changing it up you “shock” your muscles. To burn more calories do low weight at high reps, also 30-45mins of any cardio this includes walking on a treadmill, any less than 30mins is ineffective and any more than 45mins reduces effectiveness.

I’ll have more for you in a few days, it’s almost 2am now and I couldn’t let myself sleep without at least typing up this small bit of info…I’ll type up a meal plan example and workout example over the next few days for you.

Sample meal plan
Breakfast:
1 bowl cereal (raisin bran, shredded wheat, etc), oatmeal, or grits. With 1 8oz glass 100% fruit juice (orange, apple, pineapple, grapefruit,etc). 1 piece of fruit (apple, banana, grapefruit, etc)
Alternatives: 2 eggs w/ hashbrowns (cooked w/ cooking spray) 2 pieces bacon (can be turkey bacon) 2 pieces wholegrain/multigrain toast.
Yogurt, cottage cheese, bagels

Meal 2/snack 1:
A piece of fruit and yogurt.
Alternatives: 2 granola bars, cottage cheese w/ fruit, protein bar.

Lunch/meal 3:
Sandwich w/ 1 piece of fruit.
Alternatives: sandwich w/ multigrain chips/crackers

Meal 4 snack2:
Multigrain chips/crackers, 1 piece of fruit
Alternatives: granola bars, protein bar

Dinner/ meal 5:
4oz meat (fish, poultry, etc), 1 serving vegetables, 1 serving potato/rice

Late snack(not to be eaten within 1hour of sleeping)
1 piece of fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese, or frozen yogurt.

This is an example(a very small example) of the things I ate and in the past 14months I’ve lost 40 pounds with minimal exercise, I did it to prove my point to certain family members, that point being that you don’t need to omit foods, or food groups to lose weight. The most important thing you need is the determination to do so.

You want the majority to be protein, but you also need a blend of slow(breads and grains) and fast(sugars) burning carbs to keep your metabolism going. Being diabetic you’ll need to keep the sugars lower than I did. That means the fruit, granola bars, yogurt, etc may need to be swapped with something else…or at the very least they need to be low sugar.
Now, for the meats I cooked all of them on a rack(except for fried chicken, which was flash fried for 15mins in canola oil then placed on a rack and put in the oven at 450 for 30-45mins depending on amount). When frying anything I use canola oil, when cooking anything else I use canola cooking spray.

i was going to upload a sample workout, but can't seem to find the file at the moment...i'll have to do it later...

Quotes:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi