hot meditation

Moderators: Desolous, Reliah

hot meditation 22 Feb 2012 13:15 #51300

I'm curious if anyone else has had this issue, and if anyone can help me with it. I've recently started to be able to drift off into meditative states. However, when I get into a meditative state, I can't stay in it for very long because I begin to get too hot. Sometimes so much that it causes discomfort.

This is fine for when i'm doing Reiki, as the heat helps in the healing process, but for normal meditative state, it's just uncomfortable. Actually, it's like that in my Reiki as well but it takes longer for it to become uncomfortable.

So, is there something i'm doing wrong here? What I can do to not get so hot when meditating? I was getting into a meditative state at work today. A coworker sat down right next to me and asked if I had been outside. I said no and asked why and they said they could feel heat coming off of me.

On one hand, this is great because if I ever get stuck in a snow storm (because...you know...it snows so much in Houston, TX, lol) but i'd really like to be able to meditate for more than 5 minutes without sweating and getting really hot. I thought maybe it was my clothing...so I tried meditating in the buff......same thing. I get tingling sensations, then the heat starts and it just continues.

Anybody have any tips? Thanks in advance.
At first, I thought I was going crazy...but then the gummy bears and unicorn told me I was just fine.

Re: hot meditation 22 Feb 2012 13:40 #51303

First and foremost, I think learning how to focus your Force energy through the centers of your body may help. You may have blockages or too much yang Force energy. Acupuncture is a useful too but bringing your Force energy into your lower dan tien after meditation will help to stop blockages in your Force meridians (like stale pools of murky water).

Re: hot meditation 22 Feb 2012 13:52 #51304

Not something I have experienced personally in meditation.

Over-heating and sweating can be the bodies way of releasing certain toxins and when you meditate your body becomes more in tune so this might be why it occurs then.

I used to get overly hot and sweat quite easily in everyday life but this has stopped since I cut nicotine and caffeine out as both drugs stimulate the body in such a way that can cause it to overheat. I am not sure if you indulge in either of these drugs but cutting them out if you do may help.

MTFBWY

Re: hot meditation 23 Feb 2012 10:35 #51371

I don't smoke (can't even stand around people who are smoking) and I only have one coke a day. No drugs. I am in the middle of changing my diet, which consists of mainly sugary and greasy food. But here is something I discovered.

A.) Perhaps I am trying to force energy into me. Instead of visualizing a white light flowing gently into me through my crown chakra and filling me up, I envisioned a large beam of light surging into me even after I've visualized it filling me up. So it's as if i'm constantly filling myself with energy even i'm i'm already filled up.

B.) Naturally, i'm a pyro. The slightest little spark makes me perk up. I get a natural, soothing feeling around fire, even if it's just a small flame. Perhaps this is contributing, as in the back of my subconscious mind, i'm visualizing fire as it is something that causes me to relax? If this is the case, how do I tell my subconscious to stop visualizing and associating fire with relaxation?

These are just my theories. Theory A would be pretty easy to work out, but theory B, I have no idea how to even begin to reprogram my brain... especially if it is subconscious as I believe.
At first, I thought I was going crazy...but then the gummy bears and unicorn told me I was just fine.
Latest Posts Comments Articles
    • Defining Jedi and Sith (Last post by Tellahane)
    • When a lot of people first hear and approach jediism, it's about being real life jedi, about the philosophy, the way of life, the morals, the beliefs, the force whatever. The further down the rabbit hole I went personally, IN MY OPINION, Jedi-Ism is more about finding a path that works best for you. There are many different ways to believe in jediism its something almost every site teaches but its all about finding your way of doing it. You still follow a general set of rules such as the tenants and so forth but not everyone follows the same code. I certaintly don't. That doesn't make me a terrible Jedi though. I personally like to think of jediism more as a means to the end, then the end itself. That its more about techniques, understanding, and philosophy used as a way for you to figure out more about yourself, who you are, and who you want to be, and a way to discipline and dedicate yourself to becoming that new person, that uses the star wars universe as a way to fill in the gaps of why or how, or just something that best fits the big picture and all of the holes that all religions fill within beliefs. As what will be described IF and WHEN I do another vlog series(which I'm still debating on ever doing again). My biggest point on any jedi code is, not a every day set of rules, but rather the start of the code should be where you are now, and the end of the code should be where you want to be. This is something that you will perpetually be in. There will always be more wisdom to be had, more understanding to be had, more peace to be had etc. When I wrote my personal code I wrote it in this way. I wrote it in a way that as I repeat it every day and believe in it every day that I've laid out the path that I want to use to improve myself, to better myself, and to be better to those around me. I didn't pick it out or put it together because someone else defined it. Why does anyone believe in any set of religious tenants or rules or code if not but to better themselves in some form or another. You can throw a wrapper and a label of these things are jedi and anything else is not but fundamentally the action is the same no matter if its Jedi code, new jedi code, grey jedi code, sith code, dark jedi code, flannel Jedi code. It's all about acknowledging where you are now, where you came from, and laying a path of where you want to be. Which is going to be different even if only ever so slightly to a range of greatly different for everyone. If following a code, or developing your code and then following it, that act, that belief had a name, if the action of improving yourself and following that code had a label on it, that's what I would call being a Jedi, and following in Jediism. That may apply to sith or dark or shadow knights or crystal code or whatever, not trying to say everyone is a Jedi but I'm tired of excluding that anyone is not a Jedi in some form or another as well. I'm really really tired of people excluding other codes as being Jedi as well. We are all doing the same damn thing at the end of the day no matter which one it is fundamentally.
    • Rants far and wide (Last post by Avalonslight)
    • Everything Edit: and tired of screwing everything up / ruining everything. Yes, those are two separate rants.
    • Your Jedi Rituals (Last post by Lleiffermawr)
    • Greetings, As a student of psychology, I understand that many people need ritual to help change their state of consciousness. They may need it to instill a calm and peace that goes deeper than a few breaths and the recitation of the Code. Rituals are as old as time and help not only the individual but the community as a whole. Knowing that there are a few things besides a name and a basic philosophy that holds you together can be very inspiring. Some of the most ancient rituals of course revolve around Rites of Passage, including coming of age. There are sometimes rituals for new beginnings such as Initiations (to start something), or becoming an Elder (whether due to age or due to respect for one's knowledge and wisdom). Sometimes these rituals are to achieve some goal (such as in the case of folk magic or even the rites of the Catholic Church). Rituals can be highly personal, as well as collective. They can help to tap into the Collective Unconsciousness of one's ancestors and even mankind at large. I have a long history in the Current of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, as well as having spent much time working in Wicca and Traditional Witchcraft (Heathenry). I have noticed that the more in depth the ritual, the deeper I go within myself, and I can feel connection with All That Is (the Unifying Living Force) greater than the simple Circle Casting and Invocation I found in my previous Coven. Some people find Rituals to be constricting, and this can indeed happen. While in some ways, I need such, I recognize that this is indeed a crutch, and some day, I will be able to move away from it. I would be very interested in collective based rituals for the Temple of the Jedi Order itself, would help to inspire a sense of community.
    • The Grateful Thread (Last post by Edan)
    • I'm grateful to the previous gentleman for all of his help :) One day I will have felt like I've said it enough times (or maybe not!).
    • Your Jedi Reading List (Last post by MadHatter)
