• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 9 months ago #40443 by RyuJin
i've recently been seeing advertisements for an xbox 360 game called ufc trainer. for those who may not have seen it yet, it's a mma (mixed martial arts) training program that uses the xbox360 motion capture device called the kinect. i'm curious as to whether anyone has used the program(i call it that since i don't view it as a game) or not. my brother in law is planning on buying it so at some point i plan on examining it for myself.

this got me to thinking....considering the advancements in basic motion capture technology, this may be a good way for people to learn at home as it would greatly reduce cost (45-65 dollars for the program vs. 20 dollars or so per lesson in a dojo, at least that's what i was paying prior to going in the military), and from what i can gather the motion capture enables the program to correct your technique...

either way i figure it would be good to stir up convo and see what others think of this

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Jestor
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
    Registered
  • What you want to learn, determines your teacher ..
More
12 years 9 months ago #40447 by Jestor
My son has a Kinect (motion camera) for his Xbox, and boy, is it FUN!!

but it only has raw capabilities.... it can see limbs, and a basic outline of the body, but it is not (yet) much good for intricate hand holds....

And although it reads a body, it has trouble when one body blocks the line of sight from the other body....

It would be ok for forms I guess....

BTW, I am not much of a dancer, that game whooped my butt!!..

On walk-about...

Sith ain't Evil...
Jedi ain't Saints....

"Bake or bake not. There is no fry" - Sean Ching

Rite: PureLand
Former Memeber of the TOTJO Council
Master: Jasper_Ward
Current Apprentices: Viskhard, DanWerts, Llama Su, Trisskar
Former Apprentices: Knight Learn_To_Know, Knight Edan, Knight Brenna, Knight Madhatter

• RyuJin
  • Topic Author
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 9 months ago #40449 by RyuJin
lol.....i've been hearing alot about that dancing game from my brother in law....

he said my neices and nephews all have rhythm now thanks to it....

personally i'm not much for dancing....not my thing i suppose...nor singing....now drums, tenor saxaphone, or piano/keyboard sure...

Quotes:

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi