? for those already doing martial arts

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64871 by
Hi everyone!!
This question is for those who have done martial arts either from workout videos or in a class or both.
I really want to learn but don't have the money to do so(money for the class or the commute as I live in the boonies :P ) There is a program on OnDemand and also some videos on YouTube that I have found.
So my question is this: Should I go ahead and learn from the OnDemand program and YouTube or wait until I have the money to take the class?
Did you learn from videos or in a class? Or both?
I do realize that in a class with a live teacher really is better since they can correct you and such, but I just can't decide if I should start now with the videos or wait until I have the money....
Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated!! :laugh:

May The Force Be With You

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64891 by
Learning over the Internet is possible, see if you can set up a SKPE session or video conference from your home and be corrected by instructor. We use SKPE to go over new techniques from our Sifu who is in Hawaii and it works. . Technology can serve you given your circumstances.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64893 by
I realize that money might be an issue, but I highly recommend you to wait for classes with a live teacher. Until then you could read some books about your chosen martial art and try some basics.

It's kind of impossible to learn well from videos. Every now and then I learn a new kata from youtube and when we do this kata in classes for the first time, it always turns out to have a lot of these tiny, very important details that I didn't notice on the video. You're also unable to tell what kind of mistakes you're doing when you don't know what to look for.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64898 by
I've tried to teach myself modern Wushu Kung Fu from Youtube. Having done Martial Arts for about 18 years I thought teaching myself would be easy. . .but it's not.

The point of Martial Arts to learn to defend yourself and if you have no one to practice with, you wont know if what you're learning is actually effective. So I would save up and get involved with classes.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64901 by
this is just my opinion, and i am not as experienced as most here, i dont think. but i think that learning anything about your combat form is better than learning nothing. by that i mean, watch the videos, but dont put a ton of weight on them. an actual experienced instructor would indeed be superior.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #64904 by

Amayilia wrote: Hi everyone!!
This question is for those who have done martial arts either from workout videos or in a class or both.
I really want to learn but don't have the money to do so(money for the class or the commute as I live in the boonies :P ) There is a program on OnDemand and also some videos on YouTube that I have found.
So my question is this: Should I go ahead and learn from the OnDemand program and YouTube or wait until I have the money to take the class?
Did you learn from videos or in a class? Or both?
I do realize that in a class with a live teacher really is better since they can correct you and such, but I just can't decide if I should start now with the videos or wait until I have the money....
Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated!! :laugh:

May The Force Be With You

In my opinion it is highly unlikely for most people to learn a real martial art program online. Simply because there is no one with you to help correct you when you make mistakes. However that is simply one jedi's point of view.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #65062 by
Thank you all for your insight. I do believe I will wait until I can learn from a live teacher :laugh:
I actually finally found one close by!! :P I now am glad I live where I do to the state line. This teacher is waaay close-like 4.6 miles so I can ride my bike there. :) I've already contacted the instructor. However I don't have the $150 for the lessons..... Yet..... This particular place only does privet lessons. Which I don't mind, a friend of mine might join me when I can start :laugh:

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 10 months ago #65064 by
It's a shame you don't live in England; my teacher charges 4 English pounds (about 6 dollars?) per lesson, which is 2 hours long, and sometimes goes overtime 'cause he loves his job so much. Also, if you have no money he tells you to come anyway, 'cause he's a brilliant guy.

Since I moved to Japan last September, I've been studying alone, relying on my teacher's videos on his Facebook to ensure I don't get rusty. It's definitely useful for remembering the basics, but naturally mistakes can be made. If you have a friend willing to practice with you, going through video lessons together can do a lot more good, because you can sometimes feel what you're doing wrong, and then help each other to figure it out.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 9 months ago #66990 by
It is not impossible to learn martial arts from books and videos, but it is a long and tedious process. You have to take a technique and then figure out if it works or not via sparring or fighting. At that point, misconceptions or techniques that don't work will become "painfully" obvious. haha

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 5 months ago #78777 by
I don't see any reason why you can't start learning the basics straight away, working on simple striking techniques, basic block techniques, foot work & stance etc....
but if your gonna start learning from the internet, look for a section for comments on whatever site your on to check what others are saying about the person teaching!!
obviously training with a live person is more beneficial because sparring is the best way to learn how to apply what your learning (Kinda helps to have a real person for this) but from my experience no respected martial arts instructor would put you in a sparring situation without teaching you at least the basics first :)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi