Physical Readuness Training

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #60096 by
Getting in shape and staying in shape is the goal of most people these days and is one thing a Jedi should do. For body I try to stay away from heavy weight lifting using it at it vary little and only using enough weight to make it harder. What I have found that works well is P.R.T. or Physical Readiness Training (Google to find more info). It has all sorts of exercise that focus on different parts of the body giving you a good overall work out. So you body does not become stiff if I may suggest yoga, there is a different type of yoga out there for every one. It keeps our core strong and body at balance.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #60121 by
Replied by on topic Re: Physical Readuness Training
"Jedi understand that physical training is as important as training the mind and the spirit. We understand that all aspects of training are necessary to maintain the Jedi way of life and to perform the duties of a Jedi." (One of Our 16 teachings)

Boesen, welcome to the Temple. Great to hear you are keeping your body atuned through a physical fitness expression. Looks like you're heading the right direction...

May The Force Be with You

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #60209 by
PRT is the official training program of the US Army now, unfortunately I can not vouch for it's effectiveness since so many people are clinging to the old model of "Run more = Be in shape." It looks like it might be a fairly decent program, however at the same time I believe it's a few years behind the power curve on tactical fitness programs. Will it get you in shape? Probably, it seems pretty sound. Is it that most effecient way to get in shape? Definitely not, progression and resistance are too slow. I may be totally wrong, but that's been my experience with it thus far.
However, it is lightyears better than the average person's "Sit on the couch in front of the TV" regime. Doing any form of exercise is better than no exercise.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #60397 by
All I gotta say, when you do P.R.T do more than what is just required by Army regs, the regulations really reduce the workouts to nothing more than a maintainance regimen. If you want to expand your capabilities it would be best to create or adopt a regimen that suits you, just don't over work yourself, too much running can really damage your knees and hips, seen too many soldiers get motivated for running and develop stress fractures in their hip joints.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #60562 by
I agree fully with Jerriko, and look into an actual running method. The army doesn't cover much on a proper running form, but the wrong form can just as easily damage you as too much running. I've known soldiers that have lifelong skeletal problems now from a few years of running without training. The old saying of "One foot in front of the other" doesn't quite cut it. I prefer the Pose method, I also like to run in minimalist shoes, but that's just me. What's more important is finding an ergonomic style that fits your body.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 years 11 months ago #61047 by
Not to bag or hate but when the exercises are done correctly and at the right pace than can be vary effective. PRT as all sorts of work out routines and exercise to shape and tone the core. It is not all about running, but like I said you haft to do it correctly or you will get little results. One of the best ways to get into shape that is proven all over is the slow and steady method no matter what you do.

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
11 years 11 months ago #61077 by RyuJin
Being from a military oriented family (many generations worth) and being ex military myself, I agree that most of the exercises (during boot camp) when done properly will get you into great shape in minimal time, afterwards though its best to switch to a "mainainence" style routine otherwise you run the risk of injury...it is true that you only improve when you push your limits, but pushing your limits also increases your chance of injury...

Really any routine with time will yield results...ideally though you should live a healthy lifestyle from the start...but hey who can resist pizza and a good movie all the time...

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi