Transcendental Meditation with Jedi Training

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #55766 by
I was just wondering if anyone thinks this is a good idea.

For those who don't know, Transcendental Meditation is one of the simplest types of mediation specifically for stress reduction, clarity of mind, and discipline. I've watched a few TM videos, and they basically just sit cross legged, close their eyes, and stay still. I've tried something like TM, without specific instructions yet, and have already started to feel a little better.

Plus, isn't meditation a part of a Jedi's life? What do you think about combining TM and Jedi Training?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #55767 by
I think that sounds great! Makes perfect sense too. I read some of the other Knight's and Master's threads and they speak of meditating, but I don't know if they have a specific way of doing it or just deep thinking. I am going to look into TM now, thanks for the post. :)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 weeks ago #55769 by
Meditation is up to each individual. All of us here on TOTJO have our own special way. There are several threads throughout the forums discussing meditation. It's not a requirement to meditate (hence why it is not in the Initiate's Program) but it is highly encouraged (as is physical exercise).

Personally, TM doesn't do much for me. I find that I need either music or binaural beats (sometimes the two combined) to aid me in meditation. At least if I want to go into a deep meditative state. I guess I would be doing TM when i'm just clearing my head or getting ready for the day. Before I walk into work, I sit in my car for five minutes and just close my eyes, breathe slowly and think about the things I want to get done and clear my mind of the things going on in my personal life. On my lunch, I do the same thing while getting rid of the things going through my mind that were irrelevant.

I've never actually crossed my legs before. I'm usually just sitting in my chair or on my bed leaned back against the wall, legs stretched out.

But anyway, yes, meditation is highly encouraged here. The studies are more for opening your eyes and broadening your mind, getting you to think critically about everything around you (getting rid of ignorance). To me, at least, that's the main purpose of the studies here. Everything else like meditation, physical fitness and martial arts are all the extra goodies for you to do whenever you feel the need to do them. And there are people here knowledgeable in all areas who are always willing to help and give advice.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 weeks ago #55783 by
Meditation for me is one of the best ways to get a quietened mind. There is one thing to be careful with though, I was warned by my former mentor as an Epileptic, I needed to be careful with TM because in some cases it has been known to induce seizures. After some reading up, it seems the medical community is divided on the issue. I asked my own doctor who said it is a matter of personal choice...they couldn't recommend it, but they said it may even help. Just be aware if you have ever had seizures in the past.

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 weeks ago #55831 by
Thank you, fellow Jedi, for your insights on this topic.

I want to point something out about a TM school that made me very upset. I'd like your opinion on the matter, and a "yes, I should", or "no, I shouldn't". Here's what happened.

As mentioned, a few days ago I learned about Transcendental Meditation, and was really eager to learn about it. I still am very eager to learn about it, but something happened that shook me up. You see, I called a Transcendental Meditation School, a local Hawaii class, and asked about classes. The lady on the phone was very sweet and reiterated all of the benefits of TM - inspiring me even more. Our conversation ended when she said she'd look for an existing class and see if I could be scheduled during a time that worked for me. This was a great offer, so I thanked her and hung up.

This afternoon, my parents came home and told me they received a phone call from the TM lady. They told me I should not do the activity. Naturally, I asked why, and they told me that the TM lady was asking for $750 for a 4-class session!

I thought that was insane. Ridiculous. TERRIBLE. A RIP-off.

Here I am, an enthusiastic high school student who is looking for a simple and spiritual way to de-stress.
Here is a TM school, that claims that they want to spread the goodness and healing powers of TM.

Then why are they trying to make such a hefty profit???

I could understand if the 4-class session was a total of $50-$75. Heck, if it was 1 or 2 hundred, I'd still be in.
But SEVEN HUNDRED FIFTY DOLLARS? The class doesn't even require any books or supplies. It's just a teacher that sits with you for one and a half hours and hardly talks to you!

I thought that if you're really a school trying to spread something that is purely for goodness and health, that you should do it for the goodness of humanity. Not to make a hefty profit!

What do you think about this situation? Is that TM school wrong for charging so much?

Here's the next question: Should I email the school and politely tell them what I told you here? I don't plan on ranting at all, but I do want to explain that, as a spiritual school, they should do some soul searching and ask themselves if it's really appropriate and morally right to charge $750 to a high school student who has no real job yet.

Would that be the Jedi thing to do? Isn't it our jobs to "advocate for the corrections" of evil and wrong? Or would my actions be out of my own evil, anger and anti-Jedi principles?

I will wait till this weekend, Sunday, before I make a final decision. In the meantime, I ask that my fellow Jedi provide their insights on this matter.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #55832 by Adder
It just might not be the right place for you. Companies sometimes are set up to offer a specific type of product, and at that cost it sounds like to me it might be designed for the corporate crowd, especially being in Hawaii. If thats the case then it might be a specific business model that they have to stick too to earn a living, rather then a religious spirituality which a lot of the time runs cashflow neutral or negative for altruistic reasons.

If I was going to pay that much money to have access to professionals in anything - then I'd already want to know a heap about the subject and be well practised so I could get my money's worth from it.

I dont think they are doing anything wrong, but I'd certainly consider asking if they have any no obligation free introductory classes. The real test will be if such an introductory class is an introduction to TM (useful) or an introduction to their course (sales pitch)!!!

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 weeks ago #55837 by
I would stay away from original I was you. On the community sites you can always find those willing to share meditation methods with you, there are probably loads here somewhere...I know we have 3 or 4 at our site. Paying that much is just cashing in in my opinion.

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #56053 by Adder
Yes there is lots of different ways to meditate. I saw some words on a similar programs website which I've adjusted slightly into some generic guidance here if it helps;

Through meditation we find our minds focusing on objects, sounds and sensations, but this is a result of the increase in our power of concentration. So it should not serve to distract but instead serve to highlite your progress. It is a good sign that through observing our mental and vital functions we gain increasing awareness, and through relaxing the mind further we remove stress. Similarly, expanding our concept of the Force expands our thinking in general, making us more creative.

Knight ~ introverted extropian, mechatronic neurothealogizing, technogaian buddhist. Likes integration, visualization, elucidation and transformation.
Jou ~ Deg ~ Vlo ~ Sem ~ Mod ~ Med ~ Dis
TM: Grand Master Mark Anjuu

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 weeks ago #56055 by
I would check out the great jedi holocron in the library it has a part that teaches about transcendental meditation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 2 weeks ago #56056 by
I say NO to going to this school. Just like you, I too am looking for classes (but in Reiki) and 3 or 4 days of class is ALWAYS expensive. You can pay less for a semester long college class than you can for a 2-4 day meditation or Reiki class (well, maybe not after you purchase books but you still see the point, lol). I understand that these people need to make money to pay their bills, and the information is indeed valuable...but there's a fine line between ripping people off and making a living.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi