What system do you study?

• RyuJin
  • Master
  • Master
    Registered
  • The Path of Ignorance is Paved with Fear
More
12 years 5 months ago #44313 by RyuJin
i study my own style now...eventually all martial artist(unless they're purists)find that one particular style is not all encompassing, they each have strengths and weaknesses...and once you've studied enough styles for a long enough time you find that many of the styles share techniques and history. after all the human body can only move in so many ways, and if you go back far enough in time you see that humans were not so diverse and not so scattered....one of the styles i've studied(uechi-ryu) is a direct descendant of shaolin, and another style i studied(shuri-te) is a predecesor to kempo yet both styles share a kata form.

Warning: Spoiler!

Quotes:
Warning: Spoiler!

J.L.Lawson,Master Knight, M.div, Eastern Studies S.I.G. Advisor (Formerly Known as the Buddhist Rite)
Former Masters: GM Kana Seiko Haruki , Br.John
Current Apprentices: Baru
Former Apprentices:Adhara(knight), Zenchi (knight)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 5 months ago #44371 by
Replied by on topic Re: What system do you study?
I'm studying shotokan karate right now. I like it, because of the lack of contact and general atmosphere. I'd prefer it to be a little more focused on your body and mind rather than on the self-defense, but I wouldn't change it to anything else right now. I'd like to study a different system when I decide that my achievements in karate are enough for me, but it won't happen anytime soon :).

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 4 months ago #46745 by
New here but a student of martial arts for a number of years. Studied Tae Kwon Do way way back. Remember enough to get a sprain! Studied Yang style Tai Chi and Tsing Yi Chuan since 1998. No belts given in those but you only realy get good after you do it for years and years and are old with a long flowing beard!

The past of year + been studying at a multidiscipline school. Mu Du Kwan and Hu Kuk Mu Sul (which is very similar to hapkido) Getting ready to test for green in both styles in Jan. Love it getting by butt back in shape.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #48942 by
Replied by on topic Re:What system do you study?
I Am currently studying: Kenpo karate, Brazillian jiu jitsu , and MMA. I also did Judo recently and would like to go back once my injuries and work schedule work out.

I also studied archery and medieval sword play in school when I was younger.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49067 by
I've been training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Krav Maga for quite a while now, and have had the unfortunate experience of using both on the field of combat. I think both are definitely good for self defense and physical fitness, and I definitely appreciate that they were useful when I needed them most.

I've been wanting to get into archery (since I think guns won't be so reliable at the end of the world), but I don't really know where to start or if there is even a place to shoot around here.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 years 3 months ago #49117 by
I recently began training in wu style tai chi ch'uan. I chose it because while it is a legitimate form of self -defense, it is wholly built as a form of dynamic meditation. It's based on channeling and controlling your energy and raising awareness of your body and mind's connectedness. Extremely relaxing but also a great core workout at the same time.

Moderators: ZerokevlarVerheilenChaotishRabeRiniTavi