    • To mark International Jedi Day I am going to post my reading list that I have read or is in my to read queue that I feel has helped or will help me on my path. Please feel free to add your own Hatters Reading List * George Washingtons Rules of Civility and Behavior * Open your mind Open your life (Taro Gold) * Essential Zen ( Kazuaki Tanahashi) * Zen Flesh Zen Bones ( Paul Reps) * The Code of the Samuria (Thomas Cleary) * Zen in the Martial Arts ( Joe Hyams) * Striking Thoughts (Bruce Lee) * The Tao of Jeet Jun Do (Bruce Lee) * The Jedi Compass ( Multiple Authors) * Living the Martial Way (Maj. Forrest E. Morgan) * The Jedi Path ( Chronicle Books) * Zen Mind Beginner's Mind ( Shunryu Suzuki) These are listed in no order other then reading off of my bookshelf. I would love to see your own lists and to share thoughts on the merits of anything listed.
    • International Jedi Day - May 25th! (Last post by Snowy Aftermath)
    • Dagon sent me a message as well: 1) Miss_Leah's idea, only with a more flexible time frame for those who wished to pursue larger projects (or people like me who have to work on the holiday). 2) build a kite from scratch and fly it on the holiday, similar to the tradition in Bermuda of doing the same on Easter Sunday. The idea is that we are all doing it together in widely different areas is very unifying (and in my opinion, the whole point of traditions). I love the kite thing... I might do that too :)
    • Boulimia and sugar (Last post by MartaLina)
    • Quote: ...dont quote me but i think we are the only ones who drink other animals milk. i love yochurt ... s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d1/10/...71548a8d29d8b3db.jpg
    • Is belief in democracy required of a Jedi? (RELEVE... (Last post by OB1Shinobi)
    • when you posted this Quote: Democracy and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum you committed this yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-fallacy-fallacy and in the time since youve made that association, you've done nothing to demonstrate that democracy actually IS an ad-populum fallacy, you simply implied it and then moved along to ramble about profit margins but maybe democracy is popular because its better than the alternatives? and maybe people "believe in" it because its the best system we have so far? so at this point you either need to demonstrate that democracy is actually an ad poulum fallacy, which you can only do by explaining how some other system is definitely better or you need to concede that it may not be an ad populum fallacy but im pretty sure i already know how youre going to respond lol and its neither of those
    • Jedi wisdom meme (Last post by MadHatter)
    • This is a meme thread dedicated to wisdom on the Jedi Path. It will seem familiar to those that are frequent visitors to the Temple Facebook page. Ill get us going but I hope to see your Jedi memes on this day dedicated to Jediism and the Path we walk here at the Temple. [attachment] [attachment] [attachment]
    • Why silence is often the best response to a verbal... (Last post by Miss_Leah)
    • Quote: Yes I have reasoned with people who are blindly angry very successfully, and obviously the issue at hand is some have mediation and de-escalation skills to deal with confrontation and conflict, while the skill sets are absent in others. If the word "sometimes" has to be said, the context actually begs the question when there's no specific examples to demonstrate "some of those times". De-escalation is a focus on other angry party that requires acknowledgement of the grievance. However, silence is a means of demonstrating not knowing what to do other than be silent. You're assuming that all people have (or should have) the skillset needed to de-escalate an aggressive situation. While that is certainly ideal, it's not a reasonable expectation. As Jedi, sure, we can strive to learn how to de-escalate verbally. But not everyone has that level of insight. I think the point of the article is to explain that silence is better than engaging if there's a risk to escalate. And for Average Joe, that's a real risk. Silence is the middle road: not as damaging as responding with emotion, but perhaps not as good as having the skill to defuse.
    • Simple Gifts (Last post by Joda Sett)
    • Another breath The way the clouds area set ablaze at sunrise The warmth of my daughter’s lips on my cheek A clear summer night Getting lost in the sea of stars to Holt’s “The Planets” The aroma of an open fire Dogwoods in bloom A rainbow of blossoms in the orchards Fresh honey Crisp autumn air A hayride to the pumpkin patch through a colorful forest The bountiful harvest lay out on the dinner table Dancing flakes, drifting to a blanket of white The piercing winter winds The soft glow of lights on the tree A serene sunset The way the beams glisten upon the distant leaves The softness of my furry companion’s coat against me
    • Jediism Day and a Vow of Silence (Last post by WralaValel)
    • In honour of Jediism Day, I have taken a conditional vow of silence (speaking only when absolutely necessary) in order to maintain a more constant state of mindfulness and to really hear myself, the Force and the others around me. If anyone wants to join me, please, feel free. I am only going to do this for today to start, but feel free to 'pause and listen' as long as you feel the need. Becoming one with the Force is what Jediism is all about, after all :0)

There are 136 visitors, 8 guests and 25 members online (2  in chat): Firewolf, Trisskar, Joe, Adder, PatrickB, Lykeios, Kit, Avalonslight, Jamie Stick, Aqua, FTPC, Lleiffermawr, Atticus509, Adi, Tellahane, Hyrum Tigerprice, fenrir, MadHatter, Braedon2011, Entropist, Jax Styder, Kyrin Wyldstar, Snowy Aftermath, FAT, Ryder, Volk, thomaswfaulkner, Miss_Leah, CableSteele, LiamRevan, Dagon.

Follow Us