Autism

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #93707 by
Autism was created by
Autism
In my town there was an act of horrific inhumanity a couple of days ago, a young autistic man was severely taken advantage of, he had his drink urinated in, fed cat food, oil (cooking oil) and made to eat a whole packet of Anti Pregnancy contraceptives, he is a lovely kid who wanted nothing more than to make friends and be liked.

So if you know anyone with Autism please do not allow them to be so horrifically bullied, offer them some time of your day, just talk to them. It is absolutely disgusting what has happened and it has made me lose faith in humanity and gain it too. (The people in my town have come together to defend him)
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by .

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #93828 by
Replied by on topic Re: Autism
Wow. How can people be so cruel? It's too bad too, beacuse if those people just took the time to talk with that kid they'd see how genuine and nice he probably is. They'd probably learn a lot from him too.

More
11 years 3 months ago #93833 by Gisteron
Replied by Gisteron on topic Re: Autism

Wendaline wrote: Wow. How can people be so cruel? It's too bad too, beacuse if those people just took the time to talk with that kid they'd see how genuine and nice he probably is. They'd probably learn a lot from him too.

I doubt that. Thing about autists is, that they partially or entirely lack every capacity to engage in social interaction. They may be very nice people. The reason bullying like this can happen is both, that they are not understood but also that they do not understand. It may be tough to grasp that their way of thinking and experiencing the world and especially emotions is totally different from what we use to call ordinary. Social relations between 'ordinary' people and autists are extremely rare and difficult enough to be impossible to engage or maintain in a majority of cases.
However, it is not that autists are any lesser people. They rarely have any relationships with each other, too, and most don't suffer from it at all, since the way their mind functions, what they expect from a relationship is very different and what ordinary people understand by one is often something an autist simply doesn't need.
I had to research into this, because suffering from Asperger's syndrome I had literally to learn the way 'ordinary' people function from scratch and while I still do not understand or feel with it, I could at least learn to know what to expect and how to react 'appropriately' and thus function in a human society. Unfortunately, autists often do not have the flexibility to adapt like that. I bet, if they could, they might be very pleasant people, because one who has to learn it consciously rather than getting it with the mother's milk, often has quite a detailed understanding of the matter.

Better to leave questions unanswered than answers unquestioned
The following user(s) said Thank You:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #93845 by

Gisteron wrote: I doubt that. Thing about autists is, that they partially or entirely lack every capacity to engage in social interaction.

This, I do not fully agree with. Some artists are this way, yes, but there are many others who aren't.

I have a little cousin who's autistic. He has friends and is able to keep relationships with people despite it. He is socially awkward, but he can still interact in a way that he can be friends with people.

My best friend's brother is autistic. He's the cutest little boy you could ever meet. Like my cousin, he is socially awkward at times. He has moments where he doesn't want to talk to anyone, or where he'll get really upset. But, even through it, he has friends. His friends come over basically every other day and play video games, watch movies, and hang out with him.

So, don't go putting a stereotype on ALL autistics. Although it is difficult at times, it is not impossible. People with autism can be just as social as those without.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 3 months ago #93846 by
It's all about how high up on the spectrum they are...

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi