Meditation - so easy! NOT!

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46194 by
So ... there's been all sorts of heavy duty discussions - life, death and who gets what and that sort of thing. And this part of the forum is full of chop-socky action advice and frankly, for many of us, hitting other people is going to be a rare thing. How about something a little easier (on the surface, anyway). Meditation!

Sitting there and breathing - it's easy isn't it? Yeah ....

I think that so many people in the west find meditation frustrating because we think it will be easy and, of course, it's not. After all, another word for meditation here in the west is napping!

There's a ton of information about the benefits of meditation; from health to mental mindfulness, it's possibly one of the single best things a person can do for themselves. I wonder if it isn't taught because it's not easy to make a profit on it - unlike drugs!

Anyway, as Jedi, meditation is also one of the basic practices we (should be) doing.

So, who's doing it?

If you do meditate, how long have you been doing so? And how often do you do it?

What sort of meditation do you do? Sitting? Moving? Standing? Dancing? Leaping through the air slaying battle droids like a little green puppet?

How long did it take you to learn to 'do it' well? Do you pause during your day to meditate? What about when you're sad, or angry ... or happy? What sort of changes in yourself have you seen?

Frankly, I'm crappy at meditation. I get uncomfortable if I sit, certainly can't do even a quarter lotus ;) and fall asleep if I lie down.

On the other hand, I do get meditative when I do certain simple, repetitive tasks, like weeding my garden. It's not quite the same thing but it does let me know why those who do it enjoy it so much. This year, I've decided that it's time to get serious about meditating - as someone who deals with chronic pain issues, I would really like another tool in my tool box for dealing with it.

I was thinking we could talk about meditating - what's been working for various people, who's having trouble, and progress on how folks are doing who are still learning.

One of the books on meditation I like is Breath Sweeps Mind, edited by Jean Smith. It's older and an overview of different types of meditation as well as advice on practice from various enlightened folks from different philosophies. I also found website that I can't seem to find now, which is very annoying. I'll keep searching and post when I can.

What sources do you use?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46200 by
Replied by on topic Re: Meditation - so easy! NOT!
I for one meditate every morning (or try to). I get a good 5 to 15mins of it in each day about 4 to 5 times a week. I do kundalini meditation. Its based on chakras. I dont think i've learned it all that well but i used to go every Wednesday to a class for it. Its a pretty simple method. I do use it when i get angry or when i need a brake some times to search for answers. You dont really have to sit in any way for kundalini you just have to line up your spine and be comfortable.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46204 by
I don't meditate regularly. I occasionaly do before bed for 10 minutes or so. And I'v been getting tattooed regularly for the last couple of months and I meditate to control the pain.

Realy need to get into a regular routine of mediation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago - 12 years 4 months ago #46207 by
Well I might even be more crappy at meditation then you tenrec :p

Admitting Ive only been trying it for 2 weeks now...

I have alot of trouble not thinking about 'anything'. Whenever I trie to meditate I always seem to dwell...start to fantasize about things, then thinking 'sh*t I need to focus' and after that toally lose control and start thinking way to much.

I've listened to alan watts meditation, and I know that saying to yourself that 'you shouldnt think of anything' will work counter productive, but still i keep doing it...so yea thats my main issue.

I also like to know how long people been meditating. Has anyone experienced this problem also?
Last edit: 12 years 4 months ago by Jestor. Reason: added the * ;)

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46209 by
I'll try and find that website, I liked it for it's basic, process oriented information. And it wasn't trying to sell stuff (not much, anyway).

Knarf wrote: Well I might even be more crappy at meditation then you tenrec :p

Admitting Ive only been trying it for 2 weeks now...

I have alot of trouble not thinking about 'anything'. Whenever I trie to meditate I always seem to dwell...start to fantasize about things, then thinking 'shit I need to focus' and after that toally lose control and start thinking way to much.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46210 by
Well, I have an opinion.. I think it gets easier the more you practice it.. The problem is.. Our society is so overstimulated with the technology, TV (advertisements), Crowds, Traffic, Work, Coffee, and any of the vices we may have. It's really not the easiest thing in the world.. Yet, meditation and breathing.. and doing different types of meditation and breathing is our defense against ALL that.. Our dreams are our last line of defense against it, as well.. The real task is practice and practicing different types as well. I have a few blogs in what hopefully will be a series of blogs that are focusing on different types of spiritual practice.. sometimes just sitting isn't the answer. There's moving meditation as well. That's something I hope to get into later, but I believe the meditative state (or the Force mindful state) is for all modes of life.. Running, walking, sitting, driving, thinking, dreaming, and rrrrrrromancing!! Yeah, that's right! I said it!

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 4 months ago #46214 by Jestor

I have alot of trouble not thinking about 'anything'. Whenever I trie to meditate I always seem to dwell...start to fantasize about things, then thinking 'sh*t I need to focus' and after that toally lose control and start thinking way to much.

If I remember correctly, meditation is not the "empty mind"...

According to www.dictionary.com:

med·i·ta·tion
- noun
1. act of contemplating
2. continued or extended thought; reflection; contemplation
3. technique, based on ancient Hindu writings, using regular periods of contemplation during which a mantra is repeated
4. devout religious contemplation or spiritual introspection

... so contemplation is....

Con·tem·pla·tion
- noun
1. the act of contemplating; thoughtful observation
2. full or deep consideration; reflection
3. purpose or intention
4. prospect or expectation

It is purposeful thinking....

You want to understand something, life, your 'special purpose', why is a rose called a rose...

You think, and think, and think... other thoughts cross your mind... That's ok... Cause if a bear or mountain lion is sneaking up behind me, I want to be able to hear it...

The point isn't blanking your mind, so far as I can best figure it...

Even chanting, you are filling you mind with the chant...

That's why mom and dad said to shut my mouth and listen... Think about ______ (whatever...)...

I've been meditating, on meditation now for about three or four months...

I think I opened a wormhole or something...:woohoo:

This is what I've come up with.... And is my opinion... ;)

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 4 months ago #46215 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Meditation - so easy! NOT!
There are two major types of meditation: focused, and bigger picture. The second type is where you'll end up jumping from one thought to another, similar to dreams. Analyzing the way your mind "jumps" can give you much better understanding of yourself. And that in turn will impact your abilities to philosophize, even alter your metaphysical views.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Garwa Mayharr

• Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46222 by
I do think that the whole 'don't think' part is a potential pitfall. My understanding is that you are going to have thoughts - images, emotions, ideas - but that you shouldn't think; you should try not to focus on any one thought, to avoid following the thoughts of say ... work tomorrow into thinking about the tasks tomorrow, getting to work, who you might see. Just let the thought drift in and drift out, then let the next thought drift in and drift out - don't hang onto any of them.

Getting good at that lets you begin to see your own thoughts.

• ren
    Registered
  • Not anywhere near the back of the bus
More
12 years 4 months ago #46224 by ren
Replied by ren on topic Re: Meditation - so easy! NOT!
Common misconception...

Meditation is NOT about emptying one's mind, it is in fact supposed to fill it. With the right things. You meditate upon SOMETHING. Always.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies.
The following user(s) said Thank You:

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